Windows 10: Should I buy another AV or Windows 10 Security Defender is way enough?

Discus and support Should I buy another AV or Windows 10 Security Defender is way enough? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I just bought Surface Pro 6 and installed Windows 10. The AV installed with Windows 10 is Windows Defender. Is this AV good enough for all... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PIBzzz, Apr 18, 2019.

1. PIBzzz Win User

Should I buy another AV or Windows 10 Security Defender is way enough?

Hi, I just bought Surface Pro 6 and installed Windows 10. The AV installed with Windows 10 is Windows Defender. Is this AV good enough for all protections or should I buy a renown AV on the market instead?

:)

PIBzzz, Apr 18, 2019
  2. Borg 386 Win User

windows defender & security center services keep turning off

Are you running any other AV or did you have one running in the past? If you didn't use an uninstaller for the AV, then the remnants of it could be causing the problem. Normally any time you install an AV it disables Defender by default.

If you are getting any error codes please list those, that will be helpful in helping you.

As torre suggested, might be a good idea to do a reset or even a reinstall.

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

There are also some suggestions listed here:

Unable to turn on Windows Defender in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

Borg 386, Apr 18, 2019
  3. Vayra86 Win User
    Norton Security Deluxe, any issues windows 8.1/10?

What

No

Windows Defender. Done. If you want a backup, I would suggest Panda Free Cloud AV. It also does its job well, but realistically, Defender is very mature atm and doesn't conflict with most anything, hell it even has a ransomware protection now. As for malware etc. run HitmanPro and/or Antimalwarebytes once a month or so. That really does cover you, and in a much better way.

What's next, you're going to let us download more RAM? *Big Grin Should I buy another AV or Windows 10 Security Defender is way enough? :D

Vayra86, Apr 18, 2019
  4. Should I buy another AV or Windows 10 Security Defender is way enough?

"Attestation" A new feature coming to Windows Defender in Windows 10

Tech Republic - Upcoming Windows Defender feature will tell you when security fails
    This seems very promising. Microsoft is in the unique position to know what Windows should look like, even before Windows Update pushes out new changes. As long as MS can properly sync WD with WU changes AND this new features does not make any "noticeable" hit on system performance/resources, all without any false positives, this should be a big step forward for consumer security, and a blow to the bad guys - always a good thing.

Of course, there will likely be some hiccups the Windows/Microsoft/Windows Defender bashers will surely pounce on - regardless how extensive the Beta process is. But hopefully open and unbiased minds will prevail. After all, the goal is to stop the bad guys and if this gets us closer to that, that's a very good thing.

For more detailed information, see Introducing Windows Defender System Guard runtime attestation)

Bill_Bright, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

Should I buy another AV or Windows 10 Security Defender is way enough?

1. Should I buy another AV or Windows 10 Security Defender is way enough? - Similar Threads - Should buy another

2. Windows defender AV is gone..

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender AV is gone..: Suddenly defender AV is gone - it doesn't appear in the security at glance menu. As if it is not installed. How can I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-av-is-gone/125fbdb3-a6c2-48d2-a9c2-c6ce012c35e3
  3. Trying to Remove Security Manager AV Defender

Trying to Remove Security Manager AV Defender: Security Manager AV Defender has somehow become installed on my computer and I can't get rid of it. It is constantly updating or doing quick scans, which slows my computer down to a standstill. My primary virus protection is Norton. When I delete AVD, it shows up when I...
  4. Should I buy another version of Windows 10 for my new Hybrid HDD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should I buy another version of Windows 10 for my new Hybrid HDD?: Hi guys. I just got a new Hybrid HDD It's got a bit of an SSD on it as well as HDD; mostly HDD, it's for gaming. Anyway that's not the point. The point is I have been trying to make enough space on my 2 TB HDD so that I can clone it onto my 1TB Hybrid HDD so that I can run...
  5. Extra Security that works with Windows Defender AV

Extra Security that works with Windows Defender AV: Hi, A free trial with McAfee has just expired. I don't want to use McAfee because it turns off Windows Defender. Can anyone suggest a good provider for extra protection that will still leave Defender in Active Mode? Thanks...
  6. Should i buy another copy of Windows ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Should i buy another copy of Windows ?: I have windows 10 home on my Dell Inspiron laptop and right now am planning to buy a PC. Can i use windows again on the pc or should i buy another copy of windows ?...
  7. Is Windows Defender an AV program, and is it enough?

Is Windows Defender an AV program, and is it enough?: When I google what Windows Defender is, it's sometimes referred to as an anti-spyware program, and other times it's called an anti-virus program. Is it both? And is it good enough to use it instead of also getting something like Avast as an anti-virus? I would hope that...
  8. do i need additional security or will Defender be enough

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    do i need additional security or will Defender be enough: Do I need additional security or is windows defender enough? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-additional-security-or-will-defender-be/5087a91d-d371-4183-9541-3370882f8d21
  9. Windows Defender Security: Where are AV and Firewall logs for this in Windows 10?

Windows Defender Security: Where are AV and Firewall logs for this in Windows 10?: Hello: I'm trying to locate logs of notifications I've received from Windows Defender Security Center on my Windows 10 desktop PC Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-security-where-are-av-and/d76933e0-6e1a-49b6-9385-d4d39e33e9a2
  10. is windows defender security center is enough for my windows 10 pc?

is windows defender security center is enough for my windows 10 pc?: i am using windows defender security center and malwarebytes is this enough to protect my windows 10 pc ? will windows defender protect as other antivirus like avast, avira etc...?...