Windows 10: Should I change these bios settings?

Discus and support Should I change these bios settings? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Can anybody explain these settings in bios? I dont really understand how these settings work. [img] [img] 60040 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by yujinloh, Aug 12, 2016.

1. yujinloh Win User

Should I change these bios settings?

Can anybody explain these settings in bios?
    I dont really understand how these settings work.

Should I change these bios settings? [​IMG]

Should I change these bios settings? [​IMG]

:)

yujinloh, Aug 12, 2016

2. Should i remove these Network Adapters?

Lenovo G500 Laptop

Windows 10 Pro 1703

Hasan Bayat, Aug 12, 2016
  3. Should i remove these Network Adapters?

Those are essentially drivers for various types of network connections. For example, the WAN Miniport (PPTP) adapter (driver) is used when making a VPN connection to a PPTP VPN server. The WAN Miniport (PPOE) adapter (driver) would be used when your computer
    is connected directly to a PPOE broadband modem.

Removing them is not gonna necessarily resolve the problem you are having. You can remove the physical Qualcom adapter though.

Its possible you need to update the driver.

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot

Select Network adapters

Click Run the Troubleshooter

When complete, restart the try browsing again.

If that does not work, you likely need to update your computer drivers for the adapter.

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand network adapters

Right click each, then click uninstall

Exit Device Manager then restart

Let it redetect and reinstall the drivers.

Try browsing again.

Learn more about updating drivers:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, Aug 12, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

ACPI (Power saving mode) ACPI - Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
    Power On and Wakeup, devices which can, buy their activity start computer or wake up from sleep mode.
    RTC = Real Time Clock, allows it to set time of day for computer to start up.
    Restore on AC power loss, What happens when power to computer is cut. Last state = If it was on at the time to turn it back on when power is restored. Other setting may be to stay off even when power is restored (I would recommend that), includes using switch at the back of PSU.

On Board SATA Controller = That's controller for SATA ports where you plug in your disks (HDD. SSD or ODD), with it disabled those devices don't work.
    On board SATA mode = should have IDE, RAID and AHCI modes, last one best used with SSD drives. RAID: What is RAID storage? Webopedia Definition
    On board USB controller = Provides USB support.
    Legacy USB Support = Lets you use USB1 and 1.1 devices.
    On board audio and LAN (Local Area Network) which provides support for your wired network connections like with wired Routers etc.
    On board LAN option ROM, allows starting computer over network signal: LAN Option ROM

Except for that RAID part (if you don't use RAD array) everything else is correctly set for most cases. If you have SSD it should be set to AHCI and if HDD, IDE mode.

CountMike, Aug 12, 2016
  5. yujinloh Win User
    Thanks CountMike

yujinloh, Aug 12, 2016
  6. yujinloh Win User
    I edited my settings in bios "onboard sata mode" to native ide from raid,saved the settings and rebooted and an error of "inaccesible boot device" apeeared.
    I changed the setting back to raid and it was booting up normally.

Btw, "if you don't use RAD array" in your comments. What is this?
    I have a computer with a internal 1tb hdd and an extra hdd slot and i put my old computer 350gb hdd into that.
    At bootup it says both of the disk is "Non-raid disk". Again what does that mean?

yujinloh, Aug 12, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Raid = Redundant Array of Independent Disks, RAID - Wikipedia
    A way to connect several drives to work together in different configurations.If you don't have at least two identical disks it doesn't make sense to use RAID.

CountMike, Aug 12, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

Try changing your sata controller to AHCI Mode.

essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I change these bios settings? - Similar Threads - Should change bios

2. Should I update BIOS?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should I update BIOS?: I've been having trouble with my internet for a few months now. My laptop disconnects from Wi-Fi 1-2 times every hour, whether it's my home Wi-Fi, school Wi-Fi, or personal hotspot. When I troubleshooted a few weeks ago I got the message "a network cable is not properly...
  3. Should I change BIOS Mode to UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should I change BIOS Mode to UEFI?: Hello, I would like to dual boot Win 10 (20H2, Build 19042.804) with Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 7520. When I open "System Information" I see Bios Mode Legacy. And when I run bcedit from the command line I get: "path \Windows\system32\winload.exe". So I think this means I am...
  4. Is my bios unstable? Should I refrain from changing anything?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is my bios unstable? Should I refrain from changing anything?: Hello. Recently, I enabled a setting in my BIOS called "Virtualization." The logo appears on the screen 2 times before booting into the system. Now I have the feeling, is my bios unstable? will my pc turn on next time i shut down or restart? Important System Info: PC Model:...
  5. DELL & BIOS update - should I update BIOS?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DELL & BIOS update - should I update BIOS?: Hello, I have a Dell desktop XPS 8900, running the latest version (1903) of Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit . My new monitor is not detecting my display port cable, so I am using DVI. (The old monitor from 2007 didn't have a DP option.) I decided to check and see if I needed new...
  6. BIOS Password to prevent changing BIOS settings?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BIOS Password to prevent changing BIOS settings?: I have a laptop with BitLocker enabled with TPM with PIN protection. If an attacker steals my laptop, would they be able to access my sensitive files from the Internal hard drive if I do not set a BIOS Password to prevent the attacker from changing the BIOS settings? 139592
  7. Common bios settings that should be modified?

in Windows 10 Support
    Common bios settings that should be modified?: What are some common bios settings that improves performance? Sata power management Watch Dog Timer Amt Fast Boot Hp clear keys Those are some settings in my bios that i am curious if they are needed. (Id rather have as much performance as possible so id rather turn off...
  8. BIOS - CSM setting changed

BIOS - CSM setting changed: Steve C, those are the settings i have: OS: Windows 8, UEFI only (CSM set to Never does that?), Secure boot enabled. I've loaded BIOS defaults then set OS to Windows 8, CSM set to Never. Secure boot is enabled by default. I also enable virtualisation as my CPU supports it...
  9. Dell BIOS Update - Should I ?

Dell BIOS Update - Should I ?: Windows 10 on a Dell XPS8900 desktop tower. I am getting a message telling me there is a Dell BIOS update available and recommending that I do it. In the systray, there is a Dell icon that says my system is up to date. Should I ignore the BIOS update? Sounds major and...
  10. Should i change my DNS settings? and Why

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should i change my DNS settings? and Why: Should i change my DNS settings to an 3rd-party DNS? and why, whats the difference between the DNS from your ISP and another? .... 107249