Windows 10: Should I clean install new pc ssd, or leave old os on there.

Discus and support Should I clean install new pc ssd, or leave old os on there. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just finished my first pc, and I transfer old ssd without clean installing to see if it would work, it did! But now I'm thinking I should clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Byro1218, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Should I clean install new pc ssd, or leave old os on there.

I just finished my first pc, and I transfer old ssd without clean installing to see if it would work, it did! But now I'm thinking I should clean install so I don't have to hunt old pc drives, but the only think I want to keep is word and excel as mine and my wife resume and other documents are on there. Is that possible?

submitted by /u/Byro1218
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Byro1218, Dec 4, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Dec 4, 2019
  3. Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD to rplace failing HDD and corrupte

How to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD that will replace a failing HDD and corrupted data files in a Laptop PC?
    There seems to be a lot of old posts that touch on various subjects that I need help with but none that lump them all together. This is a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD on a Laptop PC that was previously upgraded to Windows 10 with the free upgrade just prior to the free upgrade becoming unavailable. About 6 months ago intermittent weird problems began to appear and with the help of various support groups and Windows Community we came to the conclusion that the HDD needed to be replaced(failed Seagate's drive test) with an SSD (My Choice) and a clean install of Windows 10(corrupted data files in the OS).
    I was given a URL to download and burn to DVD an ISO file of Windows 10 PRO 64bit OS. I purchased a 240GB Sandisk SSD. I don't need to partition this drive as the single C: partition is adequate for size and speed.
    Is there a step by step procedure listed somewhere that preps(formats?) the SSD using disk management for Windows 10 and then using the ISO file that I burned to a DVD, installs Windows 10 on to my SSD? I am not familiar with ISO files and am assuming that is something that is sent to you to boot from and install from when you order SW from MS.

RogerAttila, Dec 4, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Should I clean install new pc ssd, or leave old os on there.

Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD-best procedure for eliminating current windwos 10 OS on old hard drive

Don't try to copy the old OS from the HDD, it is much better to clean install Windows 10 on the SSD

If you do not have Windows 10 Installation Media Click HERE to download the Media Creation Tool (Click
    on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), you can create a bootable USB flash drive (min 4GB) using that tool or create the ISO file which you can later burn to DVD

Once you have the bootable installation media created:

• Shut down your system. remove the old HDD and install the SSD (there should be only the SSD attached to your system during the installation process)
    • Insert the Bootable Installation Media
    • Go into your BIOS and if SATA Mode is not set to AHCI, change it
    • Change the boot order so the Installation Media is top of the boot order
    • Save changes to BIOS and Reboot your system
    • The Installation should start
    • During the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement
      stored on the Microsoft Servers
    • During the installation process, your system will reboot, at that point, you may need to go into your BIOS and change the boot order so your system boots from your Hard Drive, otherwise the installation may start all over again -
      do not remove the installation media at this point
    • When Window 10 has finished installing and the desktop appears, shut your system down
    • If you have a second HDD bay install the old HDD into it and start your system
    • Make sure you can see both drives in Windows File Explorer, if not you may need to restart a couple of times for Windows to recognise both drives
    • Install any required drivers (can be obtained from the support page on the Website of the manufacturer of your system
    • When your system is up and running,
    • copy your data (files, images, music . . . etc.) from the old HDD into a temporary folder in the SSD
    • format the old HDD and name it Data Drive
    • copy the files back onto the old HDD
    • Delete the temporary folder from the SSD

That's It!

DaveM121, Dec 4, 2019
Thema:

Should I clean install new pc ssd, or leave old os on there.

1. Should I clean install new pc ssd, or leave old os on there. - Similar Threads - Should clean install

2. Can I install Windows on new SSD on old PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I install Windows on new SSD on old PC?: I built a custom PC some time ago and purchased and installed Windows 10. I recently built a new PC where I did a fresh install of a new purchased Windows 11 USB and moved the SSD from the old computer to the new one.I want to give my old PC to my parents to use. Can I...
  3. Installing new OS on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing new OS on new SSD.: I have Windows 10 on a separate SSD that has failed. I’d like to simply install a new SSD, and also the most up-to-date Windows OS. Since the current OS is on a failing, non-bootable drive, how do I install a new OS on a clean drive? I am not aware of any bootable OS’s on any...
  4. Installing new OS on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing new OS on new SSD.: I have Windows 10 on a separate SSD that has failed. I’d like to simply install a new SSD, and also the most up-to-date Windows OS. Since the current OS is on a failing, non-bootable drive, how do I install a new OS on a clean drive? I am not aware of any bootable OS’s on any...
  5. Installing new OS on new SSD.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Should I migrate my HDD data to new SSD or CLEAN INSTALL??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I migrate my HDD data to new SSD or CLEAN INSTALL??: I,ve been using a hard drive on my pc for 3 years now and im finally making the switch to an ssd(SAMSUNG 860Evo 250GB) but i have one question my hard drive is split into two and the one that contains the OS is currently 123/344 gb.If i migrate it my ssd would already be half...
  7. Clean install to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install to new SSD: I just purchased a SSD to replace my HDD and I am trying to install windows 10 on the new SSD. I have the key, and the cloning didn’t work for me. I am just looking for a fresh new install on the new SSD so I can remove the old HDD. Any and all help is greatly appreciated....
  8. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  9. W10 OS Clean Install on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 OS Clean Install on SSD: I'm currently wanting to install a 120GB SSD into my PC. 1) What I want to know is, will the OS on the HDD conflict with the one on the SSD after I do a clean install on it, and make it the boot disc? All I want to use it for is the OS and the games I'm playing the...
  10. Clean install on new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install on new SSD: Hello Everyone, I intend to buy a new SSD in the coming weeks, not sure if its a Samsung Evo 250, or 500 GB drive, To install windows 10, I plan to do a Fresh Clean install of windows 10 on the new SSD, I have seen so many ways on this Forum, on the best way to do a Clean...