Windows 10: Should I consider a 2nd Win10 copy for a work HD?

Discus and support Should I consider a 2nd Win10 copy for a work HD? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Allow me to explain... Soon I'll start a job at home that requires me to use Windows 10 Home. At the moment I have a pc that came with Win10 already.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by drpeppercan, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Should I consider a 2nd Win10 copy for a work HD?

Allow me to explain...

Soon I'll start a job at home that requires me to use Windows 10 Home.
    At the moment I have a pc that came with Win10 already. I have 3 accounts, for each of us in the family.
    I do have backups of the whole HD of course.

But to keep things even smoother and further from technical difficulties along the way, would it be a good idea to get another HD with its own copy of Win10 boot from. That way if something goes south with the personal HD, it won't affect my work HD.
    Or should there be no reason to expect such problems on the first place?
    Or there is a better solution?

Thanks guys!

:)

drpeppercan, Sep 24, 2018

2. New build PC w/SSD and new HD + new Win10 Retail usb + old HD with Win10 oem

I was informed that I can not use my current copy of Win10 on my new build because it's OEM. Soooo, I bought ANOTHER copy of Win10 Retail on usb from the Microsoft Store.

Now my question:

I'll install the new copy of Win10 onto my new computer's SSD and will be set to boot from it. All my pics, files, music, etc is on my old HD (along with Win10 oem). Since I'll be booting from the SSD with the new copy of Win10, will it cause problems if
    I simply add the old HD to my new build, to access all my files? Or do I need to painstakingly transfer everything from it to the new HD through a usb?

I won't be able to run both computers at the same time because I'll be using the power supply from the old one.

Any suggestions?

MichaelDeJarnette, Sep 24, 2018
  3. 2nd Hard Drive

Device manager tells me that my 2nd HD is working properly but win10 cannot see it ( file explorer)?

Any help appreciated.

David Davey, Sep 24, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Should I consider a 2nd Win10 copy for a work HD?

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Should I consider a 2nd Win10 copy for a work HD? [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Sep 24, 2018
Thema:

Should I consider a 2nd Win10 copy for a work HD?

1. Should I consider a 2nd Win10 copy for a work HD? - Similar Threads - Should consider 2nd

2. Extremely slow HD to HD copying in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extremely slow HD to HD copying in Windows 10: Why does it take so much longer to copy a file from download directory on the C: drive to the file storage on the E: drive than it takes to download the same file from the internet? Both are high-speed WD Black 6TB drives. This happens on multiple computers, and it has been...
  3. Should I copy my Win10 image to my new computer

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Should I copy my Win10 image to my new computer: Currently I have a 2015 NUC i7 computer that is running fine. With Acronis 2016, I have a current image of C:, the program/application drive. A new NUC i7 is arriving with Windows 10 Pro installed. I'd like not to have to reinstall all of the programs/applications and just...
  4. Installed 2nd internal HD SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed 2nd internal HD SSD: I've installed a 2nd HD in my Acer ATC-710, It is not recognized by Windows 10. Help please. Doug Reed *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-2nd-internal-hd-ssd/00451f62-2c60-45b8-90c5-0a5564e3a3c1
  5. Replace hd and win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace hd and win10: Acer 7551-7422 hard drive totally dead. They have never backed up the computer. The computer did upgrade quite a while back from Windows 7 home premium to Windows 10. I am installing a new ssd. I was told I needed to reinstall Win7 then do an upgrade but for some reason that...
  6. Win10 copying

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 copying: when I went to bed, the copy was 0%. When I got up, it was not there. The browser windows were also not there. I tried to look thru "computer management" > task viewer, but could not see anything related to copying. I am running Win10 ver 1909. - - - Updated - - - The copy...
  7. Win10 calculator issue - leap year not considered

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 calculator issue - leap year not considered: Hi, Is this me or someone else has encountered the same problem with Win10 calculator as it doesn't consider 29th Feb during leap year and while calculating the difference it has a day less that actual results. Screen-print below : [ATTACH]...
  8. Should we consider and email service change?

in Browsers and Email
    Should we consider and email service change?: My prior post stated some email issues that we are trying to figure out. At present our ISP is Ameritech.net and we are using mail.Yahoo.com, and we have been having some small problems with our emails both the wife and I. We have been using Windows Essential 2012 for our...
  9. Windows 10 explore - coping from a card to SSD HD - 1st copy paste (13G) worked but 2nd...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 explore - coping from a card to SSD HD - 1st copy paste (13G) worked but 2nd...: This computer was purchased with Windows 10 installed and has worked fine for the past 6 months. It's only when I tried the two copy paste back to back that the system hung. In order to get the system back I had to force a reboot. No files lost. Could it be there's a...
  10. Considering win10, need to know a few things

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Considering win10, need to know a few things: Hi all - I've been on win7 since the beta days, have been building and customizing PCs since 4.77Mhz was the norm, have my interface customized to look like win98 (icons, start menu, no animations, minimal services, etc), and am happy with its instantaneous responsiveness and...