Windows 10: Should I de-activate Windows 10 license in defective laptop before repair?

Discus and support Should I de-activate Windows 10 license in defective laptop before repair? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I have a new HP laptop that did not come with Windows 10. I bought a retail license USB and installed the OS myself. The laptop turned out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Metroxed, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Metroxed Win User

Should I de-activate Windows 10 license in defective laptop before repair?

Hello,

I have a new HP laptop that did not come with Windows 10. I bought a retail license USB and installed the OS myself.

The laptop turned out to be defective, and HP will collect it and try to fix it or replace it.

They may need to do a full reset to factory and/or send me a new laptop. I don't want to lose the license I bought, should I deactivate it before it is collected so I can activate it again when fixed or on the new one? How do I make sure I don't lose the license?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Metroxed, Aug 17, 2020

2. Windows 10 licensing a repaired laptop

Changing the motherboard would invalidate the free upgrade.

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Aug 17, 2020
  3. Eng.Badr Win User
    Repairing Center License and activation

Hello,

I want to select the right option to my business to provide a genuine services. My plan is to establish a certified and accredit computer and mobile repairing center that support customer to use legitimate and valid license of their Windows Os.

In the first phase of project I will only fix the laptops and PCs , however I want to use valid licenses with affordable prices to my customers. The other stores may use illegal KMS service to activate Windows with very cheap prices which let customers go to
    this option. However, this make their computer subjected to malware and other security and functionality issues. AS an example they may format computer and install a fresh copy of windows and they activate windows for $8 to $10 only.

I thought about two types however both may not adequate for repairing centers. and I still not sure which path to go with.

• Reseller
    • Registered Refurbisher
    What is the best partnership program suitable for small repairing center?

Eng.Badr, Aug 17, 2020
  4. P4-630 Win User

DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

Click to expand... Yeah I went to that site, why do I need to buy a key?
    I won't buy a key, stupid.

I'll revert back to windows 7 then.

When I still was on windows 7, about a year ago I added 4GB extra ram which is a total of 8GB now,
    is that causing the problem?

P4-630, Aug 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Should I de-activate Windows 10 license in defective laptop before repair? - Similar Threads - Should activate license

2. Repairing defective windows 10 Volume Shadowcopy Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repairing defective windows 10 Volume Shadowcopy Service: I have a defective Volume Shadowcopy Service on my Windows 10 Pro. It seems that the service SW_PROV does not exist on my system. It is completely unregistered in my system. Can I either: 1 download an update for VSS and or SW_PROV; or 2 solve the problem by upgrading to...
  3. Repairing defective windows 10 Volume Shadowcopy Service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repairing defective windows 10 Volume Shadowcopy Service: I have a defective Volume Shadowcopy Service on my Windows 10 Pro. It seems that the service SW_PROV does not exist on my system. It is completely unregistered in my system. Can I either: 1 download an update for VSS and or SW_PROV; or 2 solve the problem by upgrading to...
  4. Repairing defective windows 10 Volume Shadowcopy Service

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. What license should I get for Windows 10 Pro on my laptop ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What license should I get for Windows 10 Pro on my laptop ?: I want to be able to transfer it. There's a sale in a local retailer now and I'm confused with this OEM and Retail branding. What is the difference between these? I want a Win 10 Pro key which I can transfer from one PCs to another if needs be. submitted by /u/Deranox...
  6. How do i activate my windows 10 before license runs out

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do i activate my windows 10 before license runs out: I keep having pop ups saying my license is going to run out? Please could someone help?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-activate-my-windows-10-before-license/84b8e99b-6002-469f-8e89-2ce092930790
  7. Repairing Center License and activation

Repairing Center License and activation: Hello, I want to select the right option to my business to provide a genuine services. My plan is to establish a certified and accredit computer and mobile repairing center that support customer to use legitimate and valid license of their Windows Os. In the first phase of...
  8. De-activation of Windows 10

De-activation of Windows 10: I am currently on hold, awaiting the fourth person from Microsoft customer support to fix this problem (on the phone for over 4 hours now)... After upgrading my PC with a new motherboard, my Windows 10 Professional de-activated. It was fully activated and working fine...
  9. Should I reinstall Kaspersky Before turning Win De

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should I reinstall Kaspersky Before turning Win De: Hi I am in the process of a Clean install Windows 10 I had to Completely Uninstall Kaspersky (Full Version) and reading the thread text_156.txt re - cannot install Mcvee or other Virus programs with Windows Defender still working? Does that also apply to Kaspersky ? Q -...
  10. Should I reinstall Kaspersky Befor turning Win De

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should I reinstall Kaspersky Befor turning Win De: Hi I am in the process of a Clean install Windows 10 I had to Completely Uninstall Kaspersky (Full Version) and reading the thread text_156.txt re - cannot install Mcvee or other Virus programs with Windows Defender still working? Does that also apply to Kaspersky ? Q -...