Windows 10: Should I disable my TPM before upgrading from Win7 to Win10?

Discus and support Should I disable my TPM before upgrading from Win7 to Win10? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So I'm finally making the plunge to Win10 now that Win7 is no longer officially supported. I wanted to make sure I don't lock myself out and upgrade... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by johnnyscience, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Should I disable my TPM before upgrading from Win7 to Win10?

So I'm finally making the plunge to Win10 now that Win7 is no longer officially supported.

I wanted to make sure I don't lock myself out and upgrade properly.

Should I disable my TPM before starting the Win10 upgrade and then just re-enable it once I get the upgrade complete?

Or does the Win10 recognize it and setup properly while it's still "Owned/Enabled" from my Win7 install?

The TPM is 1.2 and that's all my current mobo supports, so I'll just have to stick that that for now and worry about TPM 2.0 later down the road when I do a full system overhaul in a couple years.

Also, I have my SSDs setup with FDE through BIOS and don't want/need Windows 10 encryption slowing anything down.

How can I make sure that Bitlocker isn't enabled on top of my FDE, but my TPM is still enabled?

Thanks!

:)

johnnyscience, Jan 16, 2020
  2. dkwong55 Win User

Win7 to Win10 upgrade issue ... 0xC1900101-0x30017 and then 0x40017

hi, Andre,

yes, i think my note did say that i already created the bootable ISO on a DVD and started the Win10 upgrade from there. i already contacted the vendor and he gave me a list of Win10 drivers, suggested the bootable ISO upgrade method but did not recommend
    a new BIOS update.

My PC is a ZOTAC CI320none with an Intel processor running a licensed Win7 Home Premium SP1.

dkwong55, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Ethan.ASI Win User
    Issue after upgrading TPM firmware

Hello,

This is the update that I am trying to accomplish: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4096377/windows-10-update-security-processor-tpm-firmware

However after completing the steps that are listed within this article I am still not able to complete the actual upgrade. I still have the pop up that states i need to upgrade.

I followed the following steps:

1. ensure all upgrades are up to date.

2. download the specific .EXE firmware update file and run it on my machine as an administrator

3. clear TPM and restart.

however simple these steps are I have not been able to complete the update.

I am on a HP Z240 SFF 1.2 TPM

What can I do to ensure that my TPM is updated to the latest firmware?

Ethan.ASI, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Should I disable my TPM before upgrading from Win7 to Win10?

Win7 --> Win10 upgrade

When MS made the Win10 free upgrade available, I upgraded my win7 system to win10. Some time after that, I had a disk failure and reinstalled win7 because it was my understanding the free win10 upgrade was no longer available. That was a year and a half
    or so ago. Now I was just reading that, in fact, Microsoft keeps that information on a server and that I could, in fact, reinstall win10. Is that correct? I would really have to put win10 on and then find out it wasn't licensed and I had to go back and reinstall
    win7.

BobKatcher12487, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Should I disable my TPM before upgrading from Win7 to Win10?

1. Should I disable my TPM before upgrading from Win7 to Win10? - Similar Threads - Should disable TPM

2. problem upgrade from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem upgrade from win7 to win10: Install of Windows 10 fails in SAFE_OS during REPLICATE_OC 0x8007001F - 0x20006 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-upgrade-from-win7-to-win10/786ad7bb-b0d8-4a6f-81c1-7898c27765d8
  3. problem upgrade from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem upgrade from win7 to win10: Install of Windows 10 fails in SAFE_OS during REPLICATE_OC 0x8007001F - 0x20006 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-upgrade-from-win7-to-win10/786ad7bb-b0d8-4a6f-81c1-7898c27765d8
  4. upgrade from win7 to win10 remotely

in Windows 10 Customization
    upgrade from win7 to win10 remotely: Hi all, do you think it is possible to upgrade from win7pro to win10pro completely in remote? I use teamviewer what happens during the several reboots? thanks Ale...
  5. upgrade problems from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade problems from win7 to win10: Hi, Having some issues upgrading a windows 7 system to windows 10. Ran the MS upgrade using mediacreationtool1909.exe on an older AMD processor (Athlon II X2 250 3.00ghz 32 bit) and the supporting motherboard, no other devices. It ran for awhile and then failed with this...
  6. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  7. Retrying win10 upgrade from win7

Retrying win10 upgrade from win7: I accidently downloaded and tried to install the 32 bit version. My system is 64 bit. The download/install goes through the steps until it gets to 27%. I've tried three times It stops the install and resets the system back to win7. The error code is "0x8007005-0x2000A...
  8. revert from Win10 upgrade to Win7

revert from Win10 upgrade to Win7: This is essentially a FYI post. I recently decided to upgrade from my Win7 pro to Win10 pro because I got an announcement that one of my programs (TurboTax) would not install or run on Win7 next year. I did this using some links / tutorials in this forum. They were pretty...
  9. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716
  10. Should I upgrade to Win10 from Win7? If so what is the easiest way?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I upgrade to Win10 from Win7? If so what is the easiest way?: My buddy built me a PC a while ago with Windows 7 at the time. Should I upgrade to Win 10 while it's still free? I have a SSD that has Win7 on it and a HDD as well. If you recommend that I do upgrade, how do I do it, I'm not familiar with this. Also, should I do a fresh...