Windows 10: Should I disable Pagefile and/or Hiberfile?

Discus and support Should I disable Pagefile and/or Hiberfile? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was told to disable these because I have an SSD for Windows. Is that still a recommended practice? I'm getting mixed (and old) opinions when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Sympatoo, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Should I disable Pagefile and/or Hiberfile?

I was told to disable these because I have an SSD for Windows.

Is that still a recommended practice? I'm getting mixed (and old) opinions when I Google it.

submitted by /u/Sympatoo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Sympatoo, Feb 24, 2021
  2. Drone Win User

Deleting Hiberfil & Pagefile

Pagefile size depends on RAM, just find optimal value and stick to that.

If you use SSD and want more free space then disable System Restore. It is far more efficient than disabling hiberfil

After disabling hibernation hiberfil.sys gets deleted automatically.

Drone, Feb 24, 2021
  3. makwy2 Win User
    Deleting Hiberfil & Pagefile

Howdy,

So I have a 60gb SSD with Windows 7 and Office on it (all specs are listed <--- under my username). I have a 12gb pagefile and a 9gb hiberfil, is it possible to delete those or make it so that hiberfil at the very least is no longer created? I just want a little free space on there for future use.

Thoughts?

makwy2, Feb 24, 2021
  4. Should I disable Pagefile and/or Hiberfile?

How to efficiently manage a huge pagefil and hiberfil

Hello Frejus,

In addition to what Roth posted, you can use the method in the tutorial below to reduce the size of the page file. If you start getting an out of memory error for anything, then it means you need to increase the page file size.

Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10

If you do not use hibernate or Fast Startup, then you could just disable hibernate to free up and recover the space used by the hiberfil.sys file.

Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

If you do not use hibernate but do use Fast Startup, then you could specify the hiberfile type as reduced to save space.

Specify Hiberfile Type as Full or Reduced in Windows 10

Shawn Brink, Feb 24, 2021
Thema:

Should I disable Pagefile and/or Hiberfile?

1. Should I disable Pagefile and/or Hiberfile? - Similar Threads - Should disable Pagefile

2. System Volume Information and hiberfil , pagefile taking more than 60GB , How to prevent...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Volume Information and hiberfil , pagefile taking more than 60GB , How to prevent...: Hi All,In my system System Volume Information and hiberfil , pagefile taking more than 60GB , How to prevent creating these folders and files...
  3. System Volume Information and hiberfil , pagefile taking more than 60GB , How to prevent...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Volume Information and hiberfil , pagefile taking more than 60GB , How to prevent...: Hi All,In my system System Volume Information and hiberfil , pagefile taking more than 60GB , How to prevent creating these folders and files...
  4. System Volume Information and hiberfil , pagefile taking more than 60GB , How to prevent...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to efficiently manage a huge pagefil and hiberfil

How to efficiently manage a huge pagefil and hiberfil: Hello, I'm on an HP Zbook mobile workstation with 1To of harddrive and 64Go of RAM win 10 pro. I just noticed today that my pagefil.sys is 67108864 Ko and my hiberfil.sis is 66985172 Ko. Both make already 127Go which is very big. I would like to know if : 1- I can delete...
  6. PageFile

PageFile: I'm really in need of pc storage, I tried everything to empty the PageFile.sys at shutdown by changing the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 1 on the registry, and I tried to change it's location to my E drive where I have more space by nothing won't work the file stay in C...
  7. What should I set my pagefile to after upgrading my ram?

in Windows 10 Support
    What should I set my pagefile to after upgrading my ram?: Topic, What is the minimum size I should set my pagefile too so that I won't run into any problems? Currently I have 8 gb of ram and tomorrow I plan to add another 8 gb for 16 Gb total. DDR4 2133mhz if your curious what type or if that even matters. My Os is on a SSD so when...
  8. Should I disable the pagefile?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Should I disable the pagefile?: Just curious if I have enough memory to disable the pagefile without causing any harm?? [img] I have no idea how this happened! It's an older laptop that hasn't been booted in a year or so. It really has 8 GB of system memory, but apparently, Windows 7 forgot the...
  9. Should I disable Superfetch?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I disable Superfetch?: I know it loads programs to the RAM so they can open faster and actually It doesn't really bother me but I just want to ask - Does it really improve performance that much? My system runs pretty fast, considering its age, and I'm just wondering, will there be a significant...
  10. PageFile what should it be set too??

in Windows 10 Support
    PageFile what should it be set too??: Hi All, I am trying to determine the Proper Size for my Pagefile.. I have seen numerous posts and lots of different info.. Ithink I am supposed to et it at 1.5 to 2.0 times my Ram amount.. I was wondering what the experts had to say about this.. 83783