Windows 10: Should I disable windows defender?

Discus and support Should I disable windows defender? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I want to disable windows defender as it's taking around 14-15% of my CPU alone on idle. Is it ok if I disable windows defender even if I don't insert... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sifat Ullah, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Should I disable windows defender?

I want to disable windows defender as it's taking around 14-15% of my CPU alone on idle. Is it ok if I disable windows defender even if I don't insert any pendrive in my PC and don't go to any shadey websites or even download anything?

:)

Sifat Ullah, Jan 26, 2022

2. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly you are willing to disable Windows Defender from your system. I would like to know few more things to understand the issue in a better way.

• Why are you trying to disable Windows Defender? Are you planning to install any third party security software?
    • From where you have followed the steps to disable Windows defender using registry?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator?

The steps which you have mentioned to disable Windows Defender using gpedit.msc is correct. If you are unable to disable it then you may do that by stopping the service responsible for Windows Defender. Here are steps which you may follow to perform the
    same task.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each and press stop.

If you will stop the service responsible for Windows Defender then it will not run till it is stopped. Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jan 26, 2022
  3. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Dear ramesh,

I too agree with Farah in that the options to start, stop Windows Defender are not clickable. There should be a way to stop the WD

Azad Rahimtoola, Jan 26, 2022
  4. Should I disable windows defender?

Windows Defender disables itself

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing the issue on Windows defender.

I will certainly help you with this.

I would like to inform you that if you have other antivirus on your computer, so Windows defender automatically

disable itself.

If you don’t have any other antivirus on computer then I would suggest you to check the services for Windows defender:

Steps:

• Close all application and program and reboot the computer.

• Press Windows key+R.

• Type services.msc and press enter.

• From the list, you will see two services for Windows defender.

• Right click on both the services one at a time.

• Click on properties.

• Under general tab, select automatic from startup type.

• Click on start and then click on apply and then ok.

• Reboot the computer and check if it helps.

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Jan 26, 2022
Thema:

Should I disable windows defender?

1. Should I disable windows defender? - Similar Threads - Should disable defender

2. I have Windows defender but disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have Windows defender but disabled: There are no options to enable it and don't do scans. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-windows-defender-but-disabled/91579f47-ac37-4f43-84aa-c4eda0d5370a
  3. I have Windows defender but disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I have Windows defender but disabled: There are no options to enable it and don't do scans. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-windows-defender-but-disabled/91579f47-ac37-4f43-84aa-c4eda0d5370a
  4. How Should The Windows Defender Be?

How Should The Windows Defender Be?: Dear Sir/Madam, How's things?,How should the Windows Defender react to a dangerous downloaded file or program?,because in my case the dangerous downloaded file/s wasn't fully detected or simply just fully allowed to go in and once installed after not seeing any warning popups...
  5. Should I disable windows defender?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I disable windows defender?: I want to disable windows defender as it's taking around 14-15% of my CPU alone on idle. Is it ok if I disable windows defender even if I don't insert any pendrive in my PC and don't go to any shadey websites or even download anything?...
  6. Should I disable windows defender?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I disable windows defender?: I want to disable windows defender as it's taking around 14-15% of my CPU alone on idle. Is it ok if I disable windows defender even if I don't insert any pendrive in my PC and don't go to any shadey websites or even download anything?...
  7. I cannot disable Windows Defender

I cannot disable Windows Defender: I don’t want to use any types of antivirus. I do not need Windows Defender either and keeps disabling it. But each time I update Windows 10 this software comes back. Please, help me disable and uninstall it....
  8. Windows Defender... or should I renew Bitdefender?

Windows Defender... or should I renew Bitdefender?: I see the last thread on Windows Defender went off topic very quickly. I have have had paid-for Bitdefender installed for a couple of years and it is up for renewal soon. I have been wondering if Windows Defender would be an adequate substitute. It's not a matter of cost just...
  9. Should I disable the pagefile?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Should I disable the pagefile?: Just curious if I have enough memory to disable the pagefile without causing any harm?? [img] I have no idea how this happened! It's an older laptop that hasn't been booted in a year or so. It really has 8 GB of system memory, but apparently, Windows 7 forgot the...
  10. Should I disable Superfetch?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I disable Superfetch?: I know it loads programs to the RAM so they can open faster and actually It doesn't really bother me but I just want to ask - Does it really improve performance that much? My system runs pretty fast, considering its age, and I'm just wondering, will there be a significant...