Windows 10: Should I ditch antivirus and just use Windows Defender?

Discus and support Should I ditch antivirus and just use Windows Defender? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I use Avast and MBAM. AdwCleaner from time time. I only have MBAM on my MacBook. Should I ditch Avast and use the inbuilt Windows Defender? Thing is, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jaigomes, Oct 30, 2018.

1. jaigomes Win User

Should I ditch antivirus and just use Windows Defender?

I use Avast and MBAM. AdwCleaner from time time. I only have MBAM on my MacBook. Should I ditch Avast and use the inbuilt Windows Defender? Thing is, I don’t trust the inbuilt one enough to actually be effective. Will I get a performance gain doing this?

:)

jaigomes, Oct 30, 2018
  2. afornal Win User

Defender AntiVirus

There are 4 options under Defender. Two refer to AntiVirus; AntiVirus Network Inspection Service & AntiVirus Services. Under Startup Type these two are listed as manual and the Status column said Inspection Service is running. When I clicked on the Start
    button in Properties, I got an immediate message: "Win.. Def.. Anti.. Serv.. on local comp.. started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

afornal, Oct 30, 2018
  3. Windows Defender - antivirus?

Windows defender is a built in antivirus, that detects all type of threats.You do not need to install any 3rd party antivirus.

In windows 7 and earlier Microsoft security essentials was to be used with windows defender for a full system protection, but in Windows 8 and later windows defender's capabilities have been increased to make it a full fledged antivirus.

I suggest rolling with Windows Defender (preinstalled)+Malwarebytes for a full system security.

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 30, 2018
  4. Should I ditch antivirus and just use Windows Defender?

Decent free antivirus?

Oh and just in case its for an older O/S

this little nugget of goodness
    Still not on Windows 10? Fine, sighs Microsoft, here are its antivirus tools for Windows 7, 8.1
    Redmond extends ATP to older builds, adds third-party links

dorsetknob, Oct 30, 2018
Thema:

Should I ditch antivirus and just use Windows Defender?

1. Should I ditch antivirus and just use Windows Defender? - Similar Threads - Should ditch antivirus

2. Can I use Windows Defender with another antivirus?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can I use Windows Defender with another antivirus?: Is it OK for my computer to use Windows Defender and another antivirus such as Kaspersky or Avast? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/can-i-use-windows-defender-with-another-antivirus/e3d03007-606d-4c8f-96a6-c4d9cd76a91d
  3. Is windows defender sufficient or is it just a resource hog? Am I using the wrong antivirus?

Is windows defender sufficient or is it just a resource hog? Am I using the wrong antivirus?: Is windows defender a sufficient malware defense solution? How would a Microsoft representative answer that question? ie what am I missing? Considering it's resource consumption, it should be more than sufficient. Im guessing it takes an average of 25% of system...
  4. Remove McAfee and use Windows Defender as AntiVirus

Remove McAfee and use Windows Defender as AntiVirus: How do I get rid of McAfee AV so that I can use Windows Defender? I just started up my new Asus GL703GE Laptop for first time out of the box. After all updates were installed, I am trying to get rid of McAfee so that I can use Windows Defender as my AV. After many googles,...
  5. windows defender antivirus

windows defender antivirus: hi, in my windows defender security center's virus and threat protection it says "Your virus and threat protection is managed by your organization". How can i change it....
  6. Use other than Defender for antivirus

Use other than Defender for antivirus: I am just curious how many people disable Defender and install another antivirus!! 134425
  7. Should I use McAfee antivirus program or Windows Defender?

Should I use McAfee antivirus program or Windows Defender?: I don't know what Windows Defender is about so I bought McAfee antivirus program. Please help me understand what is best, as I'm a retired person with fixed income and I don't know much about computer. I use a laptop. I was scammed once and paid hundred of dollars. That's why...
  8. windows defender antivirus

windows defender antivirus: my pc windows defender antivirus suddenly stoppped. i tried to turn it on or even restarting but its denying .its always displaying a "out of date" message .i am trying to update it but no progress...
  9. Should I ditch antivirus and just use Windows Defender?

Should I ditch antivirus and just use Windows Defender?: I use Avast and MBAM. AdwCleaner from time time. I only have MBAM on my MacBook. Should I ditch Avast and use the inbuilt Windows Defender? Thing is, I don’t trust the inbuilt one enough to actually be effective. Will I get a performance gain doing this? 120725
  10. Should I get Antivirus?

Should I get Antivirus?: Hi, I'm just wondering is it enough to have Windows 10 built in Windows Defender, or should I get 3rd party Antivirus? I mean is that Defender full functioning Antivirus or it's just for some malware/spyware and etc? 71882

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my hp computer came with mcafee antivirus as the default security program. should i keep it?

2. should i ditch windows phone