Windows 10: Should I drive scan my main drive?

Discus and support Should I drive scan my main drive? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; so for the past few months I have been losing random data, every time I turn on my pc I have have been losing data it used to be 385 gb free now I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ASIFaziz4, May 18, 2022.

1. ASIFaziz4 Win User

Should I drive scan my main drive?

so for the past few months I have been losing random data, every time I turn on my pc I have have been losing data it used to be 385 gb free now I have 336 gb free and I only used 20 gb. i knew it was a problem with my drive because every time i boot my pc it drive checks my main drive and repairs. I was checking file explorer and noticed it said drive had an error. it asked me to repair so i was wondering should I do it or will it just be the same result as when i boot up my pc, says repairing but does nothing. does anyone have suggestions, should i at least try?Note: my pc is custom built an

:)

ASIFaziz4, May 18, 2022
  2. JoeJY Win User

Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

I have Defender Windows 10. I tried using custom scan to select and scan external drives. The screen listing the drives comes up, but the "OK" button remains grayed out so unable to scan any of the drives listed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JoeJY, May 18, 2022
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Error: problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it when connecting an HD drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To get a clear picture of the issue, we will need the following details:

• When exactly are you receiving the error message?
    • Have you tried connecting the drive to any other USB port?
    • Are you able to access the drive on any other computer?
    • What is the make and model of the computer and the HD drive?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

You can scan the drive for errors by following the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key + E, to open
      File Explorer
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane.
    3. Right click on the HD Drive and select
      Properties.
    4. Click on Tools tab, under
      Error Checking
      click on Check. This will scan the drive for error and fix them.
    Note: If any bad sectors are found on the hard drive while Windows try to repair the sectors, data on the sectors might be lost.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 18, 2022
  4. Brian Cab Win User

Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

Hi Joe,

to scan external drives using Windows Defender, follow the steps provided below.

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to Settings tab.
    • Select the Advanced option.
    • tick the checkbox for Scan removable drives.

Regards.

Brian Cab, May 18, 2022
Thema:

1. Should I drive scan my main drive? - Similar Threads - Should drive scan

2. Should I drive scan my main drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I drive scan my main drive?: so for the past few months I have been losing random data, every time I turn on my pc I have have been losing data it used to be 385 gb free now I have 336 gb free and I only used 20 gb. i knew it was a problem with my drive because every time i boot my pc it drive checks my...
  3. Should I drive scan my main drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I drive scan my main drive?: so for the past few months I have been losing random data, every time I turn on my pc I have have been losing data it used to be 385 gb free now I have 336 gb free and I only used 20 gb. i knew it was a problem with my drive because every time i boot my pc it drive checks my...
  4. I cant scan my drive with chkdsk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cant scan my drive with chkdsk: Hi , i just heard of chkdsk and how useful it is so i tried to run it with powershell adminbut i get a error in middle of the scan : An unspecified error occurred 766f6c756d652e63 470please note that this is not a system drive and its a separated hard drive from the ssd that...
  5. I cant scan my drive with chkdsk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant scan my drive with chkdsk: Hi , i just heard of chkdsk and how useful it is so i tried to run it with powershell adminbut i get a error in middle of the scan : An unspecified error occurred 766f6c756d652e63 470please note that this is not a system drive and its a separated hard drive from the ssd that...
  6. I cant scan my drive with chkdsk

7. How do I switch back my C drive to my main drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I switch back my C drive to my main drive?: Hi I've been having trouble with my computer's C and D drive. So on my C drive I have 446 gbs and my D drive I have 931 gbs. A while ago my storage was getting full with games and photos so I looked up on youtube to try to find a way where I could change my D drive to my main...
  8. How do I switch back my C drive to my main drive?

How do I switch back my C drive to my main drive?: Hi I've been having trouble with my computer's C and D drive. So on my C drive I have 446 gbs and my D drive I have 931 gbs. A while ago my storage was getting full with games and photos so I looked up on youtube to try to find a way where I could change my D drive to my main...
  9. How do I switch back my C drive to my main drive?

10. How should I format my drive?

How should I format my drive?: I was having some *problems that made me unable to boot into windows. So I called some people and troubleshooted and I’m confident my only option is to format my drive and reinstall windows. So I bought an adapter so I can plug in my ssd to a laptop through a usb port because...