Windows 10: Should I enable UEFI Boot in BIOS before Win 10 install?

Discus and support Should I enable UEFI Boot in BIOS before Win 10 install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I built a computer back in 2009 with an Intel DP55KG motherboard running Windows 7. So, I am getting ready for a fresh Windows 10 install and I noticed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pjc123, May 17, 2016.

1. pjc123 Win User

Should I enable UEFI Boot in BIOS before Win 10 install?

I built a computer back in 2009 with an Intel DP55KG motherboard running Windows 7. So, I am getting ready for a fresh Windows 10 install and I noticed that back in 2009 I never enabled the UEFI boot mode. Would it be recommended to enable it this time before the Win 10 install, or will it bring about some issues? I also have 3 other hard drives in this computer with various flavors of Linux.

Here is the definition of the setting according to the motherboard manual:

UEFI boot

OPTIONS: • Enable • Disable

Enables or disables Unified Extended Firmware Interface (UEFI) Boot. UEFI Boot must be enabled in order to boot to a drive larger than 2 TB (terabytes). Enable: BIOS will attempt to boot via UEFI before using the legacy boot sequence. Disable: BIOS will use the legacy boot sequence.

:)

pjc123, May 17, 2016

2. HOW TO ENABLE DUAL BOOT IN EFI MODE

I should add that if your BIOS is in UEFI mode, you have to enable CSM compatibility mode to boot to Windows 7. Also, the hard disk has to be GPT-initialized to boot in UEFI BIOS mode.

If your Windows 7 is on a separate disk that is MBR-initialized, you would have to toggle between UEFI and Legacy BIOS mode in BIOS setting to boot each OS. Windows 10 can be run in Legacy BIOS and Windows 7 can be run in UEFI mode.

Secure Boot is not compatible with Windows 7, so also has to be disabled to boot Windows 7.

Don Cuthbert, May 17, 2016
  3. Carlos F. Win User
    Cannot see or access bios Alienware x51 mid 2012

Hi,

My Alienware x51 originally came with Windows 7 and Bios, however I updated to Windows 10 and updated Bios from Dell website and then enabled the UEFI option.

For some unknown reason I no longer see any alienware boot screen, which previously allowed me to access the bios/uefi menu. I need to access it but do not seem to be able to access the bios/uefi menu. The computer just shows a complete black screen as if
    no computer was connected. The only time windows 10 work seems to be after waiting for a couple of minutes before powering it on. Restarting the pc gives the complete black screen with no signal detected. Any advise would be welcome.

I would also like to know the recommended settings for uefi with windows 10, is it recommended to enable secure boot, and standard boot, also the legacy compatible should be turned on ?

Regards,

Carlos

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Carlos F., May 17, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

UEFI mode is pretty much the standard used by PC's today..
    supports larger disk drives and up to 128 partitions per drive..

5. pjc123 Win User
    SOLVED:

UEFI is not going to work for me. I enabled it to test it out and I lose access to the BIOS menu, which I use to load the Linux installs on the other drives.

At least the clean install went smoothly. Considerable speed boost, especially with 7 years of accumulated Win 7 garbage buildup being eliminated. I had tried an upgrade from Win 7 a couple of weeks ago and it went miserably; every time I booted, a different blue screen error would pop up.

pjc123, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I enable UEFI Boot in BIOS before Win 10 install? - Similar Threads - Should enable UEFI

2. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  3. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  4. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Should I change BIOS Mode to UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should I change BIOS Mode to UEFI?: Hello, I would like to dual boot Win 10 (20H2, Build 19042.804) with Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 7520. When I open "System Information" I see Bios Mode Legacy. And when I run bcedit from the command line I get: "path \Windows\system32\winload.exe". So I think this means I am...
  6. How to enable secure boot in bios to uefi converted laptop.

How to enable secure boot in bios to uefi converted laptop.: Hello, my laptop was having Windows 7 in Legacy bios and i installed windows 10 in Legacy bios then i cleared disk 0 and installed windows 10 in uefi bios but secure boot opyion is not available as before in legacy bios.i have lenovo thinkpad edge e420....
  7. virtualization is enabled in bios/uefi but not in windows

virtualization is enabled in bios/uefi but not in windows: Hi I'm trying to use the new WSL2 in windows 10 update 2004. Unfortunately I cannot install any linux distro or hyper-v because windows thinks my cpu does not support virtualization. Intel virtualization is enabled in bios/uefi. system specs: x299 board with intel...
  8. Bios order of boot and UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios order of boot and UEFI: Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert....
  9. UEFI bios enabled but no secure boot on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI bios enabled but no secure boot on windows 10?: So i had secure boot up and running on my windows 8.1 machine after a clean install, but now since microsoft upgraded me to windows 10 it seems as my secure boot is off again, but it's enabled in my bios is so weird, it's enabled in bios but off in windows 10? Is not much of...
  10. UEFI Installation With Secure boot enabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI Installation With Secure boot enabled: Hello tech guys, i need emergency help, i posting this thread from my frined's computer, i have a HP laptop, and few days ago i send it to tech shop for motherboard repair, and they did it as well, but after few days i am facing problem with BIOS, i cant change bios...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i enable uefi boot for windows 10

2. installing windows 10 shsould I boot bios or uefi

3. should i enable uefi in bios

4. installing win 10 on a uefi mobo should i install all add in cards,
  5. should i enable boot secure in bios,
  6. should i turn on uefi bios,
  7. how enable uefi mode in windows 10 1903,
  8. should I turn off CSM in EUFI,
  9. should ufei be enabled in bios,
  10. enable security in bios before installing win10,
  11. should i enable secure boot before installing windows 10 or after,