Windows 10: Should I have windows 10 on my new NVME SSD or is my old SATA SSD good enough?

Discus and support Should I have windows 10 on my new NVME SSD or is my old SATA SSD good enough? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Currently have my OS on 500 GB SATA SSD M2 installed. I got a new nvme SSD, 2TB and want to put all my games and stuff in there. Should I reintsall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/noobatanything, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Should I have windows 10 on my new NVME SSD or is my old SATA SSD good enough?

Currently have my OS on 500 GB SATA SSD M2 installed. I got a new nvme SSD, 2TB and want to put all my games and stuff in there. Should I reintsall windows in the new nvme or is not gaining any Performance from staying on its seperate sata SSD?

submitted by /u/noobatanything
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/noobatanything, Apr 12, 2021
  2. shminkie Win User

M2 NVME SSD

How much exactly does Windows 10 benefit from being installed on an M2 NVME SSD compared to a SATA-600 SSD ?

Other than a faster boot time, how exactly does windows benefit from the direct connection to the cpu that an NVME SSD offers?

shminkie, Apr 12, 2021
  3. shminkie Win User
    M2 NVME SSD

So you think it truly is worth it to have windows installed on an M2 NVME SSD instead of installing it on a sata-600 ssd and installing your most important software on the M2 NVME SSD ?

shminkie, Apr 12, 2021
  4. Should I have windows 10 on my new NVME SSD or is my old SATA SSD good enough?

Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, Apr 12, 2021
Thema:

Should I have windows 10 on my new NVME SSD or is my old SATA SSD good enough?

1. Should I have windows 10 on my new NVME SSD or is my old SATA SSD good enough? - Similar Threads - Should NVME SSD

2. Why is neither my NVMe SSD or SATA SSD showing up in the windows 10 installer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is neither my NVMe SSD or SATA SSD showing up in the windows 10 installer?: So I just finished building my first PC, and while trying to install windows 10 from a USB, my NVMe M.2 SSD doesn’t show up while choosing a drive to install it on. So I bought a new Samsung 870 EVO SSD hoping it would show up, and sure enough it doesn’t either.Both SSDs are...
  3. Why is neither my NVMe SSD or SATA SSD showing up in the windows 10 installer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is neither my NVMe SSD or SATA SSD showing up in the windows 10 installer?: So I just finished building my first PC, and while trying to install windows 10 from a USB, my NVMe M.2 SSD doesn’t show up while choosing a drive to install it on. So I bought a new Samsung 870 EVO SSD hoping it would show up, and sure enough it doesn’t either.Both SSDs are...
  4. Should I choose SSD or the NVMe SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I choose SSD or the NVMe SSD?: What's the difference between these things?Should I choose SSD or the NVMe SSD?<Original title - Hmm...> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-choose-ssd-or-the-nvme-ssd/53be9827-486b-45c8-82a9-17bd0eec0afb
  5. Should I choose SSD or the NVMe SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I choose SSD or the NVMe SSD?: What's the difference between these things?Should I choose SSD or the NVMe SSD?<Original title - Hmm...> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-choose-ssd-or-the-nvme-ssd/53be9827-486b-45c8-82a9-17bd0eec0afb
  6. Should I choose SSD or the NVMe SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe?

in Windows 10 News
    What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe?: The storage world can be a confusing place, particularly for those trying to learn the basics. It’s a difference that might not seem like a big deal, but it can really affect how your system runs. Today we are talking about SATA-based SSD and NVMe-based SSD. What are the...
  8. upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and keep my Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and keep my Windows: Hi. I just got the "Samsung 970 evo" NVMe and I want to replace it with the old one that has my Windows on it I know there is a way with adapter and cable but I don't have that, so is there a way that I can keep my Windows ? -I don't mind to lose my files -Is it possible...
  9. upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and kkep my Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade old NVMe ssd to new NVMe ssd and kkep my Windows: Hi. I just got the "Samsung 970 evo" NVMe and I want to replace it with the old one that has my Windows on it I know there is a way with adapter and cable but I don't have that, so is there a way that I can keep my Windows ? -I don't mind to lose my files -Is it possible...
  10. Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.: Long story short, I need to clone the content of my old machine's sata SSD into my new machine's nvme SSD so I can continue using my current installation without losing my software, settings, personal files etc. I have a clone of my drive on another SSD at the moment for...