Windows 10: Should I install windows 10 in gpt or mbr partition scheme?using rufus

Discus and support Should I install windows 10 in gpt or mbr partition scheme?using rufus in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Should I install windows 10 in gpt or mbr partition scheme?using rufus thank u*Smile 146156 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hoolm, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Hoolm Win User

Should I install windows 10 in gpt or mbr partition scheme?using rufus

thank u*Smile

:)

Hoolm, Dec 11, 2019

2. creating ISO Rufus vs media creation UEFI/GPT/MBR

The media creation tool has very few options so I'm not positive how to force it into UEFI mode and automatically make a fresh install use UEFI/GPT. The Rufus tool has multiple options - the default one states it'll work for both BIOS/legacy/UEFI but it
    isn't recognized if the motherboard's setting is to use UEFI as primary boot option. There are 2 other options however, if you pick UEFI only install to MBR it will do just that, or the third option is UEFI only and install to GPT.

None of these options are given by the media creation tool - how do I know what boot option it is using and whether it will use GPT or MBR partition schemes? Or can I even force it to do one or the other during the install process? If I delete all the
    partitions on a SSD and just click on install to unallocated space it does everything for me but never asks do I want GPT or MBR if I remember correctly.

I have multiple 7 to 10 year old kids messing around with my/their many computers a lot so they know just enough to click on the wrong things and getting a bunch of malware is much harder to remove than to just clean install. If I am using all modern hardware
    that supports GPT/UEFI is my best option to use Rufus rather than the media creation tool so I know exactly how it is reinstalled each time? If I don't need legacy/BIOS/MBR support and want it to just do a fresh install every time using UEFI/GPT - the media
    creation tool does not let me do this correct?

I know MS can't really endorse using a 3rd party product but I'm just looking for the fastest way possible to pop in a USB install drive and walk away and grab a bite to eat and come back to a clean install each time one of the kids screws up one of our
    5-10 computers. And preferably since there's really no advantage to the old partition schemes, I'd rather the install drive always just force UEFI and GPT without even interfacing with me if possible and I'm not advanced enough anymore to custom script the
    install process to do all this for me which I *think Rufus does.

lawrence131, Dec 11, 2019
  3. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Dec 11, 2019
  4. Should I install windows 10 in gpt or mbr partition scheme?using rufus

Installing Windows 10 on GPT partition

I've created a bootable USB using rufus with the 'Partition Scheme' as GPT and 'Target System' as UEFI (NON CSM). Currently my BIOS has the following settings :

1. USB Legacy : Enabled

2. Boot Mode : Legacy Support

3. Boot priority : UEFI First

How many of the above parameters i've to change before i proceed to installation. I'm asking because i don't want that my PC gets again installed with MBR. I strictly want GPT.

AsadShaikh94, Dec 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Should I install windows 10 in gpt or mbr partition scheme?using rufus - Similar Threads - Should install gpt

2. If i delete volume gpt to mbr i dont need partition converter or if i convert mbr to gpt...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If i delete volume gpt to mbr i dont need partition converter or if i convert mbr to gpt...: If i delete volume gpt to mbr i dont need partition converter or if i convert mbr to gpt without deleting volume it removes data built in tool or if i remove does it remove data whats worse if my partition was gpt gpt to mbr is much worse or mbr to gpt if i delete or not...
  3. How to check if a Disk uses GPT or MBR Partition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to check if a Disk uses GPT or MBR Partition in Windows 10: Your Windows machine can use GPT (GUID Partition Table) or MBR (Master Boot Record) partition. However, many people don’t know which partition type their computer is using. Therefore, in this article, we are going to show you how to check if a Disk uses GPT or MBR Partition...
  4. How do I convert MBR Scheme to GPT scheme without losing the data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I convert MBR Scheme to GPT scheme without losing the data?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/dexter32629 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lej11b/how_do_i_convert_mbr_scheme_to_gpt_scheme_without/
  5. Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks: I'm trying to convert my MBR partition (which is on an HDD) to a GPT-based boot record, but my OS install is on an SSD (i.e. a different drive than the MBR). I'm not exactly sure how this happened when I was installing Windows; I think the HDD was set as disk 0 while the SSD...
  6. mbr gpt partition help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mbr gpt partition help: hello guys I need help, in windows 10 I converted the ssd disk with mbr partition to gpt using the mbr2gpt / convert command from cmd. Everything works perfect and windows works in uefi mode. but it turns out that I want to install on another partition of another hard drive...
  7. GPT to MBR scheme using Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    GPT to MBR scheme using Macrium Reflect Free: Good evening. I have got a MR image that it's currently GPT but I need to restore it to MBR because mainboard died and new one does not support UEFI. How can I accomplish that? I have tried restoring directly but disk is automatically formatted as GPT. Will mounting the...
  8. Partition Wizard MBR to GPT

Partition Wizard MBR to GPT: Hi, Attempting to convert a Win 10 64bit installation from MBR to GPT on a Dell E6410 using PartitionWizardPro v10 on a bootable USB. I have ended up with a system which will not boot. I have not used this software before and feel a bit out of my depth here. Before...
  9. Windows 10 installed on MBR instead of GPT

Windows 10 installed on MBR instead of GPT: Hi there, I have a 4TB hard disk and I didn't realize I installed Windows 10 on a MBR which partitioned/divided my HDD to 2TB. I have lots of empty blu-ray disc that I can use. Is it possible for me to create a system image of Windows 10, format the hard disk and convert...
  10. Partition confusion, MBR / GPT, Windows installation caused problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Partition confusion, MBR / GPT, Windows installation caused problem: Hi, Windows 10 Home 64 bit Clean install, 2 Samsung 850 EVO's, one will be main drive the other for backup purposes. The screen shot below was taken from Macrium Reflect backup / restore software. Both SSD's seem to be functioning well, load very fast, no operation issues...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i partition my ssd before using rufus?

2. rufus cannot select partition scheme

3. can the new windows 10 be installed gpt without rufus 2019