Windows 10: Should I leave real time anti virus scanning on?

Discus and support Should I leave real time anti virus scanning on? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So the main antivirus software I use is McAfee SecurityCenter that I downloaded from att.net. I can choose to leave real-time virus scanning (where it... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by CharlieWard1, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Should I leave real time anti virus scanning on?

So the main antivirus software I use is McAfee SecurityCenter that I downloaded from att.net. I can choose to leave real-time virus scanning (where it scans a file every time I use it) on or turn it off. McAfee highly recommends leaving it on and gives me a big red warning screen if I turn it off.

However, since I just got a brand new gaming laptop that runs as quick as a cheetah, I don't want it to run anything but as fast as it can. I looked in Task Manager and the scanning processes don't seem to take up much CPU power, but I don't know if it could hinder the performance of games or web browsing. I already changed the power plan to high performance (so it will perform optimally but use more battery power) and the speed blows my old one away.

In short, my question is if I should turn off real-scanning to favor performance but risk malware and viruses. I will probably run a full scan weekly.

:)

CharlieWard1, Dec 25, 2018
  2. David Haz Win User

Defender will only do periodic scanning, no real time protection

Hello,

This issue may happen if other security software, such as antivirus, anti-spyware, or anti-malware programs, are fully or partially installed on the computer. Windows Defender automatically turns off if you install another antivirus app.

Let us uncheck security messages for Virus Protection and Spyware, kindly follow the steps below:

• Press the Windows key + X, then select Control Panel.
    • Click on Security and Maintenance.
    • Click the Change Security and Maintenance Settings.
    • Uncheck Spyware and unwanted software protection and Virus Protection.
    • Click OK.
    • Restart the device for the changes to take effect.
    After the device restarted, make a full system scan using Windows defender.

To turn on real-time protection, do the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings.
    • Click on Update & Security > Windows Defender.
    • Turn on Real-time protection.

Update us on the results.

Regards.

David Haz, Dec 25, 2018
  3. essenbe Win User
    Scanning a ISO File and Bootable Anti-Virus

You would be much safer to download it on another computer which is not infected. You can also run these 'online' scanners to help.
    Scan with Kaspersky TDSSKiller:
    Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller

Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller
    ESET online scanner:
    Free Virus Scan | ESET Online Scanner ESET
    Free Online Virus Scanner | ESET
    Superantispyware
    SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!
    Malwarebytes
    Malwarebytes | Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
    When installing, uncheck the start trial real time scanning and just use it as an on demand scanner

essenbe, Dec 25, 2018
  4. Polarman Win User

Should I leave real time anti virus scanning on?

Microsoft Exclusion List for Anti-virus

Apparantly, Microsoft posted a list of files that can be "Excluded" from any Anti-Virus that you use to help with scanning performance.

You can read about here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

Polarman, Dec 25, 2018
Thema:

Should I leave real time anti virus scanning on?

1. Should I leave real time anti virus scanning on? - Similar Threads - Should leave real

2. Virus Protection scan runs real time for 7+ hours!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virus Protection scan runs real time for 7+ hours!!: Virus Protection scan runs real time for 7+ hours; scans 1.3million files; finishes at 03:17. Summary says "finished at 0034; scan lasted 2hr 42minwith 560914 files scanned". Any advice, please...
  3. Virus Protection scan runs real time for 7+ hours!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virus Protection scan runs real time for 7+ hours!!: Virus Protection scan runs real time for 7+ hours; scans 1.3million files; finishes at 03:17. Summary says "finished at 0034; scan lasted 2hr 42minwith 560914 files scanned". Any advice, please...
  4. Virus Protection scan runs real time for 7+ hours!!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Anti Virus Scans

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anti Virus Scans: My HP laptop has Windows 11. I am always being asked to do a quick anti virus security scan which takes hours to complete if at all. I have windows 11 security in S Mode. My security updates are paused for 1 week don't know why this is but I can't change it I won't go on any...
  6. Anti Virus Scans

Anti Virus Scans: My HP laptop has Windows 11. I am always being asked to do a quick anti virus security scan which takes hours to complete if at all. I have windows 11 security in S Mode. My security updates are paused for 1 week don't know why this is but I can't change it I won't go on any...
  7. shortcut to full anti-virus scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shortcut to full anti-virus scan: Dear Community,Thanks for reading the question I have. In order to save a lot of time, I would like to make a shortcut to a full anti-virus scan in Windows 10. I have tried the following link,instructions to short cut and can get through steps 1 through 5. But when it asks me...
  8. shortcut to full anti-virus scan

shortcut to full anti-virus scan: Dear Community,Thanks for reading the question I have. In order to save a lot of time, I would like to make a shortcut to a full anti-virus scan in Windows 10. I have tried the following link,instructions to short cut and can get through steps 1 through 5. But when it asks me...
  9. shortcut to full anti-virus scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Anti Virus Scan Fail.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anti Virus Scan Fail.: Due to COVID-19, my daughters are off school doing blended learning. A teacher has recently set up work on Minecraft Education Edition asking us to download it and complete the instructions. We have signed up and everything, but when trying to download the actual programme...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is real time virus scanning

2. should real time scanning be on or off?