Windows 10: Should I partition my new SSD to separate OS from programs and data?

Discus and support Should I partition my new SSD to separate OS from programs and data? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a new SSD on which I will install Win 10 Home. Is it advisable to separate the OS and the apps/programs/data into 2 separate partitions on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Caramelo, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Caramelo Win User

Should I partition my new SSD to separate OS from programs and data?

I have a new SSD on which I will install Win 10 Home.

Is it advisable to separate the OS and the apps/programs/data into 2 separate partitions on the SSD after win 10 is installed?
    Would doing this cause problems with installing and using programs, games etc?

I ask because I wonder if it would make it easier to do fresh re-installs of windows if that was necessary in the future.

:)

Caramelo, Jul 30, 2019
  2. Jetster Win User

Should i partition Samsung 960 pro 500gb or buy 3 separate SSD?

You don't need to do ether. I've been working with video for a long time. Just have one for os and apps, then a data drive SSD, platter or hybrid is fine. If you want to partition the SSD for a work space that's fine but you don't need three partitions.

Be careful with partitions. Making an os partition to small is a bad idea. OSs grow and then you need more programs. Then your back asking "how do a make this partition larger" over estimate the size you need. I currently have an OS SSD that is over 250 gb with all the programs I use.

Jetster, Jul 30, 2019
  3. Jetster Win User
    Which SSD for my OS?

No, don't partition a SSD unless your keeping data on it. Then separate you data from your system but not your install games and programs

Jetster, Jul 30, 2019
  4. Should I partition my new SSD to separate OS from programs and data?

Is this amount of Data writen normal for a SSD?

I don't use SSD, since I heard that SSD has a very limited time for writes. And every time, you write something, it erases whole piece and write again together with the new to storage. Tip also suggests us to leave 1/4 SSD space for temporary storage. Or trouble will come.
    Tips also recommend us to leave SSD for OS, and HDD for programs and data.
    If your data is OS data, then there is nothing to do.

FrankBarrera, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

Should I partition my new SSD to separate OS from programs and data?

1. Should I partition my new SSD to separate OS from programs and data? - Similar Threads - Should partition SSD

2. Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS: I am planning to purchase a new computer which comes with Win 11. My old computer has Win 10 and obviously I do not want to transfer the OS from that computer to the new one. Can I clone/transfer the non-OS files in a batch to the new computer without bringing Win 10 or do I...
  3. Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS: I am planning to purchase a new computer which comes with Win 11. My old computer has Win 10 and obviously I do not want to transfer the OS from that computer to the new one. Can I clone/transfer the non-OS files in a batch to the new computer without bringing Win 10 or do I...
  4. Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Should I partition SSD drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should I partition SSD drive?: I'm planning to replace my HDD with an SSD drive. I read somewhere that it's ok to not partition SSD when installing a fresh windows 10 on it? is it ok and if not what is the recommended partition i should do with a 120GB or 250GB SSD?...
  6. User data folders not available after separation to new partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User data folders not available after separation to new partition: On Windows 10 v.2004. I wanted to separate User data from the system drive to simplify backup and maintenance of a Lenovo X1Yoga, which uses a nominal 500GB actual 477GB NVMe M.2 drive. [I ran XP with separate system and data partitions.] The outcome was not simple. Here is...
  7. Should I migrate my HDD data to new SSD or CLEAN INSTALL??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I migrate my HDD data to new SSD or CLEAN INSTALL??: I,ve been using a hard drive on my pc for 3 years now and im finally making the switch to an ssd(SAMSUNG 860Evo 250GB) but i have one question my hard drive is split into two and the one that contains the OS is currently 123/344 gb.If i migrate it my ssd would already be half...
  8. Moving OS, Files and Programs to new SSD

Moving OS, Files and Programs to new SSD: Quick question, I'm on Win 10 home, build 2004. I've got an M.2 SATA III SSD that I'm getting rid of and upgrading to an M.2 NVMe SSD. Fortunately I have two M.2 slots on the motherboard, so I can use a migration tool. But I will be removing the old one and swapping the new...
  9. Should I create separate partitions for the OS and my files on my primary, 512 GB SSD?

Should I create separate partitions for the OS and my files on my primary, 512 GB SSD?: submitted by /u/Deathstroke_66 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fim7st/should_i_create_separate_partitions_for_the_os/
  10. Data on separate partition or drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data on separate partition or drive?: Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that C:\Users\{user}\Documents becomes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should os partition be earlier or later on ssd

2. should i partition ssd to seperate OS

3. is it necessary to install separate os and data

4. have two separate windows accounts on a partitioned ssd