Windows 10: Should I re-format my disk?

Discus and support Should I re-format my disk? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Should I re-format my Windows 10 disk SSD? Or is there a something similar I can do to clean out my registry? BACKGROUND I have a fairly new PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ship69, Oct 22, 2018.

1. ship69 Win User

Should I re-format my disk?

Hello

Should I re-format my Windows 10 disk SSD?
    Or is there a something similar I can do to clean out my registry?

BACKGROUND
    I have a fairly new PC with lots of free diskspace and 16GB of DDR4 3000MHz Memory. Here's what happened:

1. MS Office 365 (Business) became extremely slow to open (15-30 seconds to open Excel).
    2. So I called MS Support. After about 3 hours of re-installing Office there was no improvement.
    3. Eventually they talked me into creating a new Windows profile.
    4. This now opens Excel fast. But there is a new problem: I am completely unable to change the default program for editing .TXT files.

Also the wheel on my wheel mouse no longer works.

Given that every single setting I have within windows, including every setting for every application, now needs to be re-configured it feels like I might as well re-install windows. Given that Windows always seems to get slower and slower over time, (due presumably to the registry getting more and more bloated) should I actually format my entire hard disk?

Or is there some other way to "Refresh" windows without actually losing all my applications? And if so would that be just as effective at cleaning up my registry and speeding up my PC?

Cheers

J

:)

ship69, Oct 22, 2018
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Oct 22, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cannot Format HD

Need to initialize it as GPT disk type with HD > 2TB:
    From Admin command prompt:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk =====> Take a note of disk # for the 4TB HD
    3. select disk # ====> From step 2
    4. clean
    5. exit
    Open Disk Management and initialize the disk as GPT, create simple then format.

topgundcp, Oct 22, 2018
  4. John Vil Win User

Windows format disk message

Hello Marcos,

There may be several reasons why you are being prompted to have your pen drive formatted every time you plug it in to your PC. This prompt, however, may not be disabled. To isolate what's causing this issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• When did this issue start?
    • Were there any hardware/software changes on your PC prior to this happening?
    • Was your pen drive improperly pulled out from the USB port?
    • Have you tried plugging your pen drive to a different USB port or a different computer?

In the meantime we suggest you to check if your pen drive appears under
    Disk Management
    without any error. To check, follow the steps below:

• Click Windows + X.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Check and see if your pen drive shows on the list.

We will be waiting for your response.

John Vil, Oct 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I re-format my disk? - Similar Threads - Should format disk

2. Should I format the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I format the hard drive?: I recently bought a refurbished Lenovo, needing a machine with enough power and storage to run Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop without crashing. I asked for any reliable laptop with 16GB ram and 256GB memory and was not paying attention to the operating system. It came with...
  3. I can't format my disk drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't format my disk drive: After an update my pc had blocked me from my D: disk and whatever what I do it just doesn't whenever I try to click format i waits for a while then just says that windowns can't format D and asks me to check if disk is connected properly it also later shows me a notification...
  4. Should i erase and format my disk before installing Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i erase and format my disk before installing Windows 10?: Hi. I used another OS, but i decided to install Windows 10. Before i installed Windows, i used DBAN's Quick Erase option to remove the information from the previous OS. Did i do a good thing? Should the HDD be erased, so Windows can be installed in a clean environment, or is...
  5. Should i erase and format my disk before installing Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should i erase and format my disk before installing Windows 10?: Hi. I used another OS, but i decided to install Windows 10. Before i installed Windows, i used DBAN's Quick Erase option to remove the information from the previous OS. Did i do a good thing? Should the HDD be erased, so Windows can be installed in a clean environment, or is...
  6. Should i erase and format my disk before installing Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Re-formatting . . .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-formatting . . .: My computer is a Dell laptop.running Windows 10.For a couple of reasons. I need to Re-format it.I'm looking for advice,on how to do it?Just last night I spend,three hours formatting. But, it ended up saying it was unable to get it done?I want to, delete everything!I have, all...
  8. How to format my C drive and re install W10 with my recue disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to format my C drive and re install W10 with my recue disk: I have several glitches that I have been unable to resolve for several months and am thinking it may be a W10 problem My laptop has 2 drives an SSD (OS) and a HDD data drive. Can someone please advise how to reformat the SSD and reinstall W10 (I have a rescue disk) Thanks for...
  9. How should I format my drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How should I format my drive?: I was having some *problems that made me unable to boot into windows. So I called some people and troubleshooted and I’m confident my only option is to format my drive and reinstall windows. So I bought an adapter so I can plug in my ssd to a laptop through a usb port because...
  10. Disk Management - No Format Update, should I suspect, drive problem?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Management - No Format Update, should I suspect, drive problem?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/nando1969 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gvgqnj/disk_management_no_format_update_should_i_suspect/