Windows 10: Should I Replace My Router

Discus and support Should I Replace My Router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I am looking for advice regarding our router, not that there is anything wrong with it, far from it. No, what I am after is advice as to whether I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TraceyW, Oct 16, 2019.

1. TraceyW Win User

Should I Replace My Router

Hi
    I am looking for advice regarding our router, not that there is anything wrong with it, far from it. No, what I am after is advice as to whether I should replace it for an up-to-date router. I have not had any security updates since about 2013 and also have reason to believe it has vulnerabilities (can't remember which one/s) which cannot be sorted due to no updates being available.

The router is a Netgear WNR3500L we've had for eight years or so. In that time it has served us very well and continues to do so. Its just that it apparently has vulnerabilities and I'm therefore wondering whether we should replace it and if we should replace it, what should we replace it with (make, model) bearing in mind my budget is £100?

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
    Tracey

:)

TraceyW, Oct 16, 2019
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Oct 16, 2019
  3. Gino Des Win User
    wireless conection to router

Hi,

To better assist you, we would like to know the following information:

• Are you able to see the router's name in the wireless networks list?
    • Are you able to connect to the router but unable to connect to the Internet?
    • Do you receive any error message when connecting to the router? If yes, what is the exact error message that you receive?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Network troubleshooter. The Network troubleshooter can help diagnose and fix common connection problems. Kindly follow the steps below:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type Network troubleshooter, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems from the list of results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

If the issue persists, kindly try the troubleshooting steps on the following link:

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10

We recommend that you try the steps on the Update the network adapter driver,
    Run the Network troubleshooter followed by networking commands,
    Temporarily turn off firewalls
    and Use network reset to reinstall network devices sections.

Let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Gino Des, Oct 16, 2019
  4. Should I Replace My Router

DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

Should I Replace My Router

1. Should I Replace My Router - Similar Threads - Should Replace Router

2. Should I replace my battery?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I replace my battery?: Keys malfunctioning, power button inactive, random black screens that can only be removed by unplugging battery. Missing pixels/tab errors at random occurring times. All things that shouldn't be happening. I will elaborate on each issue.Keys malfunctioning - My E key will...
  3. Should I replace my battery?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I replace my battery?: Keys malfunctioning, power button inactive, random black screens that can only be removed by unplugging battery. Missing pixels/tab errors at random occurring times. All things that shouldn't be happening. I will elaborate on each issue.Keys malfunctioning - My E key will...
  4. windows 11, how and should i change my DHCP address in router?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11, how and should i change my DHCP address in router?: Hello, as you can probably figure, i am no whiz with computers. i am thrying to set up yawcam which uses my built in camera on laptop} as a monitor i can access from my phone when i am away. problem i am currently having is in the setup screen for yawcam it automatically gets...
  5. windows 11, how and should i change my DHCP address in router?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11, how and should i change my DHCP address in router?: Hello, as you can probably figure, i am no whiz with computers. i am thrying to set up yawcam which uses my built in camera on laptop} as a monitor i can access from my phone when i am away. problem i am currently having is in the setup screen for yawcam it automatically gets...
  6. Should I replace thermal paste?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I replace thermal paste?: Hi, a few weeks ago I fixed up my mothers laptop, upgrading to newer ram and upgrading to ssd.After I initially took it apart, I noticed one issue it never had before, after I took it apart, upgraded the parts and cleaned out the dust, the laptop has started heating up, my...
  7. Should I replace my built-in devices on my laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I replace my built-in devices on my laptop?: Hello! I have replaced my touchpad with a mouse not many days after I got it, and it's much better. Will there be a change if I replace my laptop camera and laptop mic with an actual webcam and mic? I have heard built-in devices are very bad in quality, so that's why I'm...
  8. I had to replace the router My computer gets on the wireless fine but the printer will not...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I had to replace the router My computer gets on the wireless fine but the printer will not...: Same as Subject line https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-had-to-replace-the-router-my-computer-gets-on/a8bb5eea-b2b0-4007-b4ce-7860ad9848cf
  9. How long should I expect my router to last?

How long should I expect my router to last?: I know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but what is a realistic router lifespan? I've had my netgear router for about 5 years now ... and I love it, it's so reliable, the dual band wifi is very decent, the firmware is rock solid, it never needs...
  10. Should I disable my modem firewall when I have a router?

Should I disable my modem firewall when I have a router?: I have a modem, and a netgear nighthawk R7000 router. I do not use the modem for wireless, as I have a router. Does my modem's firewall need to be on or does the router take care of that? And, is windows firewalll not good enough? 64154