Windows 10: Should I run SMB1

Discus and support Should I run SMB1 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In order to share access to files on a private network I enabled SMB1 now I am being warned that running SMB1 will make my system vulnerable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KCav45, Oct 22, 2020.

1. KCav45 Win User

Should I run SMB1

In order to share access to files on a private network I enabled SMB1 now I am being warned that running SMB1 will make my system vulnerable to spyware. Should I run SMB1?

:)

KCav45, Oct 22, 2020

2. I disabled SMB1. My network computers are no longer listed. What can I do?

Without working SMB 1 (e.g. by disabling it as suggested here), browsing for computers
    with shares using Windows Explorer will not work any longer (as expected). They are still available by using \\COMPUTER\... which, I guess, involves a DNS lookup, but they are not listed automatically.

• What graphical or non-graphical (cmd, PowerShell) ways are there on Windows 10 to list remote machines which offer shares?
    • Does running with or without a Domain change the available options?

Gameplay_Ethan, Oct 22, 2020
  3. Potzki Win User
    Potzki, Oct 22, 2020
  4. DavidY Win User

Should I run SMB1

SMB1 Product Clearinghouse

The list does rely on vendors adding themselves to it though.
    I have an old Seagate Goflex Home NAS drive which isn't on the list but, as far as I can make out, needs SMB1 to work.
    (Leastways, I've not managed to connect after I tried disabling SMB1.)
    But unless Seagate add themselves, they won't be on that Microsoft page.

DavidY, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

Should I run SMB1

1. Should I run SMB1 - Similar Threads - Should run SMB1

2. Is my printer using SMB1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my printer using SMB1?: I got a new printer. HP 6055e. I got it all setup with difficulty, which is annoying because they are supposedly trying to make it easier to setup and tried out printing, copying, photo printing, and scanning.Then I downloaded the online documentation which I always do....
  3. Is my printer using SMB1?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is my printer using SMB1?: I got a new printer. HP 6055e. I got it all setup with difficulty, which is annoying because they are supposedly trying to make it easier to setup and tried out printing, copying, photo printing, and scanning.Then I downloaded the online documentation which I always do....
  4. smb1 disabled?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    smb1 disabled?: My NAS uses SMB1. The last time I restarted, Windows no longer allows connections to my NAS because they have decided that SMB1 is not safe enough for use in my local network. Is there a way around this?...
  5. smb1 disabled?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    smb1 disabled?: My NAS uses SMB1. The last time I restarted, Windows no longer allows connections to my NAS because they have decided that SMB1 is not safe enough for use in my local network. Is there a way around this?...
  6. Laptop not running games as it should.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop not running games as it should.: So around 2018 I first bought this laptop from best buy, and for the whole year, it was working great up until I would say middle of 2019. Every single game I played would constantly stutter, by that I mean for the first couple of minutes while I was playing the game I would...
  7. Smb1 to smb2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Smb1 to smb2: My computers can't see my network drive so I need to upgrade from smb1 to smb2 so does anyone know how to do this? 149566
  8. SMB1 Error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMB1 Error: Hello all, I have a NAS that I have been using for years. All of a sudden I get the following error when I try to connect to it; You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose...
  9. Status of support for SMB1 and SMB2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Status of support for SMB1 and SMB2: I have an external hard file connected to a WiFi network. When i try and access the file I now get a message from MS that SMB1 is no longer supported due to security problems. Use SMB2 instead. Where in MS land can I find more info?...
  10. SMB1 Product Clearinghouse

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SMB1 Product Clearinghouse: With SMBv1 being deprecated in the Fall Creators Update, this may come in handy. I ran across an MS blog listing known product dependencies. Applies mostly to server environment, but is useful for cross-referencing should a post come up here with SMBv1 issues. SMB1 Product...