Windows 10: Should I run SMB1

Discus and support Should I run SMB1 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In order to share access to files on a private network I enabled SMB1 now I am being warned that running SMB1 will make my system vulnerable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KCav45, Oct 22, 2020.

1. KCav45 Win User

Should I run SMB1

In order to share access to files on a private network I enabled SMB1 now I am being warned that running SMB1 will make my system vulnerable to spyware. Should I run SMB1?

:)

KCav45, Oct 22, 2020

2. I disabled SMB1. My network computers are no longer listed. What can I do?

Without working SMB 1 (e.g. by disabling it as suggested here), browsing for computers
    with shares using Windows Explorer will not work any longer (as expected). They are still available by using \\COMPUTER\... which, I guess, involves a DNS lookup, but they are not listed automatically.

• What graphical or non-graphical (cmd, PowerShell) ways are there on Windows 10 to list remote machines which offer shares?
    • Does running with or without a Domain change the available options?

Gameplay_Ethan, Oct 22, 2020
  3. Potzki Win User
    Potzki, Oct 22, 2020
  4. DavidY Win User

Should I run SMB1

SMB1 Product Clearinghouse

The list does rely on vendors adding themselves to it though.
    I have an old Seagate Goflex Home NAS drive which isn't on the list but, as far as I can make out, needs SMB1 to work.
    (Leastways, I've not managed to connect after I tried disabling SMB1.)
    But unless Seagate add themselves, they won't be on that Microsoft page.

DavidY, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

Should I run SMB1

1. Should I run SMB1 - Similar Threads - Should run SMB1

2. Smb1 to smb2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Smb1 to smb2: My computers can't see my network drive so I need to upgrade from smb1 to smb2 so does anyone know how to do this? 149566
  3. SMB1 Error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMB1 Error: Hello all, I have a NAS that I have been using for years. All of a sudden I get the following error when I try to connect to it; You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose...
  4. Status of support for SMB1 and SMB2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Status of support for SMB1 and SMB2: I have an external hard file connected to a WiFi network. When i try and access the file I now get a message from MS that SMB1 is no longer supported due to security problems. Use SMB2 instead. Where in MS land can I find more info?...
  5. SMB1 Product Clearinghouse

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SMB1 Product Clearinghouse: With SMBv1 being deprecated in the Fall Creators Update, this may come in handy. I ran across an MS blog listing known product dependencies. Applies mostly to server environment, but is useful for cross-referencing should a post come up here with SMBv1 issues. SMB1 Product...
  6. How long should I keep my PC running

in Windows 10 Support
    How long should I keep my PC running: Our PC is used occasionally during the week. Should we keep it running all the time or shut it down every few days. Currently we do the latter. Thanks 92923
  7. Scary Windows 10 disk cleanup. Should I run it.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Scary Windows 10 disk cleanup. Should I run it.: One day after the latest update, computer is running fine, I then ran the built-in disk cleanup including system cleanup and here's what I got. Windows Update Cleanup 3.99 TB – holy cow. My total drive is using about 40 GB, I wonder where this 3.99TB is located....
  8. Should I run the 64 or 32 bit OS?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should I run the 64 or 32 bit OS?: Hi guys, Just looking for a bit of advice, would I be better off using the 32 or 64-bit OS? I have an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.4Ghz, and 3GB of ram. Thanks! 31219
  9. Should I?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I?: So a long time ago i upgraded to Windows 10 but after a month or two it would lock up on the loading screen when starting so i wiped the HD and reinstalled the original Windows 7. I have gotten the upgrade notification again and i feel like i want to do it but i have been...
  10. Should I run Windows 8.1 update before upgrading?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I run Windows 8.1 update before upgrading?: Hey everyone. I'm just getting ready to do a system restore via factory USB. I had asked another question earlier today (which answered all my questions). Something else just occurred to me. Being that I plan on running the Windows 10 update later today (or tomorrow depending...