Windows 10: Should I run Windows 8.1 update before upgrading?

Discus and support Should I run Windows 8.1 update before upgrading? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey everyone. I'm just getting ready to do a system restore via factory USB. I had asked another question earlier today (which answered all my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Curious Guy, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Should I run Windows 8.1 update before upgrading?

Hey everyone. I'm just getting ready to do a system restore via factory USB. I had asked another question earlier today (which answered all my questions). Something else just occurred to me. Being that I plan on running the Windows 10 update later today (or tomorrow depending on time), should I still run the regular Windows updates after I install 8.1 from the USB? Or being that I'll be upgrading should I just do the basic system recovery and then start the 10 upgrade?

Thanks again for any information/suggestions. It is all very much appreciated.

:)

Curious Guy, Dec 20, 2015
  2. Pino-55 Win User

Group Notification problems

Hi Sachin,

As noted before I could do this in 8.1 but not once I upgraded to 10. Before I run the windows recovery tool

Can you confirm that this SHOULD work in windows 10?

If it does should I recover to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?

1. Does this give me the choice of resetting to 8.1?

2. How do I check I have an 8.1 backup?

3. How is this different from running a soft reset?

Many thanks

Pino

Pino-55, Dec 20, 2015
  3. What is the latest update I should get before I get Version 14393?

Is it because it is not worth it or my PC is not properly configured for it?

Bulend

BulendBekaroglu, Dec 20, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Should I run Windows 8.1 update before upgrading?

You don't need to perform the update to 8.1, just install it and perform the upgrade.

BunnyJ, Dec 20, 2015
  5. BunnyJ (Citizen Z!!) - great username. Thank you for the information. That will save a lot of time *Smile

For the record, this forum absolutely rocks!!!

Curious Guy, Dec 20, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Just as an aside I did an clean install of 8.1 when build 10240 came out and then I upgraded and I didn't bother with any of the updates since they would be removed when 10240 installed.

And you're so welcome.. this is a great place to get help.
    Have fun
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Should I run Windows 8.1 update before upgrading?

1. Should I run Windows 8.1 update before upgrading? - Similar Threads - Should run update

2. Should I create a restore point before updates from Windows Update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I create a restore point before updates from Windows Update?: I want to ensure my device works properly and, as you know, sometimes certain updates interfere with that. Does Windows automatically create a restore point before updates from Windows Update or do I have to do that manually? If the creation of restore points is automatic...
  3. Should I create a restore point before updates from Windows Update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I create a restore point before updates from Windows Update?: I want to ensure my device works properly and, as you know, sometimes certain updates interfere with that. Does Windows automatically create a restore point before updates from Windows Update or do I have to do that manually? If the creation of restore points is automatic...
  4. Should I use UTF-8?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I use UTF-8?: [ATTACH] So, I was messing with non-Unicode language settings for a thing I was doing, and was presented with the beta option to use UTF-8 for universal language support, should I turn it on? Are there any tradeoffs for it? The non-Unicode language settings (in...
  5. Should I downgrade to windows 8?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I downgrade to windows 8?: I have a Toshiba satellite C55-B5101 laptop that I got a few years back at Best Buy, id guess I've had my laptop for about 4-5 years now. I understand a laptop like mine isn't meant for gaming but I noticed when I updated to windows 10 my computer was running slower than...
  6. Running windows 8 upgraded to 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Running windows 8 upgraded to 10: My computer crashed hard. I did nothing but come home from work and all I had was Windows 10 lost all my programs Now I get this message that say's to reconnect drive file history. I'm no computer whiz-bang. But I don't understand I have found where drive D is turned off...
  7. RAID 1 question before upgrading

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 1 question before upgrading: Hi folks, I'm a W7 Pro user, and I'm finally thinking to get the update to W10. Question: at the moment I've a RAID 1 set up; will it still be available after the update and/or after I do a clean install of W10? Thank you 33551
  8. Should I upgrade hardware before upgrading 7 Ultimate x64 to 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should I upgrade hardware before upgrading 7 Ultimate x64 to 10?: Hi all, I've been contemplating upgrading my current hardware (see profile for details) for the past few months. Now that Windows 10 is being rolled out I've read that changing hardware will cause Windows to re-activate but people have had issues. Therefore should I...
  9. 10 upgrade fail - should I reinstall 8 or 10

10 upgrade fail - should I reinstall 8 or 10: Hi, just acquired a Asus x205ta laptop because last owner failed in upgrade from 8 to 10. Current state = no boot, but I can access bios and boot from USB. I created a Win 8.1 USB drive and recovery options failed but proposed boot into Win10 which fails. I can access command...
  10. Should I upgrade before or after the April 2018 upgrade arrives?

Should I upgrade before or after the April 2018 upgrade arrives?: Thanks to all for the advice and helpful suggestions.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. upgrade windows 8.1 to windows 10 before or after ssd swap