Windows 10: Should I set my network profile to private?

Discus and support Should I set my network profile to private? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was looking through my connection settings and noticed that my profile is set to public. Should I change it? 114615 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by possom2009, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Should I set my network profile to private?

I was looking through my connection settings and noticed that my profile is set to public. Should I change it?

:)

possom2009, Jul 23, 2018
  2. Ryan Fra Win User

Windows HomeGroups and Xfinity Private Networks

Hi Gene,

Thank you for sharing the outcome when you followed the steps on how to create a HomeGroup. Please follow these steps to change the network profile to Private:

• Left click on the Wi-Fi icon at the bottom right side of the screen, near the clock.
    • Left click on Properties below your network name.
    • Under Network profile, change it to Private.
    • Create a HomeGroup again.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Ryan Fra, Oct 14, 2018
  3. Stud_1946 Win User
    How to change the network setting (Private, public, etc)

this answer from a different Microsoft page worked for me

Should I set my network profile to private? [​IMG]
    Giridhar
    J
    replied on

• Microsoft

Accomplishments

• Microsoft

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Stud_1946, Oct 14, 2018
  4. redturtle Win User

Should I set my network profile to private?

Set Network Location to Private or Public in Windows 10  

Hi Brink and thank you for the welcome Should I set my network profile to private? :)

I tried what you suggested but when doing this, i noticed that whenever i am connected to my VPN, the Windows network shows up as "unidentified network" instead of network 1,2,3 or whatever. So when i went into regedit and looked for networks, i found some but none called unidentified.
    There was one network with the value 0 so i changed it to 1 (private) but after checking, my VPN connection still shows as public.

I am not really sure why it says unidentified network in Windows when i am connected to the VPN but it seems that this is the cause for the problem. If i could only find the VPN network in the list of networks in regedit, i think i would be able to change the value to 1.

Hmm..not sure how to proceed with this. Any ideas?

Should I set my network profile to private? [​IMG]

redturtle, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

Should I set my network profile to private?

1. Should I set my network profile to private? - Similar Threads - Should set network

2. How to force network profile to Private for every network connection?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to force network profile to Private for every network connection?: Hi,I am doing a system deployment where it consists of a few windows machines that form a local network and exchange data between each machine. It is a requirement from the software vendor that these windows machines must be running in Private network profile in order to get...
  3. How to force network profile to Private for every network connection?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to force network profile to Private for every network connection?: Hi,I am doing a system deployment where it consists of a few windows machines that form a local network and exchange data between each machine. It is a requirement from the software vendor that these windows machines must be running in Private network profile in order to get...
  4. How to force network profile to Private for every network connection?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows network profiles are broken - changed profile to private multiple times, will not...

Windows network profiles are broken - changed profile to private multiple times, will not...: For whatever reason I have a network one of the unidentified networks which I have repeatedly changed to private however Windows absolutely will not change it from public. I have rebooted, logged in and out etc. The network profile shows it as private but the firewall shows...
  6. Advanced Sharing Settings not showing current network profile as Private.

Advanced Sharing Settings not showing current network profile as Private.: Hi, in my laptop I have noticed that in Advanced Sharing Settings, the current network profile is not showing as private by default.Whereas in my network settings, it is selected as private network.But when I'm selecting public network in the network settings, it is showing...
  7. public or private network settings

public or private network settings: windows 10, network created as private to enable sharing of network devices, but the public network takes over when rebooting, how to make the private settings stay primary? aslo the subnet pickups up the wifi factory address as 192.168.7.1 and locks to 255.255.255.0 no...
  8. Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?

Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?: I'm on my home computer, should I have my Network profile set on Public or Private? I do not want any my computer being detected by any network. The explantion of what the settings are, are confusing. Public says, "Your PC is hidden from other devices on the network and...
  9. private network setting

private network setting: i can not open but i see my private folder on my network (i can open public folder only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/private-network-setting/8690d8e2-4dad-4da2-be83-4f06942f6eab
  10. Setting public to private networks

Setting public to private networks: I have a VPN for internet traffic which has a virtual adaptor, that is set to private. But the real adaptor is set to a public network and I want to set it to see other devices, therefore I want to change it to private how do I do this in build 1809? Winver says I have win...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vpn set network location reddit

2. should windows pc be set to private or public

3. what shoud my network profile be set on

4. should I set my profile as private