Windows 10: Should I try repair install again?

Discus and support Should I try repair install again? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A little while back I carried out a repair install with the help of advice in this forum (in another thread). It cured a number of long-standing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by clayto, Sep 4, 2017.

1. clayto Win User

Should I try repair install again?

A little while back I carried out a repair install with the help of advice in this forum (in another thread). It cured a number of long-standing problems and restored some features I had been without for months. But it left or maybe even created a few, especially regarding the Store and Shutting down. As a result of following advice about using Powershell from the Windows Community I have now lost the Store completely. So I decided to get help from the MS Support Chat service which has sometimes been a big help. Alas, I have had a frustrating afternoon with three attempts to use Chat disconnecting part way through. Microsoft does not seem to have a way to deal with this, apart from going back to the beginning all over again.

During the last of the three sessions the tech was going to try a repair install and started downloading the Tool. It did not complete and yet again my PC was disconnected from the session. If something was downloaded I have not found it yet. So I am considering doing it myself, not least in the hope that it might repair the three or four faults I still have. I have found the files (s) I used before, on a flash drive ---- the main one being, I think, Win10_1703_English. Am I right that all I have to do is Mount that, ie. run it, and sit back?

:)

clayto, Sep 4, 2017

2. Should I try a second N8?

I've had my unbranded blue one for roughly three weeks now and only experienced one crash and no other significant issues.

I've found it to be more stable than the HTC Desire it replaced which was a pleasant surprise as the Desire was very stable, most of the time.

psychomania---01, Sep 4, 2017
  3. dubreaper Win User
    Should I try a second N8?

might sound strange but ive got a n8 black and ive had loads of problems with it,my wife has the green one and its fine..... strange eh!!

dubreaper, Sep 4, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

The best bet is do a clean install that will remove all problems or do a upgrade install with that you won't loose data but it's not as effective as a clean install

Samuria, Sep 4, 2017
  5. Bat 1 Win User
    I'm in The US so haven't seen that particular model. Going by experience on the Chinese Type Tablets I've worked on before I'd seriously recommend using doubledriver BooZet Freeware | Double Driver - backup and restore installed drivers to backup the drivers to a USB drive before attempting a clean install. *Lots of Touchpad and other driver Issues*

Seems like You have some problems with not a lot of unused space on the C: partition ?? If you could clean up enough to have the necessary space, I'd recommend just putting the ISO on the desktop, mounting it, then running setup as admin, "upgrading to the same OS" so You could keep Your files programs and settings. Not quite as "clean" as a fresh install but should solve the problems as posted above.

Bat 1, Sep 5, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    Yes - that is how you do repair install. Assuming you are on 1703 it will work fine - you can check your version by running winver command). If the files on the flash drive are too old it just will not work so nothing to worry about really.

Depending what you did though with powershell you could have corrupted your system files (in which case repair install will fix it) or your profile. Repair install will not fix your profile. In that case you could make another (admin) account and try that.

Add User Account in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

If the new account is OK sign onto old account and move your documents to from C:\Users\Old_Account to C:\Users\Public. Then sign onto your new account and move them from C:\Users\Public to C:\Users\New_Account. Moving through C:\Users\Public stops any permissions issues.

Then you can delete old account and convert the new account into MS account if you want to - there are links in the tutorial above.

lx07, Sep 5, 2017
  7. clayto Win User
    Alas, around half way through I get "Windows 10 installation has failed." It is only weeks since I did it successfully.so why not now? It worked smoothly before but my optimism has been dashed. No explanation is given. My preference is to get it to work, as it was easy and successful. What can I do now?

clayto, Sep 10, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

You can open the setuperr.log in notepad and have a look at the error codes and start googling them one by one. That's what I do.

Or you could upload setuperr.log and setupact.log to this site and perhaps someone else will see an obvious problem.

9. clayto Win User
    It was suggested my ISO might have got corrupted. I have another copy on my backup drive. Each time it also fails, often with a different 'excuse'. The latest, which comes towards the start, is "Windows failed to validate your product key." I thought product keys were old hat, as my key is stored digitally online? Anyway, can this be dealt with, before I try other suggestions?

clayto, Sep 11, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    If you don't say what the error is I can't imagine how anyone can help.

"Windows 10 installation has failed" or "fails, often with a different 'excuse'" really isn't enough to go on.

Provide the log files (or check them yourself).

Forget licensing though - upgrade errors and licensing errors are completely separate. You can deal with your activation before or after you upgrade - it doesn't matter. Upgrades never fail because of licensing.

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm still trying to figure out if we are talking about continuing to do repair installs - or just wiping the hard drive or SSD and starting over from nothing. To me continuing to attempt to do repair installs is fruitless, it's pretty clear it isn't going to work.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I try repair install again? - Similar Threads - Should try repair

2. Trying again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying again: As mentioned from my last post, I was writing my story. Here's the problem.My tab should have a space above it, but it doesn't. Please, I'm requiring any help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-again/e602cbc6-d3af-4a15-a68b-4f5b01392b9d
  3. I already have the app installed but it tried to install again

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I already have the app installed but it tried to install again: I tried to install some apps and it said queue so I checked the downloads and updates thing for Microsoft store it show a games trying to install but can't because its already installed...
  4. Preparing automatic repair - clear some space and try again

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Preparing automatic repair - clear some space and try again: Hi, I’m Anthony.It all starts with "your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart". After "preparing automatic repair".I then try to click on "Troubleshoot" > Reser this Pc > Keep my files > click in my user > password > Enter.At the end comes the writing "additional free...
  5. how long should a repair-install take?

how long should a repair-install take?: I'm using Win10_2004_English_x64.iso I'm going to select "not right now" for including further updates during the repair, and only do the repair using the ISO my HDD. I'm going to turn off my WIFI during the install so that Windows doesn't try to get anything else. Why?...
  6. Should I install these?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I install these?: [ATTACH] I don't know if I should install this updates. https://preview.redd.it/4wd9auvncor51.png?width=2560&format=png&auto=webp&s=1ef668854b9544ce40e57fc7aa54f37fb2c4c9b0 submitted by /u/eldievos [link] [comments]...
  7. Installation complete, but when I tried to play again, it started downloading again. First...

Installation complete, but when I tried to play again, it started downloading again. First...: It took 25 hours to download and install the game. I played it for about one hour and the next day tried again. When it started up, it began to download the game again. I cannot wait 25 hours every time I want to play this game. Why is it doing this? Am I doing something...
  8. Should we install java on window 10 again?

Should we install java on window 10 again?: Should we install java on window 10 again? Many Tks ! [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-we-install-java-on-window-10-again/a82e6b0b-c5e6-4422-a2a1-bc7282d4f2eb
  9. Kb4056892 installed then tries to install again

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Kb4056892 installed then tries to install again: While using my PC this morning the mouse and keyboard stopped responding. I pressed the Reset key on my machine and it started the restart process. Partially through the restart it said "Unable to install - reverting" After it completed this process, I went to Updates...
  10. OEM Windows is broken. Should I repair or wipe disk and start again?

in Windows 10 Support
    OEM Windows is broken. Should I repair or wipe disk and start again?: Yesterday I took delivery of a Lenovo Yoga 710. It got off to an immediate bad start when it got stuck as I setting up my user account and I had to force a reboot. Then I found that file sharing was broken due to permission problems even though I spent hours and hours posting...