Windows 10: Should I try to install an update that failed to install and isn't showing up in my Windows...

Discus and support Should I try to install an update that failed to install and isn't showing up in my Windows... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Long story short, two weeks ago I tried to install the latest updates from Windows Update as usual on my Win64Pro system - the update on that day was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IMHill, Oct 9, 2018.

1. IMHill Win User

Should I try to install an update that failed to install and isn't showing up in my Windows...

Long story short, two weeks ago I tried to install the latest updates from Windows Update as usual on my Win64Pro system - the update on that day was kb4464218. The update failed, somehow corrupted its packages, and refused to install, both from WU and as a separate download. I retried dozens of times, always with an error (most often 0x800f0900, but not only). It also seemed to have broken Windows Update - the next update, kb4457128, wouldn't install, either, I couldn't reset Windows Update, I couldn't reinstall the system, etc., etc...

After two weeks of running DISM and SFC with various settings, online and offline, creating ISO reinstalls with Media Creator Tool, and restoring damaged Servicing/Packages files from another installation, I think I finally got the system running again. I also managed to completely reset Windows Update now, several times in fact (net stop bits, net stop wuauserv, delete the entire SoftwareDistribution etc., etc.). Windows Update seems to work now, and has downloaded and installed the following updates since the (hopefully) fix:

- kb4100347
    - kb4458469 (which froze when rebooting, failed to install, then seemed to run itself again and install after next reboot - it's now listed as installed on my system)
    - kb4462919

But the two updates from the time that my system wasn't working, kb4457128 and kb4464218, are *not* installed on my system... and Windows Update is *not* showing them as available anymore. I downloaded them from Microsoft's website, the full packages (windows10.0-kb4457128-x64_ed9c4b8a5fd2a5d9f55873f8502e4f7495e5a47e.msu and windows10.0-kb4464218-x64_ab91d3d8387a870fc4eb5f9bcd2d6d08afac0339.msu, each one ~770+ MB in size), but I'm not sure if I should try to run/install them again. I don't want to cause that nightmare of a damage again.

Weirdly enough, my Windows\Catroot\, and Windows\System32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\ show a LOT of packages with kb4457128 and kb4464218 in their names... remnants of those corrupt/failed installs, I suppose? (I did run DISM's AnalyzeComponentStore and StartComponentCleanup several times; the packages are still there).

That's an additional issue that makes me wonder if I should run those downloaded .msu updates...?

:)

IMHill, Oct 9, 2018
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Oct 9, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Oct 9, 2018
  4. Should I try to install an update that failed to install and isn't showing up in my Windows...

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Oct 9, 2018
Thema:

Should I try to install an update that failed to install and isn't showing up in my Windows...

1. Should I try to install an update that failed to install and isn't showing up in my Windows... - Similar Threads - Should try install

2. Should I install updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I install updates?: [ATTACH] Should I install updates on my fresh system? I'm wondering if the default (without updates installed) windows is bundled with all necessary security features and will run stable without updates. Because knowing how updates may break windows I'd just prefer to...
  3. I tried to install an update for the NVIDIA graphic card, but it failed showing this error...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I tried to install an update for the NVIDIA graphic card, but it failed showing this error...: Operating system Windows 7. The Windows-system update functioned well but the optional update for NVIDIA failed showing the a.m. error code. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-tried-to-install-an-update-for-the-nvidia/59d6bec8-5af3-4e03-adfa-121b1dd510b7
  4. I tried to install an update for the NVIDIA graphic card, but it failed showing this error...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I tried to install an update for the NVIDIA graphic card, but it failed showing this error...: Operating system Windows 7. The Windows-system update functioned well but the optional update for NVIDIA failed showing the a.m. error code. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-tried-to-install-an-update-for-the-nvidia/59d6bec8-5af3-4e03-adfa-121b1dd510b7
  5. Feature Update 20H2 failed to install, and will no longer show up in "Windows Update"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Feature Update 20H2 failed to install, and will no longer show up in "Windows Update": I attempted to install feature update 20H2 earlier this morning, but I was met with a blank, black screen and no startup splash as well as a solid, unblinking HDD light. I rebooted presumably before the installation could take effect and Windows Update is not only very slow...
  6. Windows updates isn't installing.

Windows updates isn't installing.: Hello everyone, Recently I got two updates. One was cumulative update and another one is this update which I am giving screenshot of. It was a optional update, I decided to install this one too. It has beenover two hours. The update is installing till 100% then it is...
  7. My PC isn't showing up as a device in Microsoft Store Install

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    My PC isn't showing up as a device in Microsoft Store Install: I have recently bought State of Decay Juggernaut Edition on the Microsoft Store. It initially installed OK and ran for a few days until an update was available. Something happened during the update process and the game uninstalled its self. Trying to re-install it I get...
  8. My laptop isn't showing up as a device when I try to install a game I bought

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    My laptop isn't showing up as a device when I try to install a game I bought: I bought a game today and am trying to install it now. It says that I own the game and I press on 'install on my devices'. And then this comes up. [ATTACH] On my microsoft account it says that my laptop is attached, so why isn't it showing up to install this game? I've...
  9. Windows Update tried to install 1809, failed, isn't trying any more

Windows Update tried to install 1809, failed, isn't trying any more: A few days ago Windows Update tried to install Windows 10 Version 1809 on my laptop. It failed and corrupted the Windows Update database. I deleted the database and let it get rebuilt. Now Windows isn't trying any more to install 1809. I was told that there is a registry key...
  10. Should I try repair install again?

Should I try repair install again?: A little while back I carried out a repair install with the help of advice in this forum (in another thread). It cured a number of long-standing problems and restored some features I had been without for months. But it left or maybe even created a few, especially regarding...