Windows 10: Should I turn Bitlocker back on or just leave it off?

Discus and support Should I turn Bitlocker back on or just leave it off? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I turned off Bitlocker a few months back because it locked me out of my laptop right before a submission. (Luckily I managed to reboot the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Blue_BEN99, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Should I turn Bitlocker back on or just leave it off?

Hello, I turned off Bitlocker a few months back because it locked me out of my laptop right before a submission. (Luckily I managed to reboot the system and gain access to turn it off a few hours later). Do I need to turn it back on again? If so, how do I prevent it from locking me out in the future. (It asked for a specific password before that I didn't know because I used the free Windows 10 Education provided by my uni).

submitted by /u/Blue_BEN99
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Blue_BEN99, Aug 2, 2020
  2. Paola Gar Win User

Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Aug 2, 2020
  3. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Aug 2, 2020
  4. Ernie San Win User

Should I turn Bitlocker back on or just leave it off?

Bitlocker

Hello Nandana,

To enable BitLocker on your computer, you follow the steps below:

• Sign in to your Windows account with an administrator access.
    • Press the Windows key.
    • Type and enter BitLocker.
    • Click Turn on BitLocker.
    • If the system is asking to sing in to administrator access, please do so.
    For additional information about BitLocker, we suggest that you check the frequently ask question on this
    link. The link provided applies to Windows 8.1 to higher version.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to reach us.

Ernie San, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

Should I turn Bitlocker back on or just leave it off?

1. Should I turn Bitlocker back on or just leave it off? - Similar Threads - Should turn Bitlocker

2. turned off bitlocker & cant turn back on?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    turned off bitlocker & cant turn back on?: Windows program download recently relating to Bitlocker askin me to turn it off to run the program & can't turn Bitocker back on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turned-off-bitlocker-cant-turn-back-on/f591a0cd-c764-415b-86bd-64c33bc31e7a
  3. turned off bitlocker & cant turn back on?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    turned off bitlocker & cant turn back on?: Windows program download recently relating to Bitlocker askin me to turn it off to run the program & can't turn Bitocker back on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turned-off-bitlocker-cant-turn-back-on/f591a0cd-c764-415b-86bd-64c33bc31e7a
  4. If I leave it for few seconds it will turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I leave it for few seconds it will turn off: Hello I have a problem with my device surface pro7, if I leave it for few seconds it will turn off, and never go to sleep mode anymore even if I close the cover the keyboard I did a reset and formatting the hardware but nothing changes...
  5. If I leave it for few seconds it will turn off

If I leave it for few seconds it will turn off: Hello I have a problem with my device surface pro7, if I leave it for few seconds it will turn off, and never go to sleep mode anymore even if I close the cover the keyboard I did a reset and formatting the hardware but nothing changes...
  6. Should I Turn Off CSM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I Turn Off CSM?: Hello! I Was Recently Thinking About Windows 11 & I Was Searching In My BIOS For Secure Boot, Turns Out That You Have To TURN OFF CSM First In Order To Do That! I've Read A Few Other Posts Saying That Their Mouse & Keyboard Stopped Working After Turning Off CSM & Enabling...
  7. Should I Turn Off CSM?

Should I Turn Off CSM?: Hello! I Was Recently Thinking About Windows 11 & I Was Searching In My BIOS For Secure Boot, Turns Out That You Have To TURN OFF CSM First In Order To Do That! I've Read A Few Other Posts Saying That Their Mouse & Keyboard Stopped Working After Turning Off CSM & Enabling...
  8. Should I Turn Off CSM?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Should I turn the lights off when using night light mode or should I leave them on?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Should I turn the lights off when using night light mode or should I leave them on?: Just as the subject suggested https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-turn-the-lights-off-when-using-night/c773c056-7cc1-4b30-b897-6e531c4fb99b
  10. Turn Computer Off Or Leave It On

in Windows 10 Support
    Turn Computer Off Or Leave It On: I've always turned my computer off when not using it (like anything else: lights, TV, radio, stereo, etc.). Why should the computer be on when I'm asleep, at work, not home for whatever reason, etc.? But now I'm reconsidering that. When I turn the computer on it makes a sound...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i turn off bitlocker