Windows 10: Should I Uninstall TAP-Windows?

Discus and support Should I Uninstall TAP-Windows? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I see on my windows menu a folder call TAP-Windows. It has to do with ethernet connections. I have a VPN called windscribe. Is this Tap-Windows part of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yahanna, Mar 27, 2021.

1. yahanna Win User

Should I Uninstall TAP-Windows?

I see on my windows menu a folder call TAP-Windows. It has to do with ethernet connections. I have a VPN called windscribe. Is this Tap-Windows part of windscribe? Do I uninstall it?

Should I Uninstall TAP-Windows? [​IMG]

:)

yahanna, Mar 27, 2021

2. Uninstall TAP Windows Adapter V9

SOLVED

• Step 1: Download OpenVPN and install with ALL features from HERE : Community Downloads | OpenVPN
    • Step 2: Open CMD.exe as administrator and go to the file location of "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin" or whatever that turns out to be.
    • Step 3: Follow the "Installing and uninstalling TAP-drivers" section from the website

HERE
      : https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/ManagingWindowsTAPDrivers
    • OR JUST READ BELOW
    • Step 4: How to get the <id> for the next section:
      • Go to Network Connections
      • Right click the TAP device you want to remove
      • Click Properties
      • Click Details
      • Using the drop-down menu, get the Hardware ID
        • This is usually something like: tapoes, tap0901 etc
    • Step 5: Remove those suckers by typing the following into CMD: tapinstall.exe remove (ID from step 4)
      • it should look something like this below:
    • Step 6: If you have devices that were not removed, repeat Steps 4-5 for all TAP adapters
    • Step 7: Restart!
    • Step 8: Uninstall OpenVPN and you're all set!

Supplementary information from the site:

Occasionally you may need play with different TAP-driver versions. In this case you can use devcon.exe from the Windows command-prompt. Below are some common commands you can run from an administrator Powershell
    or cmd.exe console:

List available TAP-Windows adapters:

List network interfaces (incl. TAP-Windows adapters):

View information about an installed driver:

Uninstall a TAP-driver:

To verify TAP-driver removal:

Install a new TAP-driver:

Update a TAP-driver:

Notes:

• <id> refers to the driver identifier which is tap0901 for OpenVPN 2.2+, but may be different in older/newer OpenVPN versions.
    • <something.inf> is typically OemWin2k.inf (old tap-drivers) or OemVista.inf (newer tap-drivers). You need to specify the full path to this file, e.g.C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\driver\OemVista.inf.
    By installing multiple times, you will create additional TAP-Windows adapter instances, which can be used for multiple concurrent VPN tunnels. It is also possible to install using Control Panel -> Add New Hardware,
    and it is possible to uninstall using Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager.

CarlTutton, Mar 27, 2021
  3. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Mar 27, 2021
  4. csatennis Win User

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Should I Uninstall TAP-Windows? - Similar Threads - Should Uninstall TAP

2. What is a C:\Mono? Should I uninstall it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is a C:\Mono? Should I uninstall it?: I was going through my Storage Drives in my settings and cleaning out unnecessary/unused applications in my laptop. However, I noticed this file called C:\Mono and it consist of files to name: bin, etc, include, lib, and share. This file takes a lot of storage about 607MB and...
  3. Should I uninstall cumulative update previews

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I uninstall cumulative update previews: So yesterday I accidentally press install on some cumulative update previews, and previews are not even a full cumulative update, so I want to uninstall that update via control panel, but should I? Or at least does it delete itself after I install the REAL cumulative updates?...
  4. Should I uninstall cumulative update previews

Should I uninstall cumulative update previews: So yesterday I accidentally press install on some cumulative update previews, and previews are not even a full cumulative update, so I want to uninstall that update via control panel, but should I? Or at least does it delete itself after I install the REAL cumulative updates?...
  5. Should I Uninstall TAP-Windows?

Should I Uninstall TAP-Windows?: I see on my windows menu a folder call TAP-Windows. It has to do with ethernet connections. I have a VPN called windscribe. Is this Tap-Windows part of windscribe? Do I uninstall it? [img] 176684
  6. What is Mono and should I uninstall it?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is Mono and should I uninstall it?: There is a .msi file named mono and a corresponding folder, I've never installed this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-mono-and-should-i-uninstall-it/6d909243-4d73-449e-9934-bd34cbaff272
  7. TAP-Windows Adapter V9 keeps reappearing even after I uninstalled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    TAP-Windows Adapter V9 keeps reappearing even after I uninstalled: Hi, so about a week ago, I am having this problem. These Ehternet 2/3/X kept appearing and if I don't disable them, it won't let me access the internet, so I decided to uninstall its drivers and delete it, and it all went well. BUT, after I shutdown and reopen my laptop,...
  8. Which one should I uninstall?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which one should I uninstall?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/weeabboo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ehf7vd/which_one_should_i_uninstall/
  9. Should I Uninstall Powershell for Improved Security?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Should I Uninstall Powershell for Improved Security?: I've seen a few posts on the forum that disabling Powershell can improve system security. I never use Powershell so will I have any problems maintaining my PC if I simply uninstall Powershell via Windows Features? 58040
  10. Should I uninstall Java? If so, how?

Should I uninstall Java? If so, how?: I understand Java is the entry port for many viruses. Should I uninstall it? I looked at the program, and did not see an uninstall command, nor did right-click provide it. 19798