Windows 10: Should I upgrade from Windows 7 Pro or from Windows 8.1 Core?

Discus and support Should I upgrade from Windows 7 Pro or from Windows 8.1 Core? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ​I have a new Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus laptop with Windows 8.1 Core. I also have Windows 7 Professional from my old laptop which died a few weeks ago.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bluegreen1, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Should I upgrade from Windows 7 Pro or from Windows 8.1 Core?

I have a new Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus laptop with Windows 8.1 Core. I also have Windows 7 Professional from my old laptop which died a few weeks ago.

I'm thinking it could be a good idea to install Windows 7 Professional in the new Samsung so that it will give me a better upgrade to Windows 10 when it becomes available? I don't have experience upgrading operating systems, so I just want to be sure I'm thinking correctly about this. (I really don't care about not being able to use the touch screen until Windows 10 is available.)

Thanks for any advice. *Think

:)

bluegreen1, Jun 8, 2015
  2. DanSchell Win User

Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro

I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8.1.

Should I upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Pro first then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

or

Should I upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

Pro's and Con's of each route?

Thanks

DanSchell, Jun 8, 2015
  3. Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro

yes

UNITEDNATIONS HOLDINGS, Jun 8, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Should I upgrade from Windows 7 Pro or from Windows 8.1 Core?

I don't think it should matter if you upgrade from 7 or 8.1. Win10 is going to replace everything when installed.

BunnyJ, Jun 8, 2015
  5. Thanks; what version of 10 would I be getting?

bluegreen1, Jun 9, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    From my understanding if you have Pro you would get Pro and Home would get Home..

BunnyJ, Jun 9, 2015
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Smile. . .Really do like folks who stay on top of stuff. . .*Ditto

8. linw Win User

I assume you are trying to get the 'best' version of win 10. Use win 7 and you will get win 10 pro.

linw, Jun 9, 2015
  9. Molyy Win User
    Totally agreed. No need to spend too much time on upgrading systems twice in a short period of time.
    But what if I'm not happy with Win 10, can I still get the old system back?

Molyy, Jun 9, 2015
  10. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Yes. Either make a backup or as long as you have a serial key you can reinstall the OS of your choice. . .*Smile

11. Wynona Win User
    Blue, is your Windows 7 Professional a retail copy or did it come pre-installed on the laptop? If it's retail, you can put it on the new Samsung, but if it's OEM (pre-installed on the computer), you won't be able to install it on another computer.

Wynona, Jun 9, 2015
  12. I apologize for not getting back to this sooner - we've been dealing with some orthopedic issues.

Thank you for the advice about installing Win 7 Pro in order to get the Pro version of Windows 10 when I accept the upgrade. (I do have the retail version of Windows 7 Pro that I installed on my previous machine.)

But I would like to make a backup of the Windows 8.1 that came on my 9-week old Samsung - I have never made a backup copy of an OS before. Any advice on how to go about that? Thank you!

bluegreen1, Aug 10, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

Check this out,.. used by many here:
    Macrium Reflect Free

BunnyJ, Aug 10, 2015
  14. Clintlgm Win User
    *Ditto Get a USB external hard drive to store you Disk Image on. Yes what you want to do with MR is create a disk image. Should you want to restore you computer you would restore this image to your hard drive and your right back where you were when you created the Image. You will also need a 4 or 8 GB USB Thumb Drive you will create the bootable restore media to this USB. Once you create this bootable restore media test insure that it will boot and load MR in PE environment.

Clintlgm, Aug 10, 2015
  15. Wynona Win User
    Go to Macrium Reflect's site Macrium Reflect Free
    and download the free version. Then go to the Tutorials in TenForums and look for instructions on how to use it to make an image of your OS.

Another option would be to dual boot Windows 8.1 with Windows 10. Again, go to the tutorial section of TenForums and look for Dual Boot Windows 7 or 8.1 and 10.

Hope this helps.

Wynona, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Should I upgrade from Windows 7 Pro or from Windows 8.1 Core? - Similar Threads - Should upgrade Pro

2. upgrade from windows 7 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade from windows 7 pro: link for upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-windows-7-pro/bd279620-c708-4071-b3bc-5da83496b438
  3. upgrade from windows 7 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade from windows 7 pro: link for upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-windows-7-pro/bd279620-c708-4071-b3bc-5da83496b438
  4. upgrade from windows 7 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10: I would like to ask if it is possible to upgrade the Windows of my old laptop Dell Inspiron N4050 for my childrens use for online classes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-upgrade-from-windows-8-pro-to-windows-10/3025b42a-4a0e-42d6-add5-d42101c099f4
  6. Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10: I would like to ask if it is possible to upgrade the Windows of my old laptop Dell Inspiron N4050 for my childrens use for online classes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-upgrade-from-windows-8-pro-to-windows-10/3025b42a-4a0e-42d6-add5-d42101c099f4
  7. Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1: Hi, Can I still upgrade free of cost into windows 10 from windows 7 or windows 8/8.1 Computers. They can activate by windows 7/8/8.1 product keys. Please reply...
  8. Should I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?: I have not upgraded to Windows 10 since when it was first released and I was given the free download option. My computer (Alienware 14) came with Windows 7 Home Premium. I did not do a clean install when I installed Windows 10, and it felt slow and clunky. I hated it. I have...
  9. Windows 10 Pro or Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Pro ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro or Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Pro ?: Just replaced motherboard on my old Dell D830 that I had upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro last August. Went through steps on setting up new MOBO and it is up/working just fine. I happened to run Belarc Advisor just to get a snapshot of data for the file....
  10. Upgrade from Core to Pro ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade from Core to Pro ?: Under settings - Update & Security - Activation you can go to the store to upgrade from Core to Pro. While in the store I wanted to see how much it would cost so I clicked on the link. Instead of listing the price it asked if my files were backed up and given the option to...