Should I upgrade from Windows 7 Pro or from Windows 8.1 Core?

Discus and support Should I upgrade from Windows 7 Pro or from Windows 8.1 Core? in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; ​I have a new Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus laptop with Windows 8.1 Core. I also have Windows 7 Professional from my old laptop which died a few weeks ago.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bluegreen1, Jun 9, 2015.

1. bluegreen1 Win User

I have a new Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus laptop with Windows 8.1 Core. I also have Windows 7 Professional from my old laptop which died a few weeks ago.

I'm thinking it could be a good idea to install Windows 7 Professional in the new Samsung so that it will give me a better upgrade to Windows 10 when it becomes available? I don't have experience upgrading operating systems, so I just want to be sure I'm thinking correctly about this. (I really don't care about not being able to use the touch screen until Windows 10 is available.)

Thanks for any advice. *Think

:)

bluegreen1, Jun 9, 2015
  2. DanSchell Win User

Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro

I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8.1.

Should I upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Pro first then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

or

Should I upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

Pro's and Con's of each route?

Thanks

DanSchell, Jun 9, 2015
  3. UNITEDNATIONS HOLDINGS Win User
    Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro

yes

UNITEDNATIONS HOLDINGS, Jun 9, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I don't think it should matter if you upgrade from 7 or 8.1. Win10 is going to replace everything when installed.

BunnyJ, Jun 9, 2015
  5. bluegreen1 Win User
    Thanks; what version of 10 would I be getting?

bluegreen1, Jun 9, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    From my understanding if you have Pro you would get Pro and Home would get Home..

BunnyJ, Jun 9, 2015
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Smile. . .Really do like folks who stay on top of stuff. . .*Ditto

8. linw Win User

I assume you are trying to get the 'best' version of win 10. Use win 7 and you will get win 10 pro.

linw, Jun 9, 2015
  9. Molyy Win User
    Totally agreed. No need to spend too much time on upgrading systems twice in a short period of time.
    But what if I'm not happy with Win 10, can I still get the old system back?

Molyy, Jun 9, 2015
  10. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Yes. Either make a backup or as long as you have a serial key you can reinstall the OS of your choice. . .*Smile

11. Wynona Win User
    Blue, is your Windows 7 Professional a retail copy or did it come pre-installed on the laptop? If it's retail, you can put it on the new Samsung, but if it's OEM (pre-installed on the computer), you won't be able to install it on another computer.

Wynona, Jun 9, 2015
  12. bluegreen1 Win User
    I apologize for not getting back to this sooner - we've been dealing with some orthopedic issues.

Thank you for the advice about installing Win 7 Pro in order to get the Pro version of Windows 10 when I accept the upgrade. (I do have the retail version of Windows 7 Pro that I installed on my previous machine.)

But I would like to make a backup of the Windows 8.1 that came on my 9-week old Samsung - I have never made a backup copy of an OS before. Any advice on how to go about that? Thank you!

bluegreen1, Aug 10, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

Check this out,.. used by many here:
    Macrium Reflect Free

BunnyJ, Aug 10, 2015
  14. Clintlgm Win User
    *Ditto Get a USB external hard drive to store you Disk Image on. Yes what you want to do with MR is create a disk image. Should you want to restore you computer you would restore this image to your hard drive and your right back where you were when you created the Image. You will also need a 4 or 8 GB USB Thumb Drive you will create the bootable restore media to this USB. Once you create this bootable restore media test insure that it will boot and load MR in PE environment.

Clintlgm, Aug 10, 2015
  15. Wynona Win User
    Go to Macrium Reflect's site Macrium Reflect Free
    and download the free version. Then go to the Tutorials in TenForums and look for instructions on how to use it to make an image of your OS.

Another option would be to dual boot Windows 8.1 with Windows 10. Again, go to the tutorial section of TenForums and look for Dual Boot Windows 7 or 8.1 and 10.

Hope this helps.

Wynona, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Should I upgrade from Windows 7 Pro or from Windows 8.1 Core? - Similar Threads - Should upgrade Pro

1. I did A GPU upgrade and I feel No Difference, should I Overclock CPU?

in Windows 10 Support
    I did A GPU upgrade and I feel No Difference, should I Overclock CPU?: I upgraded my Computer's gtx 730 2 GB straight to a gtx 1030 2 GB, (which is remarkable in allowing me now to play Doom 4 and things like that,) however, somehow I still have to enforce things like performance mode, and other forced performance modes and Razor cortex-esc...
  2. Should I Upgrade My Older PC To Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I Upgrade My Older PC To Windows 10?: Hi all, I have a PC that is older that I've customized to be a gaming PC for my wants and needs. Here are the specs: CPU: Intel core i5 650 dual core 3.20ghz MOBO: Intel DQ57TM OS: Windows 7 Home Premium RAM: 12GB ddr3 HDD: 250GB Western Digital GPU: Nvidia...
  3. Is my CPU sub-par or should I upgrade my RAM or do nothing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is my CPU sub-par or should I upgrade my RAM or do nothing: Undecided whether my CPU needs an upgrade along with the RAM. Unit is a Lenovo Thinkpad T500 with Win10 Pro 64 bit and 4 GB of RAM. CPU is Intel Core2Duo P8600 2.4 GHz and it's x64 I have downloaded the "crucial scan" but haven't executed it yet. Workload is what...
  4. Should I upgrade what I have or buy a whole new PC?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I upgrade what I have or buy a whole new PC?: Hello Should I buy a new PC or upgrade what I have? USE: I use my PC for web design, graphics (Photoshop/Xara etc), some 3D design and general purpose business. I would like a higher resolution monitor (4K??) with reasonably accurate colours for web/graphic design....
  5. Precautions that should be taken while upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Precautions that should be taken while upgrading to windows 10: Can someone tell me what all precautions should I take while upgrading to windows 10 from windows 7.What sort of imaging will be better like full disk image .My computer manufacturer is not providing support for windows 10 on this model but the windows upgrade assistant says...
  6. Should I upgrade before or after the April 2018 upgrade arrives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should I upgrade before or after the April 2018 upgrade arrives?: Thanks to all for the advice and helpful suggestions.
  7. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I upgrade to Windows 10?: I have an HP Pavilion 20-b010 all-in-one. I'm a little hesitant to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 due to specs of the hp. I know what the Microsoft specs are for 10 but I have concerns that their specs are under rated when it come to the real operation of Windows 10. I would like to...