Windows 10: Should I Upgrade My Older PC To Windows 10?

Discus and support Should I Upgrade My Older PC To Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a PC that is older that I've customized to be a gaming PC for my wants and needs. Here are the specs: CPU: Intel core i5 650... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by logo897, Oct 1, 2016.

1. logo897 Win User

Should I Upgrade My Older PC To Windows 10?

Hi all,

I have a PC that is older that I've customized to be a gaming PC for my wants and needs.

Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel core i5 650 dual core 3.20ghz
    MOBO: Intel DQ57TM
    RAM: 12GB ddr3
    HDD: 250GB Western Digital
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB vRAM

I'd like to buy windows 10 after I get myself a new hard drive mainly so I can have a longer support lifespan and for if I ever want to get another game in the future, I won't have to worry about it not supporting Windows 7.

My concern though is will my PC be able to handle Windows 10, primarily my CPU?

I mean, I know it can be run, but will it drop my FPS, or affect my game play negatively since it's an older PC? Will it slow my PC down?

Later down the road in a few years I'll get a true, new gaming PC(hopefully build one *Biggrin), but for now I'd like to stay with this one.

What are your experiences with running Windows 10 on an older PC? (assuming you have)

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:

I have updated my system specs under my profile

:)

logo897, Oct 1, 2016

2. How Should I Upgrade My PC For Gaming?

I'd actually complete all the steps in
    Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist
    including uninstallingthe AV long enough to test thoroughly without it. Every other AV besides Defender is found to cause issues at one time or another.

Then compare the install you have with the ideal install in
    Clean Install Windows 10
    which has been done by over 100,000 without a single complaint or reported issue. If this is a Factory or Upgrade install then that is an inferior install that no tech enthusiast would ever run in the first place. I'd up the game
    from worst to best.

Then I'd test my hardware to be sure following
    RAM - Test with Memtest86+

and using the manufacturer's bootable
    HD Diagnostic
    extended CD scan, followed by a full
    Disk Check

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 1, 2016
  3. How Should I Upgrade My PC For Gaming?

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I tried your three suggested methods but sadly, they weren't able to improve the performance of my PC. For method 1, I ran the troubleshooter and the only issue it could find was that some troubleshooting history files were taking up
    0.057MB of disc space - which is extremely unlikely to be causing any issues.

For method 2, my display adapter drivers were already up to date.

For method 3, my version of Windows 10 was also already up to date.

Again, thanks for taking your time to help me. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

xAlphawolf, Oct 1, 2016
  4. davefaz Win User

You are right that the weak link there is the CPU. I have a few PC's and as it would happen one is exactly the same as yours there ( except mine only has 8gb of RAM ). It's actually a pretty capable machine, but you will notice that some CPU intensive games will suffer. It can happily run most games though, at pretty decent frame rates. I have run Windows 7 on that PC and also it currently has Windows 10. Can't say to be honest that I notice much difference in speed. For all they say that Windows 10 is faster, well, it seems to run games about the same. I have to say, though, that of late I have seen a lot of games players moving back to Win 8. Also, some games that run on Win 7 won't work on Win 10. So I don't really know what to recommend. Given that you also have to put up with Microsoft's invasion of your privacy, and the loss of control of your own PC, it's perhaps not an easy decision to make.

davefaz, Oct 1, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    It will have no problems running it. Download the ISO from Microsoft.com and give it a spin.

10 actually runs faster on the Intel Core 2 Duos than previous OS's. That is in part to better RAM and CPU management.

bro67, Oct 1, 2016
  6. logo897 Win User
    I personally don't mind the whole privacy issue because it's not like I do weird things, I only use the tower for twitch.tv, gaming, and youtube.

Yes, I have also heard of some games not working on Windows 10. The games I play though I know will work, and I rarely play games that are really old, like 2010 is the lowest I go on games.

That's interesting that people are going back to Win 8. I happen to have a windows 8 product key but have never thought of using it because of the fact that it ends a few years after windows 7 and I have no idea how long games will support windows 8.

logo897, Oct 1, 2016
  7. logo897 Win User
    Better cpu and ram management? That's cool!

logo897, Oct 1, 2016
  8. eLPuSHeR Win User

The kernel footprint is also a lot smaller, leaving more breathing room for doing things. I remember to have installed w7 on a older 1GB Intel's Atom netbook and it almost choked to death after booting up. Launching a web browser was a nightmare. On the same netbook, w10 won't run fast, but way way better than w7. Your mileage may vary, of course.

eLPuSHeR, Oct 1, 2016
  9. logo897 Win User
    Thank you for sharing your experience!

logo897, Oct 2, 2016
  10. sml156 Win User
    Why would you wait till now when it's not free anymore.

Although If you have a disability it is still free as far as I know.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...ndows10upgrade

Faq:
    What assistive technologies are eligible for the extension?

We are not restricting the free upgrade offer to specific assistive technologies. If you use assistive technology on Windows, you are eligible for the free upgrade offer.

sml156, Oct 2, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    May not be a problem for some years to come. Support for Windows 7 ends in 2020. Software is generally written to run on any currently supported Microsoft OS.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...cle-fact-sheet

12. logo897 Win User
    I never was a fan of the free upgrade because I couldn't do a fresh install as well as me not being open until it was too late Should I Upgrade My Older PC To Windows 10? :p

Yes Bree that is true but I am thinking of windows vista and how support hasn't even ended for it and people are already cutting off support to it. It's mainly that I'm not sure how long DX 11 will be around, and I rather just get the upgrade over with. I see what you mean, though.

Also, I've seen about assistive technologies but would not be comfortable getting it that way.

I've just bought a win 10 pro product key online for a good price. I'll get back on how everything turns out.

logo897, Oct 2, 2016
  13. Bree New Member

If you use the Media Creation Tool to download the. iso or make USB install media you can use that to do a fresh install whenever you want. The one media contains both Home and Pro.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

If you have installed Windows 10 and it has been activated then a subsequent clean install of the same version (Home or Pro) will automatically be reactivated by Microsoft's activation servers without the need to enter a key.

14. logo897 Win User
    So you're saying once I use the key on my pc for windows 10, it's permanently on my pc?

logo897, Oct 2, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    10 was written to be lighter weight than the predecessors. Especially with so many servers and even Intel's Computer on a Stick is able to run Windows 10. Microsoft has coded their own personal version of Linux to handle in house stuff. You are already seeing the change coming to where they have finally figured out how to make a cross-platform that can handle just about anything that they can throw at it.

Having older Intel hardware being able to run Windows 10, shows that Intel is keeping both the Mac hardware & PC hardware camps satisfied that they can use either hardware platform. NextGen of Mac hardware will be using the AMD chipset. That means more options coming out.

As for the games, a lot of it is the software writers are still stuck on having a huge platform group that is using Windows 7. They will have to catch up with those wanting to use 10. Especially with the Small Single Board Computers that can be plugged into a flatscreen and then allow you to use a Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse, without having to use a laptop for stuff.

bro67, Oct 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Should I Upgrade My Older PC To Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Should Upgrade Older

2. Upgrade to Windows 10 on an older model Acer PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to Windows 10 on an older model Acer PC: Looking for some help! I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 on an older model Acer PC. Currently running Windows 8. Since Windows 8 is no longer supported I am not able to run a Windows Health Check to see if my system will be compatible with upgrading to Windows 10. I am NOT...
  3. Upgrade to Windows 10 on an older model Acer PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade to Windows 10 on an older model Acer PC: Looking for some help! I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 on an older model Acer PC. Currently running Windows 8. Since Windows 8 is no longer supported I am not able to run a Windows Health Check to see if my system will be compatible with upgrading to Windows 10. I am NOT...
  4. Upgrade to Windows 10 on an older model Acer PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I upgrade to Windows 10?: Hi everyone, I have an old PC running Windows 7 pro, my friend told me that I should install Windows 10 on it because windows 7 is outdated, I'm confused should I upgrade to Windows 10 or not? I already backed up my files and I want to make sure before I proceed. Well my PC...
  6. Should I upgrade older PC from version from 1903 to 1909.

Should I upgrade older PC from version from 1903 to 1909.: I have two pc running window 10 - Older PC running 1903, newer just did latest update on 1909. Are there any reasons why I should not upgrade the older version from 1903 to 1909 ? Should I just postpone the upgrade since I am running find on the older machine and do not use...
  7. OLDER PC incompatible with Windows 10 - what should I do?

OLDER PC incompatible with Windows 10 - what should I do?: I can continue using my older version of Windows 10 but WITHOUT any updates since my old HP PC will NOT accept them OR, I can wipe the HD and install Windows 8.1. How long will 8.1 be maintained by MS? Which option is better for me and WHY?...
  8. Should I upgrade to windows 10?

Should I upgrade to windows 10?: Hi all, I have myself a dell latitude D630 with windows 7 home premium that is genuine. I am thinking about upgrading to windows 10, however, will my laptop slow down a lot from upgrading? If not, will it slow down over time? I heard windows 10 will get more demanding...
  9. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I upgrade to Windows 10?: I currently run Windows 7 and have been thinking about upgrading to Windows 10, however I have heard that Windows 10 has privacy issues which is really putting me off upgrading. Also when I upgrade, will all my application work with Windows 10 like they do in Windows 7?...
  10. Should I upgrade this PC to Windows 10 or should I not?

Should I upgrade this PC to Windows 10 or should I not?: I have a Medion MD96360 laptop from 2007. It contains an AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56 processor with 1.8 GHz, an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 graphics card and 2 GB of RAM. Currently I have Windows 7 on this machine and it is working, but it is slow. Watching YouTube videos in fullscreen...