Windows 10: Should i upgrade to 10?

Discus and support Should i upgrade to 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Well, I am currently still on 7. Recently when i start up my pc. The screen hang on the desktop page. I got to hard reset to be able to use. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gradeabra, Jun 28, 2016.

1. gradeabra Win User

Should i upgrade to 10?

Well, I am currently still on 7.

Recently when i start up my pc. The screen hang on the desktop page. I got to hard reset to be able to use.

I wonder does upgrading to Window 10 solve this problem? I can upgrade straight way. Theres a option at my notification bar to do so.

:)

gradeabra, Jun 28, 2016

2. I should wait to upgrade ?

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Redstone) will only be free for computers already running Windows 10.

Frequently
    Asked Questions Windows 10 Anniversary Edition codename Redstone

also see:

Windows
    10 Free Upgrade On Schedule to End July 29TH 2016 - What are your options?

I would upgrade to Windows 10 now while I can.

then try upgrading manually:

Option 1:

Download the Media Creation Tool Now

Right click the MediaCreationTool.exe file then click
    Run as administrator.

Should i upgrade to 10? [​IMG]

Note: How
    to verify if you downloaded or installed the Windows 10 November Update

How to create a ISO or USB drive.

Select Upgrade this PC now then click Next

Should i upgrade to 10? [​IMG]

Option 2:

Pre-requisite Task

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup.
    See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

then

then

• Disable
      (preferrably uninstall)
      your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
    • Restart a few times then try again.
    • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader).
    • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumdrive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver
      for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
    • Perform a
      clean boot
      , restart then try again.
    • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again.
    • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
    • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
    • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.
    • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).

Andre Da Costa, Jun 28, 2016
  3. Should I upgrade to Anna?

Couldn't agree more with you more, I had no issues before Anna really but I'm really happy with the improvements.

pilotguy511, Jun 28, 2016
  4. Hazel123 Win User

Should i upgrade to 10?

Why not try Windows 10? While it's still free. But before you do, back up everything. Backup all personal files onto an sd card or removable hard drive on FAT32. Make a list of all installed files and check you have the product keys for them written down for reinstalling. Make recovery discs from the manufacturer software (reinstalls W7 to factory settings with all original programs). I was going to say make a system image, but you maybe don't want to restore an image with that issue. So you could try doing a system restore first (ie going back to the last restore point) and seeing if that fixes Windows 7. Then do a System image.

Before doing the Upgrade to W10 make sure you have all Windows 7 updates done - keep running it till there are none left, and make sure you unhide any hidden updates. That's the last thing to do, after you've done all the back ups and when you're ready to do the upgrade. After the upgrade Windows 10 will be activated and then you can see how it is. If it runs ok and doesn't have any major issues, you could then do a clean install of Windows 10 (download the ISO from Microsoft and burn to dvd). Which will give you a new clean system ready to put programs and personal files back onto. If you don't like it, you can either roll back to Windows 7 or reinstall from a System image.

But it sounds like you need to fix the W7 issue first to make sure you have a stable OS to go back to if Windows 10 has issues on your particular laptop (for example if it's a Cedartrail processor or some types of Nvidia drivers).

Have you tried doing System restore to see if it sorts the issue on W7?

Hazel123, Jun 28, 2016
  5. ARC
    Arc Win User
    If you want to experience 10, then you upgrade.

Otherwise, a system hang can be resolved within the present OS. Even a restart may do the job.

6. Anyone who is unsure, for whatever reason, gets the same advice from me. Take a full backup image of your drive using something like Macrium Reflect Free. Then upgrade. If you don't like Windows 10, you can restore your image. if you like it, then you can back up your data and do a clean install of Windows 10.

This way, you get the free digital entitlement, so even if you choose to run Windows 10 after the 7/29 deadline, it still won't cost you anything.

DeaconFrost, Jun 28, 2016
  7. gradeabra Win User
    hi,

thanks for replying. Do you guys mean if i upgrade to W10 through this icon from my notification bar, it is not the complete full version?

Previously someone told me if i upgrade from 7 to 10, all my data will remains. if so why do i need back up?

Regarding my problem at the start up. well i have not been updating for about 3 weeks but i hardly doubt it causes the hang. What could be the problem?

gradeabra, Jun 29, 2016
  8. Should i upgrade to 10?

If you upgrade from the icon in your notification bar, it will be the full version of windows 10.

The suggestion to back up is a precaution, likely hood is all will be fine,and your data will be intact. But it always pays to be prepared just in case something goes wrong.

thegeriatric, Jun 29, 2016
  9. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Nope! We dont mean it! Not at all!! Which of the replies tell it to you??

You need a backup, because you may/might want to get back to 7.

Many a things may cause it. If you want your issue to be troubleshooted, drop a post in SevenForums.

10. gradeabra Win User
    Is there a deadline from getting 10 through this icon? Because i do not wish to upgrade now yet.

gradeabra, Jun 29, 2016
  11. Fafhrd Win User
    Yes - the deadline will be towards the end of July (29th?) - after that the upgrade will not be free.

You will still be able to pay for an upgrade after that.

Fafhrd, Jun 29, 2016
  12. gradeabra Win User
    So should i get it now? I am actually fine with 7 honestly.

gradeabra, Jun 29, 2016
  13. ARC
    Arc Win User

Should i upgrade to 10?

I may say that you upgrade to 10, give it a few days. If you like, you stay. If you dont like, restore the windows 7 image (which you should make before upgrading) back.

Once you upgraded to 10 within 29th July, you can install 10 again on the same motherboard anytime in future, for free.

If it is not upgraded within 29th July, any further update will involve the price of retail windows 10.

Now you know what you can do. Decide yourself. You are the one who is to decide it.

14. TOC
    toc Win User
    Yes, you should, at least to ensure like someone said in previous post: This way, you get the free digital entitlement, so even if you choose to run Windows 10 after the 7/29 deadline, it still won't cost you anything.
    After upgrade you can revert back to Windows 7 in 30 days, but if you decide in some future time to install W10 you can do it.

15. gradeabra Win User
    Is 10 better than 7 actually?

gradeabra, Jun 29, 2016
Thema:

Should i upgrade to 10?

1. Should i upgrade to 10? - Similar Threads - Should upgrade

2. I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed: I would like to upgrade my Dell Laptop - Inspiron 17 5000 series - from Windows 7 to 10, how can this be accomplished? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-10-what/4a53ce64-8522-40ce-8909-9992b841de07
  3. I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I would like to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, what is the cost and how should I proceed: I would like to upgrade my Dell Laptop - Inspiron 17 5000 series - from Windows 7 to 10, how can this be accomplished? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-10-what/4a53ce64-8522-40ce-8909-9992b841de07
  4. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?: Hello. I am having some troubles with upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11. The pc health check said that my pc was eligible, so I began installing the update, and it got to the black screen with a percentage that says to keep your computer on. At this point, at a random...
  5. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?: Hello. I am having some troubles with upgrading from windows 10 to windows 11. The pc health check said that my pc was eligible, so I began installing the update, and it got to the black screen with a percentage that says to keep your computer on. At this point, at a random...
  6. Upgrading to Windows 11 causes bluescreen. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  8. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  9. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...
  10. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...