Windows 10: Should I Use An HDD or SSD Drive As The "Data Drive" With My Laptop?

Discus and support Should I Use An HDD or SSD Drive As The "Data Drive" With My Laptop? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe! I have a subjective (and yet induce elements of fact) question to ask you all. Introduction:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by montecarlo1987, May 30, 2020.

1. Should I Use An HDD or SSD Drive As The "Data Drive" With My Laptop?

Hello.

I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!

I have a subjective (and yet induce elements of fact) question to ask you all.

Introduction: Having a Lenovo T510 legacy laptop that has an upgraded SATA III 500 GB SSD drive (from an older HDD drive) in the main physical drive bay. I also removed the factory optical DVD drive and purchased a drive bay caddy that I plan to place an HDD or SSD inside and use. Right now, my main physical drive bay that has my SATA III 500 GB SSD physical drive contains my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit operating system drive and my hidden Recovery Partition. I plan on storing on the drive bay caddy drive all my data folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, Downloads), my Windows desktop files and folders, backup image files from a reputable installed back imaging software, maybe some of my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit temp folders and files (that I clean on a routine basis), my Microsoft Office 2016 OneNote files and other office type files (.doc, .docx, .pdf, etc.), photos and small-sized videos (outside the Windows Pictures and Videos folder) I work on, and other things I am may add I have not considered yet. I may have to setup partition(s) on an HDD or SSD physical drive to accommodate these actions.

Reason: To get off my Windows 10 SATA III 500 GB SSD drive any files or folders that are being rewritten often to lessen the wear placed on my SSD drive currently and use another physical drive (SSD or HDD) with connections (folder and file associations) between the Windows 10 OS system drive on the SSD and the other drive (HDD or SSD) to store the data. [My Comment: Yes, I know SSD drives are more dependable and reliable today than in years past and are more durable; but having frequent reading and writing to another physical drive will naturally lessen to a greater extent any wear on the SSD drive containing my system drive. A little about me that should know -- I perform work on this laptop that places a high demand on a continual basis on reading and (re-)writing files of data (large and small capacities) to physical drives as some of them I have described above. I am considering the physical drive capacity of either another 500 GB or 1 TB too.]

Question: Based on the information I have provided you above, what physical drive type (HDD or SSD) would you recommend IN MY CASE AND WHY FOR MY DRIVE BAY CADDY for my "data files"? [Please reply with facts and opinions.]

Please reply.

Thank you!

:)

montecarlo1987, May 30, 2020

2. Confused about hard drives: HDD and SSD

Browsing through the Microsoft Store for a new pc, I see various hard drives listed, such as:

16GB eMMC

32GB eMMC

500GB 5400 RPM HDD

2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz

32GB SSD [?]

64GB SSD

I understand that solid state drives are good, though expensive. What I don't understand is what size of an SSD would be the equivalent of, say, a terabyte HD? It seems that 64GB is the largest SSD offered here. What size HDD would equal that capacity?

And, BTW, what is an eMMC?

Grandpa Jim, May 30, 2020
  3. SSD Drive as Boot Drive and HDD Drive as Storage, how do I do it?

Recently, I have discovered an old Kingston 120gb SSD Drive in my drawers. I own a Lenovo laptop with a HDD Caddy with a 1 Tb hard drive in the bay and the SSD installed internally inside the computer. My computer runs with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

My question is; How would I configure my SSD so that it will be the boot drive, and the HDD in the Caddy as the Storage drive? Since 120gb of space in the SSD ain't exactly 'much'.

northerngames, May 30, 2020
  4. Should I Use An HDD or SSD Drive As The "Data Drive" With My Laptop?

SSD Drive as Boot Drive and HDD Drive as Storage, how do I do it?

Remove the HDD. Install Windows on SSD. Then insert the HDD. Now SSD should be your boot drive with HDD as a storage drive.

If Windows doesn't boot,

1) Check Boot priority in BIOS and set your SSD on top of the list.

2) If still doesn't work, then create a 200MB Fat32 partition on the HDD(call it whatever you want) then boot into the windows 10 installer via a usb, launch command prompt with SHIFT + F10 and run the following:

bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-en /s B: /f UEFI

where B: is the drive letter for the 200MB partition (it could be any other drive letter for you).

Note: the drive letter with windows could be different, so either poke around command prompt to find out or launch DISKPART and run show volumes to find the partition.

The only downside to this solution is that if the HDD fails you lose boot capabilities. To get around this you could create a ISO of the 200mb boot drive and upload it for safe keeping and burn it to a usb flash disk in case of emergencies.

Source: ENVY 15t-j000 mSATA SSD + HDD fresh install, with mSATA as boot
    drive

Harsimran17, May 30, 2020
Thema:

Should I Use An HDD or SSD Drive As The "Data Drive" With My Laptop?

1. Should I Use An HDD or SSD Drive As The "Data Drive" With My Laptop? - Similar Threads - Should HDD SSD

2. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  3. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  4. Should I partition SSD drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should I partition SSD drive?: I'm planning to replace my HDD with an SSD drive. I read somewhere that it's ok to not partition SSD when installing a fresh windows 10 on it? is it ok and if not what is the recommended partition i should do with a 120GB or 250GB SSD?...
  5. Should I migrate my HDD data to new SSD or CLEAN INSTALL??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I migrate my HDD data to new SSD or CLEAN INSTALL??: I,ve been using a hard drive on my pc for 3 years now and im finally making the switch to an ssd(SAMSUNG 860Evo 250GB) but i have one question my hard drive is split into two and the one that contains the OS is currently 123/344 gb.If i migrate it my ssd would already be half...
  6. Should I defragment on SSD drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I defragment on SSD drive: Will defragmenting shorten ssd service life? Should I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-defragment-on-ssd-drive/a42de2e2-2b7c-40af-98ae-a3ba3f0ef83b
  7. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive: I want to use a new SSD to run my OS on my PC. I have a lot of data on my HDD and dont want it on the SSD but do want to keep it. I have read that you shouldn't use an external drive that has Windows installed so how would i go about doing what I need? I.e. get Windows...
  8. Using an SSD as a USB Data Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using an SSD as a USB Data Drive: I have an "old" SSD (250 GB Samsung 840 EVO) available to use as a USB 3 data drive for some not-too volatile data - a Lightroom data catalog that benefits from being fast to read and write. I formatted it and put a 220 GB NTFS partition on it - leaving about 16 GB...
  9. SSD as boot drive and HDD as storage drive

SSD as boot drive and HDD as storage drive: I've researched high and low for a simple solution. I remember doing this on windows 7 with a registry hack back in the day, and it worked flawlessly. This is what I would like to do. I have a 500 gig SSD and a 1TB HDD. I would like all 600 gigs of user data to be on the HDD...
  10. New Win10 laptop w PCIe SSD + HDD, where should the Cache Drive be?

in Windows 10 Support
    New Win10 laptop w PCIe SSD + HDD, where should the Cache Drive be?: Hi, I just bought a new laptop with 256GB NVMe PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD and 16 GB of DDR 4 RAM. It's running Win 10 Home 64Bit. I am wondering where should have the cache drive or virtual memory? and how big should it be? If it have it on SSD it will be faster but - it...