Windows 10: Should I use HDMI or DisplayPort for everyday computer use plus gaming?

Discus and support Should I use HDMI or DisplayPort for everyday computer use plus gaming? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi all. I just ordered a new monitor which has both HDMI (1.4) and DisplayPort (1.2) ports, but I've never used DisplayPort before, so I'm not familiar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by JohnJSal, Feb 25, 2022.

1. JohnJSal Win User

Should I use HDMI or DisplayPort for everyday computer use plus gaming?

Hi all. I just ordered a new monitor which has both HDMI (1.4) and DisplayPort (1.2) ports, but I've never used DisplayPort before, so I'm not familiar with its advantages or disadvantages over HDMI. I did a little searching online but it was sort of confusing. Sometimes the articles got into too much detail, or went the opposite way with a "they both have their pros and cons" conclusion.

Any suggestion for which one to use? I'll be using my PC for home office/entertainment/gaming purposes...

Read more

JohnJSal, Feb 25, 2022
  2. M_P_ Win User

Windows 10 unstable in dual screen setup displayport + hdmi

I just changed my system from an intel i5 2500k to an amd r5 1600 and with almost the same hardware (only changed cpu, motherboard, ram and switched to a m2 ssd as windows drive) and windows version (freshly
    resinstalled) windows crashes when I turn my displayport screen on again in dual screen setup with an hdmi screen.

System Configuration:

Motherboard: MSI X370 gaming pro carbon

BIOS: 7A32v17 (AGESA 1.0.0.6)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200 (G-Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB)

GPU: MSI RX 480 gaming x 8GB

VBIOS: 015.050.000.000

GPU Driver: 17.7.1

Steps to Reproduce:

• Plug into gpu ports: BenQ XL2730Z @ displayport, Philips 273P3LPHES @ hdmi

• turn on pc and displays, wait for windows login

• turn off displayport display

• turn on displayport display

• what now happens: displayport display stays black (no signal), hdmi display turns black (no signal), pc unresponsive

• after 10 - 20 seconds pc reboots automatically
    Expected Behavior:

displayport display should turn on normally without crashing the pc in dual screen setup

Actual Behavior:

displayport display causes crash when turned on again

Additional Observations:

Turning the hdmi monitor off and on does not crash windows even if displayport display is plugged in.

Unplugging the hdmi monitor and turning the displayport monitor off and on does not crash windows.

I used the exact same hardware and drivers before with an Intel i5-2500k and an Asrock Extreme 3 gen 3 without these issues. Windows and drivers were completely reinstalled though after switching to Ryzen.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

3. Monitor is not working with DisplayPort to HDMI adapter

I have a HP EliteDisplay E222 and it is not able to recieve signals using a HDMI to DisplayPort adapter. I have tried plugging in the DisplayPort side of the adapter into my computer and into my graphics card and both of them give me no signal and that makes
    me think it is the monitors issue. However, when I plug the current monitor I am using into the HDMI side of the adapter (when the DisplayPort side of the adapter is connected to my computer) I also get no signal.

I have confirmed that the adapter works on my other computer but I just can not find out why it is not working on my main one.

I have tried:

1. Letting windows pick graphic card drivers (RX 570)
    2. Installing the latest drivers
    3. Taking the power cable out of my second monitor for one minute
    4. Resetting the monitor
    5. Turning off the power saving setting in the monitor
    6. Turning power mode to high performance in Windows 10

Unfortunately my current monitor has no DisplayPort port. If it did, I could of connected the DisplayPort side of the adapter to it to determine if the graphic card is the problem or if the monitor is.

DaleViljoen, Feb 25, 2022
  4. btarunr Win User

StarTech Announces New DisplayPort to HDMI and Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapters

StarTech.com, a leading manufacturer of hard-to-find connectivity parts, has announced the availability of three new Active 4K-capable Video Adapters, which enable users to stream audio and video from their DisplayPort 1.2 or Mini DisplayPort 1.2-equipped computer to an HDMI-equipped TV, monitor or projector. The new adapters offer active signal conversion, which unlike passive video adapters does not require a multi-mode DisplayPort (DP++) source signal, greatly expanding compatibility options.

Should I use HDMI or DisplayPort for everyday computer use plus gaming? 70a_thm.jpg

StarTech.com's new DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 4K adapters include the following:
    • DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 1.4 4K Adapter (SKU: DP2HD4KS). : MSRP: £31.25 (GBP exc. VAT) in the UK.
    • Mini Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 1.4 4K Adapter (SKU: MDP2HD4KS) : MSRP: £31.25 (GBP exc. VAT) in the UK.
    • Mini Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 1.4 Adapter - White (SKU: MDP2HD4KSW) : MSRP: £31.25 (GBP exc. VAT) in the UK.
    "These are the next generation of DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort adapters. Although DisplayPort to HDMI and Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters have been around for some time, these adapters are unique because they enable users to realise the full benefits of 4K display technology" said Karishma Punwani, Product Manager for StarTech.com's DisplayPort product line. "By taking advantage of 4K display technology which provides four times the resolution of high-definition 1080p, these adapters allow you to view your digital content (video and images) with astonishing detail and quality.

Features of the new adapters include:
    • Supports video resolution up to 4K (4096 x 2160 @ 30 Hz), stereoscopic 3D
    • Backward compatible with 1080p displays
    • 5.1 Surround Sound support
    • Fully compliant with DisplayPort revisions 1.2/1.1/1.0
    • Compatible with Intel Thunderbolt devices capable of outputting a DisplayPort signal
    • Compatible with video cards that are not capable of outputting DP++ (multi-mode) signals
    • DPCP (DisplayPort Content Protection) and HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) compliant
    The DisplayPort to HDMI and Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 4K adapters will be available from Insight, Misco, Amazon.co.uk and Dabs and is also distributed by Enta, Ingram Micro and Exertis Micro-P.

btarunr, Feb 25, 2022
Thema:

1. Should I use HDMI or DisplayPort for everyday computer use plus gaming? - Similar Threads - Should HDMI DisplayPort

2. DisplayPort vs. HDMI?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DisplayPort vs. HDMI?: Hello,I hope this message is going to the right place.I would like to connect a PC to a LED television and was wondering how to best go about doing it. I have a TV that will accept a VGA connector. In the past I have used a VGA cable to connect the computer to the TV but the...
  3. DisplayPort vs. HDMI?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DisplayPort vs. HDMI?: Hello,I hope this message is going to the right place.I would like to connect a PC to a LED television and was wondering how to best go about doing it. I have a TV that will accept a VGA connector. In the past I have used a VGA cable to connect the computer to the TV but the...
  4. DisplayPort vs. HDMI?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. No audio in monitor's speaker for first few seconds when using HDMI/Displayport

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio in monitor's speaker for first few seconds when using HDMI/Displayport: I bought a new monitor benq EX2710Q and it has in built speakers. If i play anything first few seconds there is no audio and after that i can hear perfectly. I thought this was an issue with cable but then i tried same cable with my xbox and macbook and it all worked...
  6. No audio in monitor's speaker for first few seconds when using HDMI/Displayport

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No audio in monitor's speaker for first few seconds when using HDMI/Displayport: I bought a new monitor benq EX2710Q and it has in built speakers. If i play anything first few seconds there is no audio and after that i can hear perfectly. I thought this was an issue with cable but then i tried same cable with my xbox and macbook and it all worked...
  7. How to use HDMI and DISPLAYPORT to connect a laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to use HDMI and DISPLAYPORT to connect a laptop?: Hello. I'm trying to use my laptop as a 2nd display for my pc, but unable to. I have a nvidia 1050 ti gpu with 3 display ports. (DP, HDMI, and DVI) I want my laptop to be connected via cable. My main monitor is connected via displayport and I tried connecting the laptop to my...
  8. Cheap DisplayPort to HDMI adaptors?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Cheap DisplayPort to HDMI adaptors?: I just bought a new Games PC the other day and decided to invest in a cheap bootleg DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor so I could connect it to my TV as well, and this was working great for a while until it didn't and now I'm worried I might have fried the DisplayPorts on my...
  9. Monitor not detecting a signal from the computer using a DisplayPort adapter to HDMI cable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor not detecting a signal from the computer using a DisplayPort adapter to HDMI cable: I have XPS13 and recent purchase of thunderbolt docking station tb16. all are dell products (laptop, docking and monitors) . The 3rd monitor is not detecting a signal from the computer using a DisplayPort adapter to HDMI cable that leads to the docking station (since for...
  10. HDMI to Displayport video issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI to Displayport video issue: I am trying to connect the HDMI port on my nVidia GeForce GT 640 video card to the DisplayPort input on my HP Compaq L2206tm monitor. This is the reverse of what is expected by cable fabricators who have lots of cables and adapters for the opposite configuration, i.e., DP on...