Windows 10: Should I use "Reset My Pc" or "Get a fresh start"?

Discus and support Should I use "Reset My Pc" or "Get a fresh start"? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop came with windows 8.1 pre-installed. I upgraded it to Windows 10 and it is now activated with digital license. I haven't signed with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HikariCalyx, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Should I use "Reset My Pc" or "Get a fresh start"?

My laptop came with windows 8.1 pre-installed. I upgraded it to Windows 10 and it is now activated with digital license. I haven't signed with Microsoft account on it.

When I started with my pc, I gave it a..you know whatever..user name. Though I can change the user name In control panel, the name in C://Users folder remains the same.

1.Would resetting the pc solve this? (I'm okay with removing personal files and apps)

2.Should I reset or get a fresh start? What's the difference between two of them?

3.How will I activate windows after resetting or refreshing?

4.After resetting or refreshing, will my pc downgrade to windows 8 again? Is there any way to keep it windows 10?

:)

HikariCalyx, Apr 9, 2019
  2. NMDV Win User

Fresh Start - Problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.

Hello,

Since yesterday, I've attempted to run a Fresh Start, but the process stops refreshing at 35% and then undoes changes and gives me the message "Reset This PC - There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.

Here is what led me to the Fresh Start process and the outcomes:

• I began this process when Firefox crashed without allowing me to open, so I uninstalled Firefox.
    • Then received multiple messages from Security and Maintenance to scan drive, then repair drive.
    • Then realized that Word would not open (WINWORD.EXE - The application was unable to start correctly (0xC0000142).
    • Attempted to reinstall Office 365, but received Couldn't Stream Office Error Code: 30045-25(1), so uninstalled Office.
    • Tried Fresh Start again, but no joy - same uninformative message.
    • Decided to attempt to download Windows 10 from Media Creation Tool
      • 1st attempt with Media Creation Tool: I used the to USB option, that led to error 0x0004005 - 0xA001A, and it made my USB unrecognizable to Windows (Then I remembered why I hate the tool)
        • Used Rufus to reformat my USB -> Windows recognized the USB
      • 2nd attempt with Media Creation Tool, but downloaded ISO file to PC. Used Rufus for the ISO, then began the install process. All went well until... Your PC will restart in a few minutes... Restart .... Installing Windows (your PC will restart several
        times)... scanning and repairing drive C: got to 44%, then Restart, then attempting to re... Restart ... Restoring previous version of Windows.
    Now what? I am still unable to install Firefox, cannot install Office, and need to perform a clean install of Windows 10, but I've read that I can no longer get ISO without going through Media Creation Tool.

Btw, I am running Windows Home Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.19) via Windows Update.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

NMDV, Apr 9, 2019
  3. reset this pc / fresh start ?

hey so i want to reset my pc like brand new but keeping my windows if i do reset this pc and do just remove my files does it automatically keep my windows or it will reinstalled the windows automaticly or i do it manually i kinda confused how this work.
    or should i do fresh start fetaure on windows 10 creators update. hope you guys can help me. regards,michael

Michael2905, Apr 9, 2019
  4. Should I use "Reset My Pc" or "Get a fresh start"?

Windows is not activated following "reset this pc"

Thank you @NavyLCDR, I tried your suggestions but still have the same issue.
    @Superfly, My main issue is the fact that sppsvc.exe won't start and throws the Error 5 (Access Denied). I tried changing permissions, taking ownership etc. but still have the same issue.

I guess my next step is another restore :-(. I assume you mean a fresh install because the original issue was caused after I clicked "Reset this PC" option in system settings?

the5krunner, Apr 9, 2019
Thema:

Should I use "Reset My Pc" or "Get a fresh start"?

1. Should I use "Reset My Pc" or "Get a fresh start"? - Similar Threads - Should Reset fresh

2. PC stuck at 88% on fresh reset.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC stuck at 88% on fresh reset.: Acer Aspire 3 A315-53-55Y1 15.6-Inch HD i5-8250U 16GB Optane + 4GB 1TB Windows 10 Features: Intel Core i5 i5-8250U 1.60 GHz Quad-core (4 Core) 4 GB DDR4 SDRAM + 16GB Optane 1 TB Serial ATA 15.6-Inch LCD HD LED 1366 x 768 Intel UHD Graphics 620 DDR4 SDRAM Windows 10 Home...
  3. How do I get my PC to reset?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I get my PC to reset?: I have tried everything I could think of to get my PC to reset but the only thing I can't do is reinstall windows from a media device. I've tried updating it which also fails, I've tried cmd and cmd in trouble shoot, tried some anti virus software, this may not sound like...
  4. Windows wireless Service is not running on the computer and resetting the pc/starting fresh...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows wireless Service is not running on the computer and resetting the pc/starting fresh...: Hello everyone, yesterday evening i opened my surface book 2 and it didn't connect to wifi, troubleshooter showed that the Windows wireless Service is not running on this computer so I tried to open services.msc but it didn't want to open, I run an sfc scan and it showed...
  5. I can't factory reset my laptop... Or even Fresh Start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't factory reset my laptop... Or even Fresh Start: For some reason it keeps saying "No changes were made." How do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-factory-reset-my-laptop-or-even-fresh-start/e8cfdead-e4b7-45f0-8a68-ebd60f02bb82
  6. Reset this PC Get Started button not working

Reset this PC Get Started button not working: So I have been dealing with this problem for days and trying to solve it. I want to reset my PC it has so many problems I need a fresh start. But the problem is whenever I try to press Get Started it doesn't do anything. I also tried Fresh Start and nothing having and also...
  7. Reset PC "Get Started" not starting

Reset PC "Get Started" not starting: My MSI laptop has gotten pretty slow and I want to reset it back to factory settings. But when I go to the recovery page and press "get started" nothing happens. Advanced startup doesn't work either, it just takes me back to the log in screen....
  8. I Reset windows 10 but can’t get my pc ready to use

I Reset windows 10 but can’t get my pc ready to use: I rest my window10 and after it finish and restart it get me to this page , i fill it and press next[IMG] then open this page says that there is a problem keeping us from getting my pc ready to use and that an update may resolve the problem[IMG] , i perss next and connect it...
  9. Reset PC or or use Start Afresh option?

Reset PC or or use Start Afresh option?: Hi, I have a Dell PC but I clean installed with the Media Creation Tool a long time ago so theres no Dell bloatware etc. Ive used Reset PC in the past. Is there any difference between using Reset PC and the Start Afresh option where... if Im understanding correctly... the...
  10. Fresh Install or Reset PC?

Fresh Install or Reset PC?: When you select Recovery option the Reset PC it gives the option to 'Remove Everything' so Is a Fresh Install the same as using the Reset Pc function? There is also an Advanced startup option. I want to start completely fresh and do a clean install but really not sure which...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i use windows fresh start?

2. should i reset my pc or freshstart