Windows 10: Should I use "Reset My Pc" or "Get a fresh start"?

Discus and support Should I use "Reset My Pc" or "Get a fresh start"? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop came with windows 8.1 pre-installed. I upgraded it to Windows 10 and it is now activated with digital license. I haven't signed with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HikariCalyx, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Should I use "Reset My Pc" or "Get a fresh start"?

My laptop came with windows 8.1 pre-installed. I upgraded it to Windows 10 and it is now activated with digital license. I haven't signed with Microsoft account on it.

When I started with my pc, I gave it a..you know whatever..user name. Though I can change the user name In control panel, the name in C://Users folder remains the same.

1.Would resetting the pc solve this? (I'm okay with removing personal files and apps)

2.Should I reset or get a fresh start? What's the difference between two of them?

3.How will I activate windows after resetting or refreshing?

4.After resetting or refreshing, will my pc downgrade to windows 8 again? Is there any way to keep it windows 10?

:)

HikariCalyx, Apr 9, 2019
  2. NMDV Win User

Fresh Start - Problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.

Hello,

Since yesterday, I've attempted to run a Fresh Start, but the process stops refreshing at 35% and then undoes changes and gives me the message "Reset This PC - There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.

Here is what led me to the Fresh Start process and the outcomes:

• I began this process when Firefox crashed without allowing me to open, so I uninstalled Firefox.
    • Then received multiple messages from Security and Maintenance to scan drive, then repair drive.
    • Then realized that Word would not open (WINWORD.EXE - The application was unable to start correctly (0xC0000142).
    • Attempted to reinstall Office 365, but received Couldn't Stream Office Error Code: 30045-25(1), so uninstalled Office.
    • Tried Fresh Start again, but no joy - same uninformative message.
    • Decided to attempt to download Windows 10 from Media Creation Tool
      • 1st attempt with Media Creation Tool: I used the to USB option, that led to error 0x0004005 - 0xA001A, and it made my USB unrecognizable to Windows (Then I remembered why I hate the tool)
        • Used Rufus to reformat my USB -> Windows recognized the USB
      • 2nd attempt with Media Creation Tool, but downloaded ISO file to PC. Used Rufus for the ISO, then began the install process. All went well until... Your PC will restart in a few minutes... Restart .... Installing Windows (your PC will restart several
        times)... scanning and repairing drive C: got to 44%, then Restart, then attempting to re... Restart ... Restoring previous version of Windows.
    Now what? I am still unable to install Firefox, cannot install Office, and need to perform a clean install of Windows 10, but I've read that I can no longer get ISO without going through Media Creation Tool.

Btw, I am running Windows Home Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.19) via Windows Update.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

NMDV, Apr 9, 2019
  3. reset this pc / fresh start ?

hey so i want to reset my pc like brand new but keeping my windows if i do reset this pc and do just remove my files does it automatically keep my windows or it will reinstalled the windows automaticly or i do it manually i kinda confused how this work.
    or should i do fresh start fetaure on windows 10 creators update. hope you guys can help me. regards,michael

Michael2905, Apr 9, 2019
  4. Should I use "Reset My Pc" or "Get a fresh start"?

Windows is not activated following "reset this pc"

Thank you @NavyLCDR, I tried your suggestions but still have the same issue.
    @Superfly, My main issue is the fact that sppsvc.exe won't start and throws the Error 5 (Access Denied). I tried changing permissions, taking ownership etc. but still have the same issue.

I guess my next step is another restore :-(. I assume you mean a fresh install because the original issue was caused after I clicked "Reset this PC" option in system settings?

the5krunner, Apr 9, 2019
Thema:

Should I use "Reset My Pc" or "Get a fresh start"?

1. Should I use "Reset My Pc" or "Get a fresh start"? - Similar Threads - Should Reset fresh

2. fresh start vs. reset pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fresh start vs. reset pc: What is the difference between a fresh start and resetting the PC? My PC has Windows 11 installed, is freezing too much for the last few days and disturbing my regular workflow. Should I reset the PC or give it a fresh start? Every related info is appreciated....
  3. fresh start vs. reset pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    fresh start vs. reset pc: What is the difference between a fresh start and resetting the PC? My PC has Windows 11 installed, is freezing too much for the last few days and disturbing my regular workflow. Should I reset the PC or give it a fresh start? Every related info is appreciated....
  4. Resetting PC - Update Driver Missing and Can't Use Fresh Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting PC - Update Driver Missing and Can't Use Fresh Start: Hello, I am attempting to do a reset of my PC. I followed the guide to use the Fresh Start function, but when I went to Windows Security and clicked on the link Additional Information under the Fresh Start section, it simply opened a link to the Microsoft page informing me...
  5. Resetting PC - Update Driver Missing and Can't Use Fresh Start

Resetting PC - Update Driver Missing and Can't Use Fresh Start: Hello, I am attempting to do a reset of my PC. I followed the guide to use the Fresh Start function, but when I went to Windows Security and clicked on the link Additional Information under the Fresh Start section, it simply opened a link to the Microsoft page informing me...
  6. Resetting PC - Update Driver Missing and Can't Use Fresh Start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start

PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start: My laptop has slowed so much, I'm fully updated, ran Health Check, ran a full scan, PC says no problems. so why does my PC not allow me to run Fresh Start/Reset. Every time I click on Recovery, it just blanks and returns back to my Desktop.Would really appreciate your help...
  8. PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start: My laptop has slowed so much, I'm fully updated, ran Health Check, ran a full scan, PC says no problems. so why does my PC not allow me to run Fresh Start/Reset. Every time I click on Recovery, it just blanks and returns back to my Desktop.Would really appreciate your help...
  9. PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start

10. should i reset my pc.

should i reset my pc.: I was just sitting at my desk, got up and came back and the mic on my headset didn't work. I tried to go through all the troubleshooting tips and none worked. I tried to built in troubleshooter and it said it failed to start. I tried to update windows it says I'm missing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i use windows fresh start?

2. should i reset my pc or freshstart