Windows 10: Should my admin be local or microsoft user

Discus and support Should my admin be local or microsoft user in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, I have successfully added both a user and admin to my new win10 system, both with a microsoft account. Is there any disadvantage in having... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by temujin, Jan 2, 2017.

1. temujin Win User

Should my admin be local or microsoft user

Hi,

I have successfully added both a user and admin to my new win10 system, both with a microsoft account.

Is there any disadvantage in having the admin as local only? Can I work with "Local Admin" for admin , with the standard user as a microsoft account? or can I mix local/microsoft accounts as I like?

regards

:)

temujin, Jan 2, 2017
  2. John582n Win User

Blank start menu

The cleanest way is:

Back up your data held locally

Create a new local user account and make it type Admin

Logout

Login to the new Local admin user account

Remove your Microsoft user account and data

Restart

Login with local admin user account

Create your Microsoft user account, make it Admin

Logout

Login with your Microsoft account and verify it.

It should install all your apps

Restore your local data

Leave the local admin account there in case you ever get locked out

John582n, Jan 2, 2017
  3. AkilMiki Win User
    I know my online microsoft password, but my local admin password does not correlate with it

Sorry I should clarify:

I want to change the admin password, but I'm logged onto a local user which isn't granted permission to change the admin passcode. Only if you are the admin can you alter these settings. I have the "admin account and password" to log onto the online microsoft account,
    which I must have created when I added another user (being the admin user), but not the local admin password. I had one user on, which is the one I am currently on, but I added an admin account for whatever reason and changed my current to a local user. I
    don't remember requiring a passcode for the admin account, and my usual go-to passwords don't work with the local admin. So I need some assistance with getting this local admin passcode or changing it.

AkilMiki, Jan 2, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The base user accounts on the computer are the same for a local user and a Microsoft account. The difference between the two is the way the user account is logged into. You can have any mix of local accounts and Microsoft accounts and you can convert each user account on the computer between the two as you like.

The only real difference is that to use Microsoft services that require a login, you have to provide a Microsoft account login to use that service and if your user account on the computer is also using a Microsoft login then the login to the Microsoft service is automatic. Windows Store is an example, as is syncing user settings between computers. Also, with the newest version of Windows 10, if the OS is activated with a digital license, the digital license will get associated with the Microsoft accounts if a Microsoft account login is used, and that digital license is more easily transferred to a replacement computer through the Microsoft account if needed.

When I create a new user account, I always create it as a local account first. This is because the folder under C:\Users will get the username that I specify. Then, if I want to, I convert the local account to a Microsoft account login - but the base user account name stays the same, so does the folder under C:\Users.

I start with a local user account login named John. I get C:\Users\John. Then I change it to my Microsoft login and my folder still stays C:\Users\John. If I started with the Microsoft login and did not create the local account first, Windows 10 would make my folder C:\Users\Johnm (or something whacky like that).

NavyLCDR, Jan 2, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    I always create a second reserve admin account in case there are ever problems with the main one. Good tip from LCDR to create a local admin account first to set the folder user name. You could have one admin account of each type if you wish.

Steve C, Jan 3, 2017
  6. temujin Win User
    Thanks for the advices

regards

temujin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Should my admin be local or microsoft user - Similar Threads - Should admin local

2. How To: Create local users or admins remotely

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How To: Create local users or admins remotely: You might encounter the need to create a local user, add it to the local admins remotely. Being if the user cannot log in or the local admin is lost. For the purpose you need to use PSTools which can be downloaded from here. Once downloaded open a command prompt as...
  3. Creating non-admin user for daily use- Should both user profiles be linked to Microsoft? Or...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Creating non-admin user for daily use- Should both user profiles be linked to Microsoft? Or...: I only have an admin user profile linked to Microsoft on my PC. I want an additional user profile for safe, daily use. Should I create a new admin user, and revoke admin privileges to this original user profile? Or the opposite?More importantly, should I create this new...
  4. Local admin user gets deleted every time you sign in to a local user account.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local admin user gets deleted every time you sign in to a local user account.: PC was transferred from domain to WG. PC has local admin accounts: gaadmin res.local New user account was created gauser01 Upon login with res.local everything's fine, multiple restarts, all good. Upon login with gauser01 newly created user account the admin account...
  5. Forgotten Local Admin User password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgotten Local Admin User password: I am sole user on laptop, therefore Local Administrator. Help pages only refer to changing Local Account password. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgotten-local-admin-user-password/ca2b0ec2-00a2-4324-9084-dfada9d5347b
  6. Adding Domain User as Local Admin

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding Domain User as Local Admin: Hi there, We are trying to set up the computer of one of our remote employees in house and are running into the issue that every time a setting is changed or a program is installed, it is requiring an administrator password from our domain. We don't want this meaning having...
  7. user local and admin accounts missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    user local and admin accounts missing: Since a about a week my local user account and my admin account are gone. With it, the documents, pictures and downloads directories are nearly empty, only the most recent documents are listed. Luckily I save most of my documents on other drives but I would like to find my...
  8. How To: Create local users or admins remotely

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How To: Create local users or admins remotely: You might encounter the need to create a local user, add it to the local admins remotely. Being if the user cannot log in or the local admin is lost. For the purpose you need to use PSTools which can be downloaded from here. Once downloaded open a command prompt as...
  9. How to: Add AzureAD user as local admin

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to: Add AzureAD user as local admin: After joining a computer to AzureAD you will login with a user and will be automatically added as a local admin. The trouble is when logging with other users. These users will automatically set as users to the computer. From the Computer Management Console there is no way to...
  10. admin accounts (local or Microsoft?)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    admin accounts (local or Microsoft?): Hi I have used Win 10 since it came out and in general, I'm happy with it. Is there a difference in system access rights given to a local account administrator as compared to an Microsoft account based logon to an admin account? The reason I ask is that I only have one log...