Windows 10: Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?

Discus and support Should Network profile be set on Public or Private? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm on my home computer, should I have my Network profile set on Public or Private? I do not want any my computer being detected by any network. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SuzanneNW, Sep 6, 2019.

1. SuzanneNW Win User

Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?

I'm on my home computer, should I have my Network profile set on Public or Private? I do not want any my computer being detected by any network. The explantion of what the settings are, are confusing.

Public says, "Your PC is hidden from other devices on the network and can't be used for printer and file sharing."

Private says, "For a network you trust, such as at home or work. Your PC is discoverable and can be used for printer and file sharing if you set it up."

:)

SuzanneNW, Sep 6, 2019
  2. redturtle Win User

Set Network Location to Private or Public in Windows 10  

Hi Brink and thank you for the welcome Should Network profile be set on Public or Private? :)

I tried what you suggested but when doing this, i noticed that whenever i am connected to my VPN, the Windows network shows up as "unidentified network" instead of network 1,2,3 or whatever. So when i went into regedit and looked for networks, i found some but none called unidentified.
    There was one network with the value 0 so i changed it to 1 (private) but after checking, my VPN connection still shows as public.

I am not really sure why it says unidentified network in Windows when i am connected to the VPN but it seems that this is the cause for the problem. If i could only find the VPN network in the list of networks in regedit, i think i would be able to change the value to 1.

Hmm..not sure how to proceed with this. Any ideas?

Should Network profile be set on Public or Private? [​IMG]

redturtle, Sep 6, 2019
  3. Stud_1946 Win User
    How to change the network setting (Private, public, etc)

this answer from a different Microsoft page worked for me

Should Network profile be set on Public or Private? [​IMG]
    Giridhar
    J
    replied on

• Microsoft

Accomplishments

• Microsoft

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Stud_1946, Sep 6, 2019
  4. Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?

Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Sep 6, 2019
Thema:

Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?

1. Should Network profile be set on Public or Private? - Similar Threads - Should Network profile

2. Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.: My private network shows up as 'public' on my new laptop and 'private' on my 1-year old desktop. Both are using Windows 11. How do I get it private on the laptop?...
  3. Public or Private network question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public or Private network question: OK so in in Windows 10 you can choose whether your computer is on public or private network. I did my homework so I know that Private is recommended for home and it makes your PC discovarable and opens file sharing and public is recommended for public places like coffee shops...
  4. Change the WSL network profile from public to private.

Change the WSL network profile from public to private.: using Windows insider build 22463Hi,I had a Problem with WSL a few days ago.I now figured out that the problem was that I had set the Windows firewall to block all connections incomming from a public network. Since this includes the WSL network, I wasnt able to do a DNS...
  5. public or private network settings

public or private network settings: windows 10, network created as private to enable sharing of network devices, but the public network takes over when rebooting, how to make the private settings stay primary? aslo the subnet pickups up the wifi factory address as 192.168.7.1 and locks to 255.255.255.0 no...
  6. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...
  7. Private and Public Network Connections

Private and Public Network Connections: Hey everyone, just recently I reset my modem and router and my laptop. I have made sure that my home router is secure yet when I connect to it, if I go to settings it sets me as a public network. This is weird because when I got my laptop and connected, the computer...
  8. Setting public to private networks

Setting public to private networks: I have a VPN for internet traffic which has a virtual adaptor, that is set to private. But the real adaptor is set to a public network and I want to set it to see other devices, therefore I want to change it to private how do I do this in build 1809? Winver says I have win...
  9. Cannot change network profile from Public to Private

Cannot change network profile from Public to Private: I have searched and seen numerous posts about the latest builds of Windows 10 removing the easy way to change your network profile from Public to Private, and vice versa. I have tried both the Powershell (Admin) method and the registry change method. With both, the changes do...
  10. Should I set my network profile to private?

Should I set my network profile to private?: I was looking through my connection settings and noticed that my profile is set to public. Should I change it? 114615