Windows 10: Should one rename the built-in Admin and the built-in Guest accounts

Discus and support Should one rename the built-in Admin and the built-in Guest accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; From a security standpoint, should one rename the built-in Admin and the built-in Guest accounts even if they are disabled by default? During Windows... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by win10freak, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Should one rename the built-in Admin and the built-in Guest accounts

From a security standpoint, should one rename the built-in Admin and the built-in Guest accounts even if they are disabled by default?

During Windows 10 installation, I already created my own Admin account which is named something else other than Administrator. But the built-in Administrator and Guest accounts are disabled already by default. For extra security, should I rename those even if those are disabled accounts?

:)

win10freak, Apr 5, 2019
  2. i-Panda Win User

Built-in Guest account errors

I agree, and here's how to do it:-

Firstly, open an elevated command prompt by going to Start menu/All Programs/Windows System, right-click Command Prompt, select More, select Run as administrator, then;

• Enter "net user Visitor /add /active:yes" (ignore quotes) to create a new account. You can replace “Visitor” with whatever name you wish, but be sure to change it for every command on this list. “Guest” is reserved by the Windows system.
    • Enter "net user Visitor *" (ignore quotes) to create a password for the account.
    • Press Enter key twice to create a blank password.
    • Enter "net localgroup users Visitor /delete" (ignore quotes) to remove Visitor from the regular Users group.
    • Enter "net localgroup guests Visitor /add" (ignore quotes) to add Visitor to the guests user group.
    You now you have a brand new "guest" account! This account will have the same privileges as the old guest accounts, but peted66616 cautions that it does not wipe settings and local files on logout.

(Super User via Laptop Mag gratefully acknowledged)

i-Panda, Apr 5, 2019
  3. i-Panda Win User

Well researched. Perhaps MS will get around to fixing the explorer crash/reload loop.

I activated the in-built Guest account August 01, 2015, by following the
    howto-connect.com
    instructions (net user guest /active:yes
    from an elevated command prompt (right-click Start/Windows button and select Command Prompt (Admin)). Guest then appeared in the list of available accounts on the lock screen.

I have, in the past couple of days, activated the Guest account on two more Win 10 PCs. The command line echoed that this had succeeded, and Guest appears, as one of the alternatives, when I click on my account name at the top of the Start Menu, but when
    I select it, instead of switching to the Guest account which is not password protected, it takes me to the lock screen, where Guest is no longer shown.

Microsoft appear to be suppressing the Guest account, for reasons that I/we do not know. We should be told.

i-Panda, Apr 5, 2019
  4. Should one rename the built-in Admin and the built-in Guest accounts

Note that the reason the account doesn't show up in the sign-in/lock screen is that the Guest account is included in the security policy "Deny log on locally" (under "Local Policies/User Rights Assignment"). Removing the Guest account from that policy allows
    logon.

However, in my experience it's still broken. Logging on, you then find that sihost.exe (the "shell infrastructure host") crashes several times, leaving you with a blank screen. You can still run Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc, or from the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen),
    and using that you can try to start explorer.exe, but much of the Windows Explorer shell UI still will not work.

So far, the best work-around I've been able to come up with (and this has been independently reported by others) is to leave the built-in Guest account disabled, create a whole new user account (named whatever you like, e.g. "Visitor", "Guest Actual", etc.),
    remove that account from Users group, add it to the Guests group, and then change its display name to "Guest" (so that from the login screen, it looks the same as the built-in account).

Unfortunately, while this account does have limited rights as compared to a standard account (which is good), it does not wipe settings and local files on logout.

I find it bizarre that Microsoft has made it harder and harder (and now, apparently, impossible) to use the built-in Guest account. I (kind of) get why they did this to the built-in Administrator account, because that one apparently is more dangerous to
    use than a regular user added to the Administrators group. But there's a real benefit to having a good, locked-down Guest account. From a safety perspective, it's counter-productive to not support this feature!

peted66616, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

Should one rename the built-in Admin and the built-in Guest accounts

1. Should one rename the built-in Admin and the built-in Guest accounts - Similar Threads - Should rename built

2. Standard built-in Windows Guest account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Standard built-in Windows Guest account: I do not want any form of user account on my computer windows 10 including the built in guest account. I can delete a guest account if I have added it, but not the built in one. How can I get rid of this? Thanks. D....
  3. Standard built-in Windows Guest account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Standard built-in Windows Guest account: I do not want any form of user account on my computer windows 10 including the built in guest account. I can delete a guest account if I have added it, but not the built in one. How can I get rid of this? Thanks. D....
  4. Standard built-in Windows Guest account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Built In admin account's SID is blank.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Built In admin account's SID is blank.: Using windows 10, and recently renamed the built in admin account by using the command lusrmgr.msc. After renaming the account i pressed refresh and closed the window. The next time when i run the same command lusrmgr.msc and click on users, I get an error saying that there...
  6. Microsoft account tied to built-in admin account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft account tied to built-in admin account: I seem to be in quite a pickle here, I upgraded my laptop, a few years ago from windows 7 to 10, recently my boss asked me to pass on my work to others, but there's a problem, My personal Microsoft account, somehow got linked to the built-in administrator account, the laptop...
  7. Default system scope for built-in Guest account

Default system scope for built-in Guest account: After installing some well known apps including a comprehensive security package. I've noticed on a couple of occasions that the Guest account is enabled. (I know for a fact that it is disabled in my system restore image) To mitigate any problems I have renamed it and...
  8. built-in admin account problem

built-in admin account problem: i have a clean install of windows 10 pro, before i had a windows 7 and was using the built-in administrator account without problems. now in windows 10 i'm using the built in administrator account but facing problems 1) if i leave the "security settings==>local...
  9. Built-In Admin Issue

Built-In Admin Issue: Hello, I recently encountered an issue while cleaning my mother's pc. She has a win 10 home hp laptop, with her own profile as administrator; and somehow while resetting the pc to restore some files lost in a power outage, I managed to turn on the built-in admin profile....
  10. Domain admin account as built-in admin account

Domain admin account as built-in admin account: I just upgraded two brand new pc's from Win 7 to Win 10. Computers were already added to the domain in Win 7 and I was logged into the domain administrator account when I did the upgrade to Win 10. Now when I am logged in with the domain administrator account, I can't open...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows rename builtin admin account during install