Windows 10: Should SSD's be defragmented

Discus and support Should SSD's be defragmented in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; TRIM is an entirely different process than defragmenting. TRIM is how SSDs are optimized, defrag is how HDDs are optimized. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Maggidon, Jun 8, 2016.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Should SSD's be defragmented

TRIM is an entirely different process than defragmenting. TRIM is how SSDs are optimized, defrag is how HDDs are optimized.

NavyLCDR, Jun 8, 2016
  2. Maggidon Win User

Ok, not to drag this out, so all would agree then to keep TRIM on and do not touch the SSD with any defragging program, such as Diskeeper etc.
    By the way, has Diskeeper gone out of business, for I have not received any updates on this since 2012 I believe.

Maggidon, Jun 8, 2016
  3. Kbird Win User
    A lot of information on the Net is now outdated , look at the article's published date to see when it was written a lot of that info is essentially wrong today especially on Win10.

Trim is essential on a SSD ( why early on Company's provided utilities to do it ) to clean up the Drive internally after deletes etc are done , the internal command does not effect the SSD like a traditional Defrag as it writes nothing to the SSD , just changes the "pointers" so the SSD thinks it memory cells are empty etc.

The old habit of not letting a SSD hibernate was cos the 1st SSD's were only 60GB or perhaps 120GB and the Hibernate file is usually 1.6x the size of you physical Ram so if you had 8GB Ram you lost 12GB of your new 60GB SSD which made it a squeeze if you want all your Programs on the SSD too , not just the OS.

Windows 10 recognizes SSD's now and will not allow a Defrag , it does offer to Optimise them which is really the Trim Command being applied. it does it Auto and you don't really need to adjust it.

Kbird, Jun 8, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Jun 8, 2016
  5. Maggidon Win User
    Good. Thanks for the helpful replies guys. This has been very helpful. If there are others who want to wade in with more comments, please do.
    I'll not have Diskeeper kick in on the SSD but let Windows TRIM do its thing.

Maggidon, Jun 8, 2016
  6. I use Intel SSD's and Intels Tool Box for their SSD's.
    The best of my memory indicates that using the Optimizer section in the Intel Tool Box about once a week is just dandy and is what Intel recommends. Doing so for years has never hurt my Intel SSD's.

Layback Bear, Jun 8, 2016
  7. Maggidon Win User
    Thank you for the Interesting reply Layback Bear. I have a Samsgung 850 EV0 250GB sitting here on my desk not installed yet. But I can tell it's just raring to go. Being ignorant to this cute little tyke, I'm not sure any software comes with it so will allow TRIM to do its thing. Onions, pardon me, I mean opinions abound around but I've appreciated the advice you & the others have given. I think I'm going to just layback & give heed.

Maggidon, Jun 8, 2016
  8. Should SSD's be defragmented

You may be over-thinking this a bit?*Redface

That sounds like the consensus for your new SSD:

defrag = NO
    TRIM = yes.

(And even if it were a HDD (aka "spinner"), I would not use an outdated 3rd-party application from 2012 for defragmenting. Ever since Vista, or at least 7, the built-in Windows defragmenter is probably more than adequate for defragmenting a spinner. There are 3rd-party products out there, but it doesn't seem wise to use an old, outdated application for such an important task on a modern OS or modern hardware. JMHO)

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 8, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Samsung has their own app called SAMSUNG MAGICIAN For giving you information and spec's for your SSD. Plus monitors its updates. Here is the link . Under Magician Software ver# 4.9.7 17.8MB
    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor...oad/tools.html
    Take care, Mike. *Smile

OldMike65, Jun 8, 2016
  10. Maggidon Win User
    As to Diskeeper, I'm being told it's the latest version. Do you know if it has gone out of business?
    As to the software in the Samsung SSD (and having not read the link yet) does the Samsung Magician replace TRIM?

Maggidon, Jun 8, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    It's hard to say what brand SSD you have on your laptop so I don't think that Magician will be of any use. As for Diskeeper.. I wouldn't use it since I don't think you really don't need it. All you really need to do to maintain an SSD is run the Trim command that's been pointed out to you and you will be all set.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jun 8, 2016
  12. A quick Google search turns up:
    But it doesn't matter, as everyone concurs that one should NOT use such a program to optimize or defragment a SSD.*Smile

Cheers, MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 8, 2016
  13. Should SSD's be defragmented

Somewhere, way back in this thread, I think the OP did mention that it is a Samsung SSD (it's a new, replacement drive, I think).*Smile

Exactly.*Wink

MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 8, 2016
  14. Edward Win User
    I set up windows defrag to trim my SSD monthly, is that good for my SSD?

Edward, Jun 8, 2016
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    If you read his post #20 Jeff you would have seen him post this. "I have a Samsgung 850 EV0 250GB sitting here on my desk "
    Or I would NOT have posted the link to Samsung Magician for him.

OldMike65, Jun 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Should SSD's be defragmented - Similar Threads - Should SSD's defragmented

2. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should i defragment an SSD?: my laptop now is slower than 1 month ago. In today, when i turned on laptop, it't automatic run checking disk. After checked disk, my laptop is quiet slow. I can't analyze C drive so i downloaded Defraggler and analyze disk. It's said 22% disk defragted then 26% defragted. I...
  3. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i defragment an SSD?: my laptop now is slower than 1 month ago. In today, when i turned on laptop, it't automatic run checking disk. After checked disk, my laptop is quiet slow. I can't analyze C drive so i downloaded Defraggler and analyze disk. It's said 22% disk defragted then 26% defragted. I...
  4. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Defrag SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defrag SSD: I have read defragging a SSD (Solid State drive) can greatly shorten its life so i have turned off scheduled maintenance for C & D discs however it seems to turn itself back on again over time (i am not sure when) is there a way of uninstalling windows 10 defrag or a...
  6. Should I defragment on SSD drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I defragment on SSD drive: Will defragmenting shorten ssd service life? Should I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-defragment-on-ssd-drive/a42de2e2-2b7c-40af-98ae-a3ba3f0ef83b
  7. Defragmenting SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragmenting SSD: Hello everyone! Should I use the Windows 10 built-in Disk Defragmentation to defragment my SSD? Some internet sources suggest that SSDs should never be defragmented. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-ssd/a3aac7a1-64d5-4c2d-a1eb-7b62401e340d
  8. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...
  9. Should "Defragment and Optimize Drives" be running for an SSD?

Should "Defragment and Optimize Drives" be running for an SSD?: I just noticed this today. I have a Samsung 960 EVO with Win 10 pro installed. I was monitoring something else with the Task Manager when I noticed that the optimize operation was running (Under the Task Manager it is listed as Service Host: Disk Defragmenter: Optimize...
  10. Is it bad to defrag a SSD? Also, should I defrag at all?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it bad to defrag a SSD? Also, should I defrag at all?: Should I defrag my SSD and or Harddrive? my windows 10 is on my SSD and I have a few games on my SSD and majority of random games and files are on my HDD. I heard it's bad to defrag a SSD 100910