Windows 10: Should Windows 10 be called Windows 10?

Discus and support Should Windows 10 be called Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I occasionally refer to it as "Window Pains" (sic). *Haha That's a good one. *Smile Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by groze, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Wynona Win User

Should Windows 10 be called Windows 10?

That's a good one. *Smile

Wynona, Feb 9, 2015

2. Every once in a while, fire up the Insider Hub app.

Later, the entry talks about Windows, not just Windows Update.

Bill

Slartybart, Feb 9, 2015
  3. CountMike New Member
    Hehehehe; Windows Mine. "Mine" like in the mine that goes boooooomm ?????

CountMike, Feb 9, 2015
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

Bill
    . Hi Bill, Will then it would appear that Linux is a service, as must be Mac OS X. So, there must not be An OS out there anymore. . .or am I just being silly. . .*Huh

5. Wynona Win User
    Hehehehe; Windows Mine. "Mine" like in the mine that goes boooooomm ????? Good point, Count!

Wynona, Feb 9, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Yeah, I'd like to blow up mine!

Edwin, Feb 9, 2015
  7. groze Win User

Bill
    I really don't know how that is going work for developers.
    The developers still are going to have to make more than one version of the software. For example you wouldn't want the mobile browser on the desktop or the desktop browser on mobile. Desktop browsers may not even fit on the mobile device. That will also fit other applications as well. The only way that might work which is a little scary. Your app is installed in the cloud, not on the computer or device itself. That would also make the app work for other operating systems if installed in the cloud. There are some problems with that, not everyone has constant internet connection or even has one. Some Internet Service Providers limit bandwidth.

groze, Feb 9, 2015
  8. Should Windows 10 be called Windows 10?

A lot of the current talk is pie in the sky - all Compaines try to differentiate their products from the competitors. Buzzwords drive marketing - "Ohhhh how about Windows as a service - that sounds new and cool". Don't let the hype fool you - until MS actually puts the OS in the cloud - HA! - it is still an OS. It would still be an OS, but your device would be the equivalent of a diskless workstation. These things have been muttered many times, many ways over the past 40 years - nothing really new - just new words.

I think what MS is trying to do is to get the ancillary services off the physical machine. Most of that already exists or existed once (eMail, cloud storage. Exchange, Notes, Groove) now all MS has to do is tie it all together across devices. This seems to indicate to me that the apps, not the OS will be cloud based, or at least have hooks into cloud based cross platform / cross device synchronized user interaction.

Say you're working on a presentation and you have to catch a plane. Instead of saving your work and opening it on a tablet when you're on the plane, you just keep working on the presentation as if you never stopped working on it. It's one smooth transition from your PC at home to your tablet on the plane.

How MS actually accomplishes this is their task. Needless to say there have been many attempts in the past to make something like this work. The reality, IMO, is it will take a few years to get there, if they can get there this time around *Wink

Bill

Slartybart, Feb 10, 2015
  9. I don't know what MS is planning - but don't confuse the app and the GUI. The presentation will surely differ for differnt devices, but the underlying app shouldn't have to - Windows provides all of the hooks to the hardware (think Java)

Slartybart, Feb 10, 2015
  10. I bet is XP would have been named Windows 2001 a lot of people would have gotten rid of it long before they actually did upgrade.

orlbuckeye, Feb 10, 2015
  11. caperjack Win User
    so, your saying people with a 8 or 12 year old computers running winxp don't realise they are outdated ,just because of its name

caperjack, Feb 10, 2015
  12. LEE
    Lee Win User
    A lot of the current talk is pie in the sky - all Compaines try to differentiate their products from the competitors. Buzzwords drive marketing - "Ohhhh how about Windows as a service - that sounds new and cool". Don't let the hype fool you - until MS actually puts the OS in the cloud - HA! - it is still an OS. It would still be an OS, but your device would be the equivalent of a diskless workstation. These things have been muttered many times, many ways over the past 40 years - nothing really new - just new words.

I think what MS is trying to do is to get the ancillary services off the physical machine. Most of that already exists or existed once (eMail, cloud storage. Exchange, Notes, Groove) now all MS has to do is tie it all together across devices. This seems to indicate to me that the apps, not the OS will be cloud based, or at least have hooks into cloud based cross platform / cross device synchronized user interaction.

Say you're working on a presentation and you have to catch a plane. Instead of saving your work and opening it on a tablet when you're on the plane, you just keep working on the presentation as if you never stopped working on it. It's one smooth transition from your PC at home to your tablet on the plane.

How MS actually accomplishes this is their task. Needless to say there have been many attempts in the past to make something like this work. The reality, IMO, is it will take a few years to get there, if they can get there this time around *Wink

Bill
    . Makes more sense then what the other poster said about it being a service. . .BTW you made my head very dizzy (which is not hard these days. . .*Smile

13. groze Win User

Bill
    I think I get it now. Windows 10 full retail operating system may be really cheap. What may cost is access to Microsoft cloud. The cloud will be subscription based. Now, I get how developers can develop one application for windows, the application/programs will be installed to the cloud not the computer. All devices will have access to the cloud. Actually, any operating system could be made to work with the cloud including windows 98se, just as long as you have a browser to access the cloud. Even Linux, MAC, BSD could access Microsoft cloud.

I couldn't figure out, why no more releases of the operating system wouldn't be made. The reason is most programs or application will be installed in a cloud. Microsoft would update the cloud more often than your computer. I do hope for a free work-around for those that don't want to use the cloud and still be able to use the internet like they have done with previous operating systems even if that means not using Microsoft products.

I also see some privacy concerns using the cloud.

Of course all this is just my opinion. Time will tell *Smile

groze, Feb 11, 2015
  14. Wynona Win User
    You got part of it right, Groze; I have a lifetime membership on OneDrive (Microsoft's Cloud) because I got in on the ground floor by being a tester. I also subscribe to Microsoft Office 365 and with that subscription, I have several GB of space on OneDrive. There's a rumor that subscribers to Office 365 will have unlimited storage on OneDrive. There ain't nuttin' Microsoft on OneDrive; it's for storing my stuff

If I were to guess what Microsoft has in mind, I would say it would be more likely that we'd have to buy from the Microsoft Store and that wouldn't be a subscription simply because there are too many variables. How would one be charged for a subscription to the cloud? I have approximately 63 folders on OneDrive. Say each of those folders held a particular Microsoft product. I've bought a bare bones OS. Can I go in carte blanche and get what I want to fluff out my OS? Hmmm, there's Office. Yeah, lemme have that too. MSDN? Sure, I'd like to have that too. See what I mean?

There will always be a new Windows as long as Microsoft is in existence. That's a given.

If Microsoft were to make Windows in the Cloud a subscription, I would be one of the first to abandon ship and look to alternatives. I have too many computers to pay yearly for a subscription when an OS can and will last several years. I have licenses to Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and will even have a license to Windows 10 when it's released. Only one of these licenses is OEM and tied to a particular computer. There are my alternatives!

I see privacy concerns just going onto the Internet with my computer, so going to the cloud isn't any worse to me.

Frankly, I hope you're wrong. I do not want to see my operating system become a subscription . . . Windows 10 should last me awhile. *092

Wynona, Feb 11, 2015
  15. It's all up in the air until MS finalizes their strategy. It will be years in the making, so don't sweat the small stuff. Will apps or the OS be in the cloud? Eventually, sure ... but today the Infrastructure isn't there and the users aren't there.

Windows 10 will be updated regularly, it won't be renamed after 3 years - it will remain Windows 10 for the foreseeable future.

I don't know the price target for Win10 - it will probably be around the same price as previous versions. The additional revenue allows MS to give free upgrades to users - they're not going to lose money on Win10 or the additional services offered.

When everyone has decent always on Internet access and users are accustomed to using networked serices, then things might move to the cloud. Everything I've said is based on my experience with previous attempts at centralized computing (mainframes) and cross platform independence. I was involved with a small group 30 years ago that wrote C++ application code for disparate machines - we did the cross platform trick way back then ... it was really hard even with the "portability" of the development language (IBM: MVS & VM, DEC: Unix & RSX, Tandem: Unix, PCs, workstations, and single function machines).

Anyway... I see this as a new beginning - Deja vu all over again *Wink

Slartybart, Feb 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Should Windows 10 be called Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Should called

2. How long after opening a ticket for windows activation should you wait for a call from the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How long after opening a ticket for windows activation should you wait for a call from the...: I've changed some hardware within my PC mainly the Motherboard and was advised to resintall my OS for best performance. after linking my windows to my micrsoft account, I went ahead with the reset but lost my Windows. I've tried everything suggested and eventually had to open...
  3. How long after opening a ticket for windows activation should you wait for a call from the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How long after opening a ticket for windows activation should you wait for a call from the...: I've changed some hardware within my PC mainly the Motherboard and was advised to resintall my OS for best performance. after linking my windows to my micrsoft account, I went ahead with the reset but lost my Windows. I've tried everything suggested and eventually had to open...
  4. How long after opening a ticket for windows activation should you wait for a call from the...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Should be simple "call support because troubleshooting isn't solving error 0xC004F211", but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should be simple "call support because troubleshooting isn't solving error 0xC004F211", but...: I changed the motherboard and now there's a problem in reactivating the Windows 11 Pro. License is associated to a Microsoft account and I've done as instructed [1] to prepare for the reactivation.Next to the troubleshooting button there's an error message containing...
  6. Should be simple "call support because troubleshooting isn't solving error 0xC004F211", but...

Should be simple "call support because troubleshooting isn't solving error 0xC004F211", but...: I changed the motherboard and now there's a problem in reactivating the Windows 11 Pro. License is associated to a Microsoft account and I've done as instructed [1] to prepare for the reactivation.Next to the troubleshooting button there's an error message containing...
  7. Is this a scam? Flashing screen saying the computer is locked and I should call the number...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this a scam? Flashing screen saying the computer is locked and I should call the number...: as soon as I log into my computer there is a screaming flashing screen to say that my computer is locked and I should call the number on the srreen. Is this ligit or a scam. How do I get out of it* Moved from Community Center* Original title: Is this a scam...
  8. Is this a scam? Flashing screen saying the computer is locked and I should call the number...

Is this a scam? Flashing screen saying the computer is locked and I should call the number...: as soon as I log into my computer there is a screaming flashing screen to say that my computer is locked and I should call the number on the srreen. Is this ligit or a scam. How do I get out of it* Moved from Community Center* Original title: Is this a scam...
  9. What should I do if I already called the number that the critical alert scammers sent me?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What should I do if I already called the number that the critical alert scammers sent me?: But I stupidly already did call the number, the person kept asking me how old I was, I never told him and I eventually just hung up the phone....
  10. What should I do if I already called the number that the critical alert scammers sent me?

What should I do if I already called the number that the critical alert scammers sent me?: But I stupidly already did call the number, the person kept asking me how old I was, I never told him and I eventually just hung up the phone....