Windows 10: Should you install preview updates for Windows 10 or Windows 11?

Discus and support Should you install preview updates for Windows 10 or Windows 11? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft releases at least two updates for its Windows 10 and 11 operating systems per month. The first update is rolled out on the second Tuesday of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 25, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Should you install preview updates for Windows 10 or Windows 11?

Microsoft releases at least two updates for its Windows 10 and 11 operating systems per month. The first update is rolled out on the second Tuesday of the month; it includes security updates for supported versions of the Windows operating system, and is installed automatically on most Home systems (as this is the default configuration).

Should you install preview updates for Windows 10 or Windows 11? [​IMG]

The second update that Microsoft releases is optional; it is a preview update that includes changes that will be included in the next Patch Tuesday update. Preview updates are not installed automatically and administrators may need to run manual check for updates using the Windows Update section of the Settings app, download the updates manually, or use other update management systems to install these.

Preview updates do not include security patches for Windows. The optional updates may introduce new features in Windows, fix bugs and issues, or make changes to existing features.

The March 2022 preview update for Windows 10 version 21H2 introduced the new search highlights feature, fixed a heap leak that degraded the performance of domain controllers, and fixed a bluescreen issue on some devices when pairing Bluetooth devices.

Tip: check out Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates, which provides a take on optional driver updates. It has been written for Windows 10, but is valid for Windows 11 as well.

Arguments for installing optional Windows updates

Arguments for and against the installation of preview updates exist. The installation of preview updates may fix issues that are experienced on the system. Having issues resolved weeks early is a strong argument for installing optional updates at times.

Some administrators may also use these optional updates to test the changes before they go live on the second Tuesday of the following month. Testing is limited to non-security patches though, and more testing is required to make sure that the security patches do not introduce new issues. Some users like the idea of having the latest updates installed on their devices.

Arguments against installing Windows preview updates

The main argument against installing Windows preview updates is that any update may introduce issues of its own. Why risk installing updates with issues on a system without any issues? The optional updates should be considered beta updates, as Microsoft uses Telemetry from the early distribution to spot issues that these may create on customer systems.

Preview updates may sometimes introduce changes that users may not want or like. Skipping the preview updates pushes the introduction of these changes back a few weeks.

Closing Words

Preview updates may be useful in certain situations. If they fix major issues that users experience, then it may be useful to install the updates to resolve these issues for the users. Most users may want to ignore optional updates most of the time though, as these may introduce issues of their own on the system, and because they are included in the cumulative security updates that Microsoft releases just a few weeks later.

Now You: do you install optional Windows updates?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Should you install preview updates for Windows 10 or Windows 11? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 25, 2022
  2. Cvrk Win User

Installing Windows 10 on Lumia 920

These are the official EASy steps on how to do it. How to install Windows 10 Preview to your Lumia Windows Phone | Windows Central

There very simple and i've already tried them. The problem that i face is that the software (this app) does not find any updates for me .
    Many people across the world have this issues .So you need the proxy etc thing to get it to work.

3. Cvrk Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on Lumia 920

I have a Lumia 920 mobile phone.
    Found a list on the net with compatible phones that support Win 10. Mine is on that list.
    Can't upgrade with the usual way.
    Found help on this official website of developers for Windows Phones. It's a step by step no brainer thing. Most people are doing it. Except me. I can't get past point 6. HOWTO: Install Windows 10 for Phones on Non-supported devices (and other hacks)

"6.Connect to the same WiFi that your PC is on. Edit the settings for the WiFi connection to turn on the Proxy and set it to use the PC’s IP address and enter 8877 for the port "

7. Open Internet Explorer on your phone and navigate to http://[pc.ip.add.ress]:8877 where [pc.ip.add.ress] is the IP address of the PC running the WPInsidersHacks app

No idea what this means.I guess i need to access the router and modify some settings in there. Some guy on the forum told me " think he means to use the local IP address of the pc. Go to cmd and type ipconfig and look for ipv4 address. Should be somethin like 192/......"

I did connect my phone as always via wi-fi to my router. But i have no ideea how to use that proxy or how to make my phone have the same Ip as computer. I did start WPInsiderHacks app on pc. This is what it looks like

Should you install preview updates for Windows 10 or Windows 11? [​IMG]

Theres also this official Windows Phones
    It says this :
    1. Download the Windows Insider app.
    Press ... > about > make sure Sys free space is 300MB or more.
    If there isn't enough space, make full reset with Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

Code:
    upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn:7777

Download and install certificate.
    3. Edit WiFi connection, enable Proxy

Code:
    upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn

4. Open Insider app, click get builds
    5. You will get Enroll page, do not Enroll yet!
    6. Switch to WIFI settings, turn off proxy.
    7. Switch to Windows Insider app and now you can enroll for Windows 10 Technical Preview.
    Choose Fast option.
    8. Check Settings > Phone update.
    If it can't find updates, you may need to reboot your phone and enroll again (without a proxy now).

Same thing with the proxy. Anyways the more detailed steps on the DEV forum are much better i think .Cuz they put out more info on how to do it.

Can anybody help me with step 6 ?

4. Should you install preview updates for Windows 10 or Windows 11?

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Apr 25, 2022
Thema:

Should you install preview updates for Windows 10 or Windows 11?

1. Should you install preview updates for Windows 10 or Windows 11? - Similar Threads - Should install preview

2. Should you upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 version 22H2?

in Windows 10 News
    Should you upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 version 22H2?: Windows 10 is the most popular desktop operating system from a usage share point of view. While some Windows 10 owners decided to upgrade to Windows 11 when the operating system came out last year, the majority decided against it. [ATTACH] Apart from the elephant in the...
  3. Should you install the Windows 11 2022 Update right away?

in Windows 10 News
    Should you install the Windows 11 2022 Update right away?: Microsoft has not announced the official release date for the first Windows 11 feature update yet, but hints suggests that it may drop on September 20, 2022. With the release of a new feature update comes a question: should you install the Windows 11 2022 Update right away on...
  4. Windows 10 updates installed on Windows 11. Should I uninstall it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 updates installed on Windows 11. Should I uninstall it?: Hi, I am currently using Windwows 11 version 21H2. I upgraded from windows 10 two weeks ago. Today, I found Windows 10 updates on Windows 11 under Setting>Apps & features. My question is whether should I remove it or Windows will remove it automatically with the passage of...
  5. Windows 10 updates installed on Windows 11. Should I uninstall it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 updates installed on Windows 11. Should I uninstall it?: Hi, I am currently using Windwows 11 version 21H2. I upgraded from windows 10 two weeks ago. Today, I found Windows 10 updates on Windows 11 under Setting>Apps & features. My question is whether should I remove it or Windows will remove it automatically with the passage of...
  6. Should you upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming?

in Windows 10 News
    Should you upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming?: Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system has been out for almost two weeks at this point. The operating system is available via Windows Update on compatible devices only, but can also be downloaded and installed on devices that do not meet Windows 11's minimal system...
  7. KB5001391 is another Windows update that you should not install, except..

in Windows 10 News
    KB5001391 is another Windows update that you should not install, except..: Microsoft released the Windows update KB5001391 on April 28, 2021 as an optional update for Windows 10 version 2004 and 20H2. The update falls into the C-category of updates for Windows, which means that it includes only non-security fixes and that installation is not...
  8. Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates?

in Windows 10 News
    Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates?: Microsoft moved driver updates in Windows 10 from the Device Manager to the Optional Updates section of the Windows Updates settings application this year after the company announced the change in 2019. Windows 10 administrators who check these optional updates may see one...
  9. Should you install the Windows 10 20H2 update right away?

in Windows 10 News
    Should you install the Windows 10 20H2 update right away?: The next feature update for Windows 10, Windows 10 20H2, will be released soon. Microsoft has not revealed the exact date the update will become available, but chance is very high that this is either going to happen in the coming three weeks. The update will be made...
  10. Should you install Windows 10 Updates?

in Windows 10 News
    Should you install Windows 10 Updates?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft rolls out Windows 10 Updates regularly. It can be security updates, a significant upgrade or cumulative updates. Given the problems that Windows 10 updates cause – some people have this lingering question in their minds – Should you install [...]...