Windows 10: Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates?

Discus and support Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft moved driver updates in Windows 10 from the Device Manager to the Optional Updates section of the Windows Updates settings application this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 28, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates?

Microsoft moved driver updates in Windows 10 from the Device Manager to the Optional Updates section of the Windows Updates settings application this year after the company announced the change in 2019.

Windows 10 administrators who check these optional updates may see one or multiple drivers offered on the device there.

Some administrators may find the listing irritating; should these updates be installed if they are offered, or avoided?

Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates? windows-10-optional-driver-updates.png

Another question that may come to mind is why some updates are displayed with a release date that dates back to 1970, and why some updates lack date information altogether.

The answer is relatively simple, and Microsoft provides a short explanation on the page:

If you have a specific problem, one of these drivers might help. Otherwise, automatic drivers will keep your drivers up to date.

The optional drivers should not be installed on devices that don't have any issues or problems that may be associated with the devices that the listed drivers power, e.g. Wi-Fi connectivity or the printer. They are to be ignored if everything works as expected.

If problems or issues are encountered, then it is possible that these drivers may resolve these issues as they provide an alternative to the drivers that are used on the device currently.

Windows 10: roll back a driver

Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates? windows-rollback-driver.png

Windows administrators may uninstall the alternative drivers again after they have been installed, e.g. by using the Device Manager's driver rollback feature:

• Use Windows-X to display the admin menu and select Device Manager.
    • Locate the component, right-click on it and select Properties from the menu.
    • Switch to the Driver tab.
    • Use the Roll Back Driver button to start the process.
    Older or default drivers

The drivers offered under optional updates are usually older or default drivers, and that is one reason why some of them are backdated (as they might be installed otherwise, e.g. via Windows Updates or by the administrator).

Microsoft will push updated drivers to devices via Windows Updates if manufacturers release new driver versions that pass certification; this is an automatic process that happens behind the scenes. Drivers that are installed automatically via Windows Update are rolled out gradually.

Drivers in Optional updates provide an option if a device that is powered by one of the offered drivers is not working properly. Administrators could also hunt down a driver on the manufacturer's website instead. Older drivers, beta drivers, or new drivers may be offered there and they may resolve the issue as well.

Now You: Do you install drivers manually on your devices? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 28, 2020

2. Windows 7 wont install drivers

i dont think anyone here understands what your asking either when its nearly a 90% english dominated Tech forum.
    Step 1
    reinstall windows from scratch
    Step 2
    install all drivers from the cd that came with the god damn motherboard *common sense*
    Step 3
    update windows
    Step 4
    install misc etc crap like flash java etc etc
    Step 5
    Install GPU drivers
    Step 6
    go back to using your pc without issue.

crazyeyesreaper, Sep 28, 2020
  3. Windows 7 wont install drivers

+1

If you having an issue installing a driver that worked before you formatted or wont install on a fresh build, sometimes this means hardware damage

brandonwh64, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates?

New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates?

1. Should you install Windows 10's Optional Driver updates? - Similar Threads - Should install 10's

2. Should you install preview updates for Windows 10 or Windows 11?

in Windows 10 News
    Should you install preview updates for Windows 10 or Windows 11?: Microsoft releases at least two updates for its Windows 10 and 11 operating systems per month. The first update is rolled out on the second Tuesday of the month; it includes security updates for supported versions of the Windows operating system, and is installed...
  3. Should i install and optional update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should i install and optional update: [ATTACH] Should I install this update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-install-and-optional-update/fb45f237-0960-49b8-bba4-39bdd43302ef
  4. Should I install these optional driver updates or will they cause any problems?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I install these optional driver updates or will they cause any problems?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/I_love_emoji [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jlxovi/should_i_install_these_optional_driver_updates_or/
  5. Don’t use Windows 10’s ‘Optional Updates’ if you want a stable system

in Windows 10 News
    Don’t use Windows 10’s ‘Optional Updates’ if you want a stable system: Some users seek to be the first to use Windows 10 feature updates, cumulative updates and driver updates via Microsoft’s Windows Update. If you just want a stable system, don’t go clicking “Download and install” button under the new “Optional updates” section for Windows 10...
  6. Windows 10 is pushing old drivers updates that you should avoid

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 is pushing old drivers updates that you should avoid: Microsoft has created another mess of Windows Updates on Windows 10, although this time the update wasn’t botched. According to user reports, Microsoft has started rolling out old and inappropriate drivers to some machines, including one of our devices from Asus. Users are...
  7. Should you install the Windows 10 20H2 update right away?

in Windows 10 News
    Should you install the Windows 10 20H2 update right away?: The next feature update for Windows 10, Windows 10 20H2, will be released soon. Microsoft has not revealed the exact date the update will become available, but chance is very high that this is either going to happen in the coming three weeks. The update will be made...
  8. Windows 10 now allows you to get optional and driver updates

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 now allows you to get optional and driver updates: A new feature rolling out to Windows 10 will make it easier for users to access the available driver and optional updates. In Windows 10 Build 19041.450 or newer, Microsoft said it has restored the Windows 7-era optional updates page, which allows you to discover new updates...
  9. How to install Driver and Optional Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to install Driver and Optional Updates in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Windows Update has improved by leaps and bounds the past few years, and it is getting better. The Windows Team is now making it easier […] This article How to install Driver and Optional Updates in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. Should you install Windows 10 Updates?

in Windows 10 News
    Should you install Windows 10 Updates?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft rolls out Windows 10 Updates regularly. It can be security updates, a significant upgrade or cumulative updates. Given the problems that Windows 10 updates cause – some people have this lingering question in their minds – Should you install [...]...