Windows 10: Should you upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming?

Discus and support Should you upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system has been out for almost two weeks at this point. The operating system is available via Windows Update on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 18, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Should you upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming?

Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system has been out for almost two weeks at this point. The operating system is available via Windows Update on compatible devices only, but can also be downloaded and installed on devices that do not meet Windows 11's minimal system requirements. Windows 11 is a free upgrade for genuine Windows 10 devices.

The current version of Windows 11 suffers from a list of known issues, and several that Microsoft has not confirmed officially, some of which may affect gaming on the device.

Is Windows 11 better for gaming?

Should you upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming? Windows-11-Assassins-Creed-Valhalla-Medium-High-Settings.jpg

As a gamer, one question that you may have is, whether it is a good idea to upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming. Is it beneficial to run Windows 11, or is there no real advantage to upgrading to Microsoft's new operating system.

The answer requires a quick comparison between Windows 10 and Windows 11. Windows 11 is an updated version of Windows 10. It shares many features with Windows 10, and there are just a few differences that are of interest to gamers.

Microsoft introduced two new gaming related features in Windows 11: Auto HDR and DirectStorage.

• Auto HDR requires a HDR-capable display. Basically, what it does is enable HDR in games automatically that don't support it natively.
    • DirectStorage is an API that Microsoft introduced on Xbox originally. It is designed to speed up the loading of games and game assets significantly. Without going into details, the loading is designed to bypass the processor to speed up the operation. Downside to DirectStorage is that it requires a fast NVMe drive. Another downside is that Microsoft announced that DirectStorage will also be made available on Windows 10. Last but not least, games need to implement the API to make use of it.

What does this mean for gamers? Currently, gamers may not notice much of a difference, if at all, when they upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Ashwin ran Windows 11 game performance tests and concluded that Windows 11 runs games as good, or as bad, as Windows 10.

Should you upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming? Windows-11-Gaming-Performance.jpg

One of Windows 11's new APIs, DirectStorage, is coming to Windows 10 as well, and that leaves Auto HDR as the only feature that is exclusive. It does require a display that supports HDR, and may not be as visually impressive as native HDR in games.

Closing Words

There is no real difference currently when it comes to games. Windows 10 is supported until 2025, Windows 11 will be supported for longer. Microsoft plans to release one major feature update for Windows 11 each year, and new features will land in Windows 11 but not necessarily Windows 10. New gaming related features, if any are in the pipeline, will definitely be introduced in Windows 11.

Games will run fine on Windows 10 and on Windows 11 in the coming years. There is a chance that Microsoft will introduce new gaming features in Windows 11, but nothing has been confirmed at this point.

Gamers may want to wait with the upgrade. Microsoft is working on a fix for AMD devices, as these are affected by issues currently that drop performance on Windows 11. A fix is expected to be released later this month. Still, Windows 11 has issues, and it is a good idea to wait until the major ones do get resolved before any device is upgraded to the new operating system.

There is no rush to upgrade to Windows 11 from a PC gaming point of view, because the gain is minimal, at best at this point.

Now You: do you play games? Which is your operating system, and why?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Should you upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 18, 2021
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Unable to play farmville game in IE 11

Hi Donna,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you face same issue in Microsoft Edge too?
    • Is the issue specific to Farmville game?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Step 1: Check if the Add-on are causing the issue.

Manage add-ons in Internet Explorer 11

Step 2: Let us check if cookies might be the reason for the issue.

Delete and manage cookies

Step 3: If the above steps didn't help in resolving the issue then I suggest you to reset Internet Explorer.

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer
    Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the
    Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Note: Also install all pending Windows updates in your PC and check.

Do let us know if you need any further assistance. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Oct 18, 2021
  3. Karla Alm Win User
    Adobe Flash message in IE 11

Hi Sandra,

To help you out with your concern, we suggest that you disable the add-ons in Internet Explorer 11. For step by step instructions, go to this

link
    , then look for the title Turning off and removing add-ons.

We also suggest that you reset Internet Explorer 11 through these steps:

• Go to Internet Explorer then click the Gear icon.
    • Choose Internet options > Advanced.
    • Click Reset.

(Note: If you have added Favorites, back up them first before resetting the browser. )

Should you need further assistance, let us know.

Regards.

Karla Alm, Oct 18, 2021
  4. Should you upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming?

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Oct 18, 2021
Thema:

Should you upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming?

1. Should you upgrade to Windows 11 for gaming? - Similar Threads - Should upgrade gaming

2. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  3. Should i upgrade to windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should i upgrade to windows 11?: here are my pc specs and it says it supports italso when i upgrade, will I get windows 11 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-upgrade-to-windows-11/ed9c3467-9432-41fc-a3f4-d192fc5971a7
  4. Should I Upgrade to Windows 11?

Should I Upgrade to Windows 11?: Hi,Let us keep this short and sweet;I really like the look of Windows 11 and would like to upgrade to it but due to hardware problems, I cannot.However, it's just that my processor is i7 6500U. This shouldn't cause issues regarding sluggish response times, As it's very close...
  5. Should you upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 version 22H2?

in Windows 10 News
    Should you upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 version 22H2?: Windows 10 is the most popular desktop operating system from a usage share point of view. While some Windows 10 owners decided to upgrade to Windows 11 when the operating system came out last year, the majority decided against it. [ATTACH] Apart from the elephant in the...
  6. Should I upgrade to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I upgrade to Windows 11?: I have been debating whever I should upgrade my laptop. I mostly use my secondary laptop for school work and research, and some games. Here are my specs:. 4 Core AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz 384KB L1 Cache, 2MB L2 Cache, 4MB L3 Cache. 8.00 GB RAM...
  7. Windows 7, should you upgrade?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7, should you upgrade?: On the topic of using a Windows 7 machine and deciding whether or not to upgrade to windows 10, I've come to some conclusions. If you plan on purchasing a new computer that has windows 10 installed to replace your old windows 7 machine that's fine, but if You're using a...
  8. Windows 7, should you upgrade?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7, should you upgrade?: On the topic of using a Windows 7 machine and deciding whether or not to upgrade to windows 10, I've come to some conclusions. If you plan on purchasing a new computer that has windows 10 installed to replace your old windows 7 machine that's fine, but if You're using a...
  9. Windows 7, should you upgrade?

10. How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer?

in Windows 10 News
    How is the Windows 11 gaming performance? Should you upgrade if you are a gamer?: Windows 11 is the talk of the town, having been released yesterday. Have you upgraded to the new OS? Gamers will have a question about it, no they aren't going to ask, can it run Game XYZ? The real concern is, how is the gaming performance in Windows 11? Is it worth sticking...