Windows 10: Show File Explorer FOLDER NAMES in Taskbar instead of PREVIEWS with truncated paths? -...

Discus and support Show File Explorer FOLDER NAMES in Taskbar instead of PREVIEWS with truncated paths? -... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In Windows 7 Pro, when you have more folders open than will fit in the taskbar the folder names all get collapsed into the File Explorer icon in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TSmithNH, Apr 21, 2020.

1. TSmithNH Win User

Show File Explorer FOLDER NAMES in Taskbar instead of PREVIEWS with truncated paths? -...

In Windows 7 Pro, when you have more folders open than will fit in the taskbar the folder names all get collapsed into the File Explorer icon in the taskbar and when you click the File Explorer icon in the taskbar the list of open folder names pop up into a vertical menu list of folder names from which you could choose a folder.

In Windows 10, the list of folder names has been replaced by the folder Previews which shows the beginning of the folder path for example, C:\Users\B... - but it does not show all of the actual open folder names unless you roll over each preview one at a time to see the full path with folder name. Very slow and inefficient since you can't just see the folder names all at a glance. : I'd like to see the name of the folder that is open.

Is there a way to show either show...

1. The File Explorer LIST of Folder Names like in Windows 7 instead of folder PREVIEWS of the open folders?

or

2. Show the open Folder Names instead of the beginning of the path... by default without having to roll over each preview one at a time? I don't mind the horizontal list of Previews as long as long as I could see all the folder names at a glance in the title bar of each preview.

Thanks in advance for any insights/tips.

:)

TSmithNH, Apr 21, 2020

2. preview/details pane in explorer

Hi,

Setting the Preview pane to show or hide in File Explorer will apply to all folders. If you wish to hide the Preview pane in File Explorer, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Tap on View tab.
    • Click Preview Pane to view/hide it.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Apr 21, 2020
  3. Kenn31547 Win User
    Want to get rid of thumbnail preview in Windows 10 on combined taskbar icons. Just want path/file names in popup list.

Thanx!!!

It worked. However, the width of the list is not wide enough as I have longer path names. I will try setting the MinThumbSizePx
    to a different value. Perhaps, the width of the path string is the the size of the path string on the thumbnail. Unless of course there is a way to extend the width of the list to show a longer path string.

Kenn31547, Apr 21, 2020
  4. PianSa Win User

Show File Explorer FOLDER NAMES in Taskbar instead of PREVIEWS with truncated paths? -...

Suggestion – File explorer (to show path name)

That I hope when one would click the icon “Copy to”, that in showing the list of folders where you want the file/s to be copied to, that it would also show the path to which the folder is located and not just the folder name.
    Because right now, I would only rely on the icon and the folder’s location on the listing that appears, to know that it’s indeed the folder where I want the files to be copied to.

Like as shown in this screencopy, that I would only base on the icon appearance and its location in the list to know that is the folder where I want my files to be copied to.

Show File Explorer FOLDER NAMES in Taskbar instead of PREVIEWS with truncated paths? -... aeeb746d-b43c-4ce1-913f-6bad9c4b1aea.png

PianSa, Apr 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Show File Explorer FOLDER NAMES in Taskbar instead of PREVIEWS with truncated paths? -... - Similar Threads - Show File Explorer

2. Windows 11 File Explorer Tabs - Show Folder Name not Path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer Tabs - Show Folder Name not Path: I just updated to Windows 11 and love that you can have tabs at the top of the File Explorer instead of multiple file windows. My problem is that every tab is showing the start of the file path instead of the folder name so it makes it impossible to distinguish what tab is...
  3. Windows 11 File Explorer Tabs - Show Folder Name not Path

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer Tabs - Show Folder Name not Path: I just updated to Windows 11 and love that you can have tabs at the top of the File Explorer instead of multiple file windows. My problem is that every tab is showing the start of the file path instead of the folder name so it makes it impossible to distinguish what tab is...
  4. Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path: In explorer, if I search for something, say "Fallout4*.ini" in my Steam library, my search results in Details view look like this:NameDate modifiedType SizeFolderFallout4_Default.ini13/10/2021 15:05Configuration settings3 KBFallout 4...
  5. Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path

Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path: In explorer, if I search for something, say "Fallout4*.ini" in my Steam library, my search results in Details view look like this:NameDate modifiedType SizeFolderFallout4_Default.ini13/10/2021 15:05Configuration settings3 KBFallout 4...
  6. Show full path in the 'Folder' column when searching, instead of folder name + path

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. File folder won't show preview if file has # in the name

File folder won't show preview if file has # in the name: Hi, with my last update 3/10/2022 my file folder won't display any PDF file with the # in the name. How can I fix this as I use that for invoices numbers to label work often....
  8. Taskbar folder name explorer title bar full path

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar folder name explorer title bar full path: Hello, I'm looking for a way to display in Taskbar folder name (it can be with elide if there is a space for that in front, actually preferred that) and at the same time full path in Windows Explorer. Currently closes to what I want is this: What I want is: There are two...
  9. Start Menu icons showing the file path instead of the app name

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu icons showing the file path instead of the app name: I just recently enabled virtualization on my Windows 10 so I could use BlueStacks, and ever since then none of my Microsoft apps work. For example, whenever I try to run Word Document, Microsoft Office starts running, and it says “Updating Office, please wait a moment.”...
  10. Applications not showing icons in taskbar and previews not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Applications not showing icons in taskbar and previews not showing in File Explorer: I've been having problems for 6+ months and haven't been able to fix this issue. I believe it started after some small update before the big Anniversary update. Some programs are not showing their icons in the taskbar (including the default Mail application, Microsoft Edge,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 file explorer on task bar