Windows 10: Show file names when hover over 1 of many documents on task bar

Discus and support Show file names when hover over 1 of many documents on task bar in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; On Windows 7, if I hover over any 1 of say 3 Word documents on the task bar, I am shown a list of file names. I can select one, and focus will shift... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by FrankyMacky, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Show file names when hover over 1 of many documents on task bar

On Windows 7, if I hover over any 1 of say 3 Word documents on the task bar, I am shown a list of file names. I can select one, and focus will shift to that document.

On Windows 10, I'm am shown 3 tiny images, one per document. It is not possible to tell which image is for which document. It looks cool, but is not useful.

Is there any way to get the more useful display of file names on Windows 10?

:)

FrankyMacky, Sep 11, 2020
  2. Vwake123 Win User

No Task Bar (hovering) preview, no peeking, no full screen is on hovering over and clicking

When there is no window opened, hovering over taskbar app icons, a preview is shown, but on hovering over preview no full window is opened, and no peeking is done, and also clicking on that small preview, no window opened.

1. And whenever there is a window is opened then hovering over taskbar icons doesn't gives any preview of the window.
    2. But it still opens window, on just clicking on task bar icons ( i.e. working fine ).

And when two windows of any app is being opened and if minimized any of them then you can not maximise that minimized window...???

• And when both windows of same app is being minimized then hovering over task bar icon of that app still shows those two previews, but clicking on any preview doesn't provide anything, and thus it all means after minimizing those two window of that app you
      can not recover any of the window.
    Basically the problem is I'm not able to open window ( or make full ) from any task bar preview and the First (1.) one also of first paragraph.

Vwake123, Sep 11, 2020
  3. Pifflepop Win User
    List of recent documents not showing Windows 10

You can make a list of recent documents appear in 2 ways in W10.

1. Left click over the Word icon in the task bar (task bar is at the bottom of your screen).

2. Click the start menu. Hover over the picture of the Word icon, and left click the mouse. A list of about 10 recent documents will appear.

Left clicking over the other icons in the task bar will give you a list of recent files open in those programs too (ie, if you have Acrobat there, browser list etc.).

Pifflepop, Sep 11, 2020
  4. sixt5cuda Win User

Show file names when hover over 1 of many documents on task bar

Windows 10 lost my pinned OneDrive file links on the task bar

First, my files are not missing, I simply cannot access them the same way I did with Windows 8 and 8.1

Correct behavior from Windows 8.1:

1) Open Windows Explorer

2) Find and open Notepad file "Notes.txt" located in a OneDrive folder

3) Notepad is pinned to the task bar

4) Right-click on Notepad icon in task bar

5) List of recent files appears, including files recently opened on OneDrive

6) Right-click on "Notes.txt", left-click on Pin To This List

7) "Notes.txt" is now quickly accessible from the list of files in the Notepad list on the task bar

Under Windows 10, step 5 is broken. Files located on OneDrive never appear in the list of recent items for a pinned application on the task bar. This behavior is duplicated on the Start Menu Jump List.

Under Windows 8.1, I had many pinned documents connected to applications on my task bar. As soon as Windows 10 booted the first time, these links disappeared. Links to documents on the desktop or in my local Documents folder, remained linked to task bar
    applications.

Has anyone else seen this behavior, or is it just my computer?

sixt5cuda, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

Show file names when hover over 1 of many documents on task bar

1. Show file names when hover over 1 of many documents on task bar - Similar Threads - Show file names

2. Adjust taskbar hover-over bubbles to show only vertical list of file names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adjust taskbar hover-over bubbles to show only vertical list of file names: I have a full taskbar. I've chosen to combine the taskbar icons when the taskbar is full. When I hover over one of the icons say Word, I see a horizontal arrangement of say three abutted thumbnails, one per Word document. The filenames show above the thumbnails in truncated...
  3. Adjust taskbar hover-over bubbles to show only vertical list of file names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adjust taskbar hover-over bubbles to show only vertical list of file names: I have a full taskbar. I've chosen to combine the taskbar icons when the taskbar is full. When I hover over one of the icons say Word, I see a horizontal arrangement of say three abutted thumbnails, one per Word document. The filenames show above the thumbnails in truncated...
  4. Adjust taskbar hover-over bubbles to show only vertical list of file names

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Task bar not coming up when mouse hover it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task bar not coming up when mouse hover it: Taskbar suddenly went behind the screen and cant access it when the mouse hove it but if the windows in minimised or not maximised I can access taskbar. Its like it is sent to the back layer of the screen Here is the link of my problem.. https://youtu.be/V0-kw6RE_soIf u have...
  6. Task bar not coming up when mouse hover it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task bar not coming up when mouse hover it: Taskbar suddenly went behind the screen and cant access it when the mouse hove it but if the windows in minimised or not maximised I can access taskbar. Its like it is sent to the back layer of the screen Here is the link of my problem.. https://youtu.be/V0-kw6RE_soIf u have...
  7. Task bar not coming up when mouse hover it

8. Excel - File open - hover over files - file names do not show up

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel - File open - hover over files - file names do not show up: Office 365 / Windows 10 x64 Excel: File > Open shows a list of filenames. Due to the limited space, long file names are cut off, regretfully so. (There is a lot of unused empty space on the right of the File - Open dialog) Problem: in case long file names with almost...
  9. Task Bar icon hovering showing up repeatedly

Task Bar icon hovering showing up repeatedly: I've recently been having an error where, no matter where my mouse is on the screen, the hover-over tip that shows up when you mouse over an item on the task bar, will show up randomly, as shown in the screenshot taken below. It only seems to show up on my right monitor, when...
  10. No Task Bar (hovering) preview, no peeking, no full screen is on hovering over and clicking

No Task Bar (hovering) preview, no peeking, no full screen is on hovering over and clicking: When there is no window opened, hovering over taskbar app icons, a preview is shown, but on hovering over preview no full window is opened, and no peeking is done, and also clicking on that small preview, no window opened. And whenever there is a window is opened then...