Windows 10: Show Hidden Files And Folders Error

Discus and support Show Hidden Files And Folders Error in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I haven't updated anything today, but now when I go into Control Panel>Appearance And Personalisation>Show Hidden Files And Folders, I just get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Booms, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Booms Win User

Show Hidden Files And Folders Error

Hi,
    I haven't updated anything today, but now when I go into Control Panel>Appearance And Personalisation>Show Hidden Files And Folders, I just get a beep and then get taken back to the desktop, with nothing happening.
    Other options in Control Panel seem to be fine.
    Has anyone got any ideas, please?
    Many thanks.

:)

Booms, Mar 10, 2017
  2. Haandy Win User

Can't show Hidden files and Folders option

Hello , i'm having the same issue with

Can't change show Hidden files and Folders option, keeps reverting back to hidden

I'm Using windows 10

what i already do is :

- Check if the following registry value exists.

a. Click Start, type regedit and hit enter.

b. Locate the following registry:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\

Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL

c. Click SHOWALL folder in the left pane and check if item CheckedValue is present in the right pane and if the value set to it is 1.

d. If CheckedValue item is missing in the right pane, then right click in the blank area on the right pane, click New -> click DWORD (32 bit) value if your computer is running 32 bit Windows, else click
    64 bit value.

e. Name the item you created as CheckedValue.

f. Double click on CheckedValue item and type 1 in the value data box and then click ok.

g. Close the registry editor and restart the computer.

h. Enable hidden files and folders to see if it works.

Fail, Nothing changed

the value is already 1 , and im not sure that i need to change the DWORD (32 Bit) to QWORD (64 Bit) Because right now , the checkedvalue i have is DWORD (or should i change it ?).

so i also already tried to change it to 0 , tick the button and it's not working

and i change it again to 1 , tick the button and it's not working again

-Run online virus scan and check the result

a. Visit Online Virus Scan

b. Click Full service scan and complete the scan.

c. Restart the computer once the scan is complete.

Online Virus Scan is not available , I use Windows Defender to check my whole PC (Scan Options : FULL) , it takes around 5 Hours

and it didnt found any virus.

- According to

Windows 8.1 hidden files and folders don't show

"

So I just did a full search in registry for the value "SuperHidden" , and I found one in the registry for the user

"[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]"

I tried to change values like "HideFileExt" to see if it affects windows or not. and It did change the windows explorer to view hidden file extensions. So I tried to find the key that should show and hide files and folders. That one was "Hidden" , its value
    was 2. when I changed that value to 1 I can see hidden files and folders. and when I changed it back to 0 or 2 , I can't see the hidden files and folders.

The interesting thing is that , when I changed "Hidden" value to the value 1. and went back to the Folder Settings , I found that both options "Don't show" and "Show" are both un-selected. as you see below.

Show Hidden Files And Folders Error [​IMG]

Also I found a shortcut , instead of going to the registry and change the "Hidden" value , I can just select the "Hidden Items" from the Folder View menu ( as you see below ) , which will set the registry "Hidden" value to 1 , so I can see hidden files
    and folders.

Show Hidden Files And Folders Error [​IMG]

"

Hidden is not found.

- SFC Scan

there's no problem according to the scan

- Cmd , attrib –s –h –r /s /d

It didn't show me the program data , some files is still not shown .

so i think the virus is inside the program data (?)

is the virus can harm my laptop ?

Please Help me , thank you

Haandy, Mar 10, 2017
  3. Can't show Hidden files and Folders option

• Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL
    • In the right pane, set CheckedValue to 2
    • Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\NOHIDDEN
    • In the right pane, set CheckedValue to 1
    • Restart your computer
    • Now try to show hidden files in folder options

Mahfud Harun, Mar 10, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

That should open 'File Explorer Options' at its 'View' tab. Either there is a problem opening this, or the Control Panel has an incorrect link to perform this operation. Often a full restart can cure oddities like this, so first do a Restart (don't use Shut down, not if you have fast start enabled).

If the restart doesn't cure this, test that you can still get the options to open by running this command from a command prompt (or use WinKey+R).
    Rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Options_RunDLL 7

(that, and similar commands can be found thanks to @here )

Let us know if that works so we know where to look next.

5. Booms Win User
    Hi,
    I did a restart, and the same thing happened. As soon as I click on Show Hidden Files And Folders, the Control Panel windows closes.
    If I open Windows Explorer, click on View, Options, View...then it lets me select Show Hidden Files And Folders okay.
    Opened a Command Prompt window, typed in the command as suggested, and get a message saying " Rundll32.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Booms, Mar 10, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Well, now we know why Control Panel couldn't open it, that command is the one it would be using too.

Rundll32.exe is a Windows system file and should be found in C:\Windows\System32. This folder is listed in the PATH environment variable so there is no way the system shouldn't be able to find it. Something may have messed with your system, possibly malware. Try scanning with AdwCleaner Malwarebytes | AdwCleaner

If you are malware free, it may be the system has been damage some other way. Try repairing it with the command sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option3

7. Booms Win User
    Ran sfc /scannow. It found some errors and repaired them, and all works okay now.
    Thanks very much for your help. Much appreciated.

Booms, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Show Hidden Files And Folders Error - Similar Threads - Show Hidden Files

2. Hidden folders but not showing under hidden options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hidden folders but not showing under hidden options: HiI am running Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22635.2419 , after 24hrs my folder where I store my videos got deleted and not showing under hidden files .My drive is still being used up by the folder but still cannot see it and doubled checked this on Wiztree application and...
  3. Hidden folders but not showing under hidden options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hidden folders but not showing under hidden options: HiI am running Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22635.2419 , after 24hrs my folder where I store my videos got deleted and not showing under hidden files .My drive is still being used up by the folder but still cannot see it and doubled checked this on Wiztree application and...
  4. Hide files/folder from "Show hidden files"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hide files/folder from "Show hidden files": I want to copy make media file to a usb stick. And use android device to run those media But i dont wanna my file being copy easily So i wanna ask if there is a way to hide file/folder from normal "Show hidden files" setting in file explorer Back to around 2012 i remember...
  5. Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden: Hello,I have a situation where files that are newly added to a hidden folder which is temporarily unhidden so I can access it do not inherit the hidden property of the folder. In other words, the files are not automatically hidden. These files still show up in the Quick...
  6. Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden: Hello,I have a situation where files that are newly added to a hidden folder which is temporarily unhidden so I can access it do not inherit the hidden property of the folder. In other words, the files are not automatically hidden. These files still show up in the Quick...
  7. search for hidden files & folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    search for hidden files & folders: I have studied the "Advanced Query Syntax" document at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965711(v=vs.85).aspx but I cannot find an answer to this question: How do I SEARCH FOR (not just show) folders and files whose properties include as an attribute that the...
  8. Searching hidden files/folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching hidden files/folders: This is what I do: In explorer, browse to C:/Username Start a search there containing a folder name I know is in C:/Username/Appdata/Local The folder does not appear in search Hidden files and folders are marked to be visible everywhere. It seems like recursive search...
  9. Folders and files are showing as hidden after 1803 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders and files are showing as hidden after 1803 update: I have recently updated to win10 1803 and since then my This PC - Quick Access and Libraries folders icons are all greyed out and when I check properties they are showing as hidden. I have so many of them - do I have to change every folder individually? I also seem to have...
  10. Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10: How to: Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10 How to Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10 [img] Information Hidden files, folders, and drives do not show by default in Windows. Windows protected system files (ex: desktop.ini files) are...