Windows 10: Show hints (tooltips) for maximised window in windows 10

Discus and support Show hints (tooltips) for maximised window in windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Some programs I use need to have hints, or tips, shown. A debugger is the most important example for me but for my customers it is the apps I develop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by martincg, Apr 8, 2017.

1. martincg Win User

Show hints (tooltips) for maximised window in windows 10

Some programs I use need to have hints, or tips, shown. A debugger is the most important example for me but for my customers it is the apps I develop. If I maximize a window then hints are turned off as though I'm in tablet mode which I am not.
    It seems as though maximized windows in W10 are treated as though you are in tablet mode.

Anyone know how to get hints t show in a maximized window?

:)

martincg, Apr 8, 2017

2. Windows update - KB3199986 issues - Restore Up & Maximize icon's mouse click & tooltip display issue

Windows 10 update (KB3199986) issue- Restore Up & Maximize icon's tooltip and mouse click is not working properly when window is minimized.

Restore Up icon: When mouse is pointed, it shows tooltip of Maximize and also clicks Maximize icon when clicked on Restore icon.

Maximize icon: It shows tooltip of Close icon and clicks close icon when clicked on Maximize icon.

Close icon: tooltip & mouse click are working fine.

Windows system menu is working fine for Restore/Maximize and close.

Application is working as expected on another Windows 10 machine without KB3199986 update.

The update KB3199986 is not reversible and I'm not sure how to fix this. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Mukeshkumar101, Apr 8, 2017
  3. Tooltips in Notification Tray In Windows 10

So I've noticed that tooltips shows while windows is still starting up, but once everythings full up and running they disappear completely. I did the scannow /sfc. I also notice that microsoft programs have no problems displaying tooltips, like the Microsoft
    Upload Center tooltip always displays fine, but other programs don't. It's like they've changed how tooltips work and don't support legacy tooltips.

PartTimeTechie, Apr 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Are you sure the window in question isn't being treated as 'on top'? (That's a feature you need a 3rd party program to expose as far as I know).

Show hints (tooltips) for maximised window in windows 10 [​IMG]

Show hints (tooltips) for maximised window in windows 10 [​IMG]

Perhaps you can specify the program you're having problems with.

dalchina, Apr 8, 2017
  5. martincg Win User
    Hello dalchina,
    the problem occurs with most programs which I run in Windows 10. Firefox and Thunderbird are exceptions. It is for the program that I write that I particularly want a solution. I have tried maybe 20 PCs so I don't think it's just me or just my PCs.
    I don't understand what you mean by 'keep on top' in connection with this problem. Does that affect hints?
    As I said, the problem only exists for maximized windows.
    It could be that my description of the problem is faulty. What I mean by hints is the text which appears when the mouse hovers over a control. For example, if you hover over a button for a couple of seconds then text will appear near the cursor with information about what the button does.

martincg, Apr 8, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    You mentioned debugging- does this happen in a particular working scenario?
    Tooltips do not appear when debugging

When you say you have tried this on 20 different PCs, is that with just default Windows programs running, or specific development software?

Maybe a screenshot could prompt someone, with a list of running programs.

Also please confirm that if, for example, you boot up your PC, running minimal programs, and with file explorer maximised on My PC, whether you get a tooltip hovering over C:

I.e. that your problem is confined to your debugging environment.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Show hints (tooltips) for maximised window in windows 10 - Similar Threads - Show hints tooltips

2. Windows Terminal tooltip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Terminal tooltip: When hovering on the X button is says "Close tab CTRL + F4" but when I do that it does not close tabs. CTRL + W also not working.imagine if microsoft didn't add the close tab using keyboard feature but add the tooltip to the X button that is not working...
  3. Yellow tooltips in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Yellow tooltips in Windows 10: So I have a copy of windows 10 and for some reason, the tooltips are suddenly yellow instead of white, how do I make the tooltips white again?I noticed this when i hovered over the close button and saw that it was yellowThis is what the toolitps look like:...
  4. Yellow tooltips in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Yellow tooltips in Windows 10: So I have a copy of windows 10 and for some reason, the tooltips are suddenly yellow instead of white, how do I make the tooltips white again?I noticed this when i hovered over the close button and saw that it was yellowThis is what the toolitps look like:...
  5. Yellow tooltips in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Yellow tooltips in Windows 10: So I have a copy of windows 10 and for some reason, the tooltips are suddenly yellow instead of white, how do I make the tooltips white again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/yellow-tooltips-in-windows-10/314fb29d-6c59-4a00-81a5-3c06cbe6f94a
  6. Password Hint not showing windows 10, local account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Hint not showing windows 10, local account: Hi all, got a massive problem, i have scanned through the forums and cannot find anything. I set my sisters laptop up with my Microsoft account because I had to as she didn't have one? but i didn't want it to be kept on there so i switched it over to a local account and...
  7. Tooltips showing too long on Windows 10 taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tooltips showing too long on Windows 10 taskbar: On my laptop, which I just reinstalled with 1909, when I hover over an icon, and move it away about .3 seconds later, the tooltip shows up after I move the mouse away, and stays there for a few seconds. It's pretty annoying. Anyone know how to disable that? On my other PC, it...
  8. Windows 10 Password Hint

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Password Hint: How do I reset windows 10 using the password hint? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-password-hint/74ceec42-e0ba-4902-9577-a5ceabdbad6f
  9. Tooltips not showing in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Tooltips not showing in Chrome: For a while now I've noticed that Chrome isn't showing tooltips anywhere. Either when hovering over links or images. I am not sure what's preventing them from showing. 37273
  10. system tray tooltips don't show in windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    system tray tooltips don't show in windows 10: Hi, On previous Windows installations I used to roll the mouse pointer over the system tray icons in order to show tooltips like the % level of battery or the volume of the speakers. I also used to left-click in order to change the volume but now after upgrading to win10,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. W10 tooltip show

2. windows 10 tooltip show

3. show tool tips win 10