Windows 10: Show Junctions in File Explorer?

Discus and support Show Junctions in File Explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a way for Windows Explorer to differentiate between a junction and the actual data pointed to by the junction? Also, it appears that both the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmosier1, Feb 5, 2021.

1. mmosier1 Win User

Show Junctions in File Explorer?

Is there a way for Windows Explorer to differentiate between a junction and the actual data pointed to by the junction?

Also, it appears that both the junction and actual data location both show storage being used for the files. Is there a way for the junction location to show actual free space available?

Example... I created a junction to free up space on my c: drive pointing to my d: drive with data moved to d:. Both c: and d: show all the folders and files as using up space.

Thanks

Mike

:)

mmosier1, Feb 5, 2021
  2. harrymc Win User

7zip force ignore NTFS junctions

I would suggest to go in two steps :

1. Generate a list of all the junctions in the folder
    2. Create a 7Zip archive from the folder while excluding the files in the list.

For the first step, you may use the following command in a Command Prompt :

Where :

• /A displays all files with a specific attribute, and L specifies reparse points (symlinks and directory junctions)
    • /S makes the command recursive
    • /B specifies the bare format of only file names.

When zipping the folder use the
    -x (Exclude filenames) switch :

harrymc, Feb 5, 2021
  3. GDavid Win User
    Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose.
    Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage...

An application (Xperia Companion) which will not let me select or personalise the location for saving backups of my cellular phone data...

Think I found a fair definition of the differences at the Computer hope site which would suggest it's a Junction I need:
    I want Xperia companion to save backups to F:\Sony Backups NOT the default C:\Users\GD\Documents\Sony. Would the Junction (link) allow me to to fulfill my wants and could someone please demonstrate the mklink commands needed?

with thanks and regards,
    Dave

GDavid, Feb 5, 2021
  4. Show Junctions in File Explorer?

Clear the 'cache' in file explorer for already used picture tags?

If you set some tags for your *.jpg pictures, the windows 10 file explorer shows them in the "details pane" on the right side.

Show Junctions in File Explorer? [​IMG]

This list can get very long and with some wrong or no longer used entries.
    How can I clear this list / cache / suggestions?

Or how can I stop the file explorer to suggests already used Tags?

WTenNewbie, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

Show Junctions in File Explorer?

1. Show Junctions in File Explorer? - Similar Threads - Show Junctions File

2. Notepad files not showing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad files not showing in file explorer: Hi,I went to look for a Notepad file in one of my folders one that I use regularly but couldn't see it. I had to search for it, and when I opened it and checked the path, it was exactly where I thought it was. I copied the address where I wanted to save it and tried Save As,...
  3. Notepad files not showing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad files not showing in file explorer: Hi,I went to look for a Notepad file in one of my folders one that I use regularly but couldn't see it. I had to search for it, and when I opened it and checked the path, it was exactly where I thought it was. I copied the address where I wanted to save it and tried Save As,...
  4. Windows is not showing the explorer files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows is not showing the explorer files: Hello I have an issue that started yesterday. I check my computer and everything is up to date and nothing needed to be updated.I can't see other files which I need so I cannot reinstall windows. Restarting won't work....
  5. Files not showing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files not showing in file explorer: I first noticed the problem while trying to transfer files from a new tablet onto my laptop via USB. I could see the folders and open the folders, but none of the files showed up. I couldn't find helpful info on how to solve that, so I saved the files to my Google Drive and...
  6. Files not showing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files not showing in file explorer: I first noticed the problem while trying to transfer files from a new tablet onto my laptop via USB. I could see the folders and open the folders, but none of the files showed up. I couldn't find helpful info on how to solve that, so I saved the files to my Google Drive and...
  7. Files not showing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File Explorer Not Showing Files

File Explorer Not Showing Files: Okay, so first, a while ago, I was using my PC, and I tried to go into my Downloads folder. It started loading, but it never actually loaded. Restart, everything's fine. Did that a few more times, until today. Now, when I open File Explorer, it shows this: [ATTACH] And the...
  9. File Explorer will not show "recent files"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer will not show "recent files": I have had this problem: that File Explorer will not show "recent files" on Windows 10 for a long time. I have Googled and searched for answers on here and elsewhere and cannot find a solution. I know it's supposed to show these files. How can I fix this?...
  10. Files not showing up with File Explorer

Files not showing up with File Explorer: I open File Explorer to find a file that I knew had been created at the end of March 2019. I went to the location that I was sure I had saved it to. It did not show up. I opened up a separate File Explorer and searched my entire C drive and there were the file that I was...