Windows 10: "Show shadows under windows" setting - not saving

Discus and support "Show shadows under windows" setting - not saving in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; [ATTACH] When I disable the above setting it is applied and working as expected until a restart or log off - then it is checked (on) again. I have no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ekeda, Apr 30, 2019.

1. ekeda Win User

"Show shadows under windows" setting - not saving

"Show shadows under windows" setting - not saving show-shadows-under-windows.png

When I disable the above setting it is applied and working as expected until a restart or log off - then it is checked (on) again. I have no idea whether this is some default Windows bug or something that is happening on my end due to my numerous customizations.

Can someone confirm that he uses Windows 10 with "show shadows under windows" setting not checked and this is always applied?

Also, are there ways to fast disable this option without going to the "Performance options" window (or invoke the window with a shortcut somehow)?

:)

ekeda, Apr 30, 2019

2. shadows not working on desktop (windows and mouse pointer)

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• When you say Shadows are you referring to drop shadows?
    • Were you able to get this shadows just after upgrade to Windows 10? If yes, were there any significant software or hardware changes made after that?

Drop shadow is a visual effect consisting of drawing that looks like the shadow of an object, giving the impression that the object is raised above the objects behind it.

Method 1:

If you have not tried the following steps you may check if it helps.

• • Open Control Panel and click System and security.

• Click on system.

• Click on Advanced system settings.

• Go to Advanced Tab.

• Select performance.

• Click settings.

• Check “Show shadows under windows” and click OK.

Method 2:

If the above method does not help, I would suggest you to try different background themes and check if it helps.

I hope the above information helps. If not, please get back to us with the updated status. We will be happy to assist you further.

Mann_Manohar, Apr 30, 2019
  3. Drop Shadows on Desktop

I want to eliminate the drop shadows on the text under the icons on my desktop. I used the following procedure that hasn't worked:

- Control Panel, System

- Advanced system settings

- Advanced tab, Performance, Settings

- Unchecked "Save task bar thumbnail previews", "Show shadows under mouse pointer", "Show shadows under windows", and "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"

The drop shadows are still there. How do I get rid of them?

BeverlyHedberg, Apr 30, 2019
  4. "Show shadows under windows" setting - not saving

Drop shadow for desktop icon text font keeps coming back

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query In Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

Method: 1

The drop shadows on applications in the Windows 10 really big and suspiciously similar to the ones in OS X, and if they aren’t your speed, you can easily remove them. We actually think they look good, but since somebody out there won’t like them, here is
    how to disable them.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to Disable drop shadows.

• Alternatively you can use the Start Menu and search for “advanced system settings” and click on that item.
    • Go to the advanced tab and click the Settings
      button under Performance.
    • Find and uncheck “Show shadows under windows” and click
      Apply or OK
    • The drop shadows will immediately be removed.
    • As soon as you do, all drop shadow effects will be disabled, giving you a truly flat user interface.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Apr 30, 2019
Thema:

"Show shadows under windows" setting - not saving

1. "Show shadows under windows" setting - not saving - Similar Threads - Show shadows under

2. Remove Shadow Under Icon Text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove Shadow Under Icon Text: Remove Shadow Under Icon Text .I have tried going into the System properties... then Visual effects, and unchecking the box for "Use drop shadows for icons... " It does NOT work. Can someone please help me with this?...
  3. Disappearing shadow under icon text.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disappearing shadow under icon text.: On Windows Server 2019, after setting a white wallpaper, I have a problem with shadows under the icon text. When hovering the mouse cursor the shadow disappears. The icon text stays white and is invisible. I have several RDS servers clones and the problem is random not on...
  4. Disappearing shadow under icon text.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disappearing shadow under icon text.: On Windows Server 2019, after setting a white wallpaper, I have a problem with shadows under the icon text. When hovering the mouse cursor the shadow disappears. The icon text stays white and is invisible. I have several RDS servers clones and the problem is random not on...
  5. Help determining setting causing "Show shadows under windows" to break in one account and...

Help determining setting causing "Show shadows under windows" to break in one account and...: I have two logins for Windows 10, both enabled "Show shadows under windows" in "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows" One of them works, the other one doesn't, I can't identify the difference in settings or programs between them. I tried a clean boot into the...
  6. Show shadows under windows, but not menus

Show shadows under windows, but not menus: I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'll bite anyway: Is there a possibility to have shadows under windows (as per the checkbox in the Advanced System Settings), but not menus? Is there a registry hack or utility that will allow for such an option? [img]...
  7. Show shadows under windows, but not menus

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Show shadows under windows, but not menus: I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'll bite anyway: Is there a possibility to have shadows under windows (as per the checkbox in the Advanced System Settings), but not menus? Is there a registry hack or utility that will allow for such an option? [img]...
  8. Unable to Remove Shadows Under Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Remove Shadows Under Windows: In Windows 10 v.1909 [build 18363.657] I want to remove the shadows under windows. Unfortunately, the simple method that involves unchecking a box in Control Panel doesn't work. In addition, going to this registry key: HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version...
  9. Vanishing shadows under windows (Windows 10)

Vanishing shadows under windows (Windows 10): A problem many people have referred to is the white frame of the selected explorer window which makes it indistinguisheable from white backgrounds. The usually recommended solution is to specify a frame color. Unfortunately, this changes also the color of the title bar, which...
  10. "Show shadows under windows" option keeps getting unchecked

"Show shadows under windows" option keeps getting unchecked: I need to have the shadows under windows. In Systems Properties-> Advanced Tab -> Performance -> settings -> there is a checkbox "Show shadows under windows". Whenever I check this option (under Custom), the shadows appears as intended but after a few minutes they are gone...