Windows 10: Show the touch keyboard "when no keyboard attached" - issue

Discus and support Show the touch keyboard "when no keyboard attached" - issue in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,I own Microsoft Surface Pro 7 with a detachable keyboard original Microsoft products running on Windows 11Since the last update I have an issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Aleksandar Milosavljevic, Jun 11, 2024.

1. Show the touch keyboard "when no keyboard attached" - issue

Hello,I own Microsoft Surface Pro 7 with a detachable keyboard original Microsoft products running on Windows 11Since the last update I have an issue with one setting that does not work as intended. It used to work properly for the past 3 years since I own this device.I almost always have the physical keyboard attached, and I don't need to have the touch keyboard appear whenever I touch the screen for example if I want to choose something from the drop down menu, or press on a text box. Since the last update the touch keyboard started appearing whenever I touch the screen even when my keyb

:)

Aleksandar Milosavljevic, Jun 11, 2024

2. Windows 11 "Show the touch keyboard when there's no keyboard attached" no longer observed.

Hardware: Surface Go 2

Software: Windows 11 (22H2 OS Build 22621.963)

Issue:

After the Windows 11 22H2 update, the setting under "Settings" > "Time & Language" > "Typing" > "Touch Keyboard" > "Show the touch keyboard when there's no keyboard attached" is no longer being observed.

Symptom:

When the setting is turned off, and tapping on the screen the tablet keyboard comes up.

Scenarios:

1. With Surface Go 2 keyboard attached.
      1. Tapping on the screen in a document doesn't bring up the tablet keyboard. (Expected Behavior)
    2. Without Surface Go 2 keyboard attached.
      1. Tapping on a document brings up the keyboard. (Not expected behavior)
    3. Using a 2.4Ghz Keyboard with USB dongle.
      1. Tapping on document brings up tablet screen keyboard. (Not expected since there is a keyboard attached via USB).
    4. Using a wired keyboard via USB.
      1. Tapping on document brings up tablet screen keyboard. (Not expected)

Thomas_Lowry, Jun 11, 2024
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Add the Touch Keyboard Icon to the Action Center

Hi Doug,

Adding the touch keyboard on the items in Action Center is currently not available in Windows 10. However, you can change the settings to automatically show the touch keyboard when you use the device in tablet mode. If you'd like to do this, you can
    follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Open Settings.
    • Select Devices.
    • Go to Typing.
    • Under Touch keyboard settings, switch on Automatically show the touch keyboard in windowed apps when there’s no keyboard attached to your device.

If you want to provide a feedback or suggestion to Microsoft to have the touch keyboard available in Action Center, you can post it
    here.

Let us know if the suggestion above works for you.

Keep us posted.

Ruz San, Jun 11, 2024
  4. Show the touch keyboard "when no keyboard attached" - issue

Use touch screen keyboard when manual keyboard is attached

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to using Touch Keyboard when the Manual Keyboard is attached.

Ideally, you can use the Touch Keyboard even when you are not on Tablet Mode. Kindly follow the steps mentioned below to enable Touch Keyboard.

1. Right click on an empty space on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Now click on the option Show Touch
      Keyboard

Once you select the option you should be able to see the Touch Keyboard icon on the Taskbar. Refer the screenshot below:

Show the touch keyboard "when no keyboard attached" - issue 88ff3809-8893-445d-ac7d-cdd6a91a67a8?upload=true.png

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 11, 2024
Thema:

Show the touch keyboard "when no keyboard attached" - issue

1. Show the touch keyboard "when no keyboard attached" - issue - Similar Threads - Show touch keyboard

2. Show the touch keyboard "when no keyboard attached" - issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show the touch keyboard "when no keyboard attached" - issue: Hello,I own Microsoft Surface Pro 7 with a detachable keyboard original Microsoft products running on Windows 11Since the last update I have an issue with one setting that does not work as intended. It used to work properly for the past 3 years since I own this device.I...
  3. How to switch from touch screen to attached keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch from touch screen to attached keyboard: how to switch from touch screen keyboard to external attached keyboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-switch-from-touch-screen-to-attached/16dd0288-d9d5-4e6d-af2d-4c1dac47733f
  4. How to switch from touch screen to attached keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to switch from touch screen to attached keyboard: how to switch from touch screen keyboard to external attached keyboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-switch-from-touch-screen-to-attached/16dd0288-d9d5-4e6d-af2d-4c1dac47733f
  5. Touch keyboard doesn't show up when set it to "when no keyboard attached"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touch keyboard doesn't show up when set it to "when no keyboard attached": I use my surface book 3 as a tablet sometimes and found the touch keyboard wouldn't pop up automatically when I tap on text fields. I have to open it manually from the taskbar. Another way to make this work is to change "show the touch keyboard" to "always", but I don't want...
  6. Touch keyboard doesn't show up when set it to "when no keyboard attached"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touch keyboard doesn't show up when set it to "when no keyboard attached": I use my surface book 3 as a tablet sometimes and found the touch keyboard wouldn't pop up automatically when I tap on text fields. I have to open it manually from the taskbar. Another way to make this work is to change "show the touch keyboard" to "always", but I don't want...
  7. Windows 11 "Show the touch keyboard when there's no keyboard attached" no longer observed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 "Show the touch keyboard when there's no keyboard attached" no longer observed.: Hardware: Surface Go 2Software: Windows 11 22H2 OS Build 22621.963Issue:After the Windows 11 22H2 update, the setting under "Settings" > "Time & Language" > "Typing" > "Touch Keyboard" > "Show the touch keyboard when there's no keyboard attached" is no longer being...
  8. Windows 11 "Show the touch keyboard when there's no keyboard attached" no longer observed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 "Show the touch keyboard when there's no keyboard attached" no longer observed.: Hardware: Surface Go 2Software: Windows 11 22H2 OS Build 22621.963Issue:After the Windows 11 22H2 update, the setting under "Settings" > "Time & Language" > "Typing" > "Touch Keyboard" > "Show the touch keyboard when there's no keyboard attached" is no longer being...
  9. Invisible Touch Keyboard/other keyboard issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Invisible Touch Keyboard/other keyboard issues: I have a Lenovo Yoga 920, and recently I have been having a few issues with the on-screen touch keyboard. Firstly, when trying to call up the keyboard it often displays only the shadow effect around where the keyboard should be, but not the actual keyboard. This occurs...
  10. Keyboard and touch pad issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard and touch pad issue: I have HP x360 laptop with Windows 10 on it. The problem is my keyboard and touch pad only works in BIOS mode but not when Windows get loaded. I have tried installing different OS too (Windows 7, Windows 8) but the problem still persists. During hardware tests, the keyboard...