Windows 10: Show tiles when deleting search string in start menu

Discus and support Show tiles when deleting search string in start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a way to show again the menu tiles after going in the search mode? EXPECTED: When I delete my search string I automatically go back to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TonySamperi, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Show tiles when deleting search string in start menu

Is there a way to show again the menu tiles after going in the search mode?

EXPECTED: When I delete my search string I automatically go back to the start menu

ACTUAL: When I delete my search string I get a message "type something to start searching".

So I have to close the menu and open it again.

:)

TonySamperi, Oct 25, 2018
  2. Yvonne Win User

Applications still showing on Start menu after powershell deletion

Hi,

I've used powershell to remove some apps (like Xbox games).

On one account, it cleaned up the start menu just fine.

Second account, they were showing on the start menu, so I ran powershell again and verified everything was gone that I wanted, but Xbox is still showing on the menu list. *Not* as a tile, but in the "All Apps" list. I have also tried looking at the Start Menu in File Explorer for that User and can not see the App listed.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Yvonne, Oct 25, 2018
  3. How can I add shortcuts to the Windows 10 start menu so that the search finds them (NOT as a tile)?

I have a program, the program does not have a start menu shortcut because of reasons that are not important to the question. I want to add a shortcut, so that I can open the start menu, type the programs name, hit enter, and it launches. I already tried
    the following:

• Rightlick program.exe -> Pin to Start Menu
      • Results in a Tile and no result when typing the programs name
    • Create a Shortcut at "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"
      • Results in a Tile and no result when typing the programs name
      • According to many posts here and in different places, this should have worked, but for whatever reasons, it did not.
      • "Unpin from start" deletes the shortcut
    • Create shortcut at "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"
      • same as above, only adds a Tile
    • Many Versions of Drag & Drop onto the Start Menu
      • Did nothing, according to posts here and in different places, this feature was removed.
    I can see several shortcuts in the places from 2. and 3., that show up in the list on the left and the search, but not as a Tile, so it has to be possible! Do I need to edit the registry to get the shortcut to show up in the list and not as a Tile (or both,
    I do not care about the Tile)?

Note: Cortana is disabled on my Computer via Group Policy, so the start menu search is NOT using Cortana. Just in case this is in any way related.

Benjamin Siegmund, Oct 25, 2018
  4. Show tiles when deleting search string in start menu

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

Show tiles when deleting search string in start menu

1. Show tiles when deleting search string in start menu - Similar Threads - Show tiles deleting

2. Deleted apps still showing in the Start Menu Search.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted apps still showing in the Start Menu Search.: Hi,So I recently decided to reset all the settings on my pc using the 'Reset This PC' option in the settings. Now every time I try and search something if it starts with the letters of apps that were previously installed on my system before resetting it they will still show...
  3. Deleted apps still showing in the Start Menu Search.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted apps still showing in the Start Menu Search.: Hi,So I recently decided to reset all the settings on my pc using the 'Reset This PC' option in the settings. Now every time I try and search something if it starts with the letters of apps that were previously installed on my system before resetting it they will still show...
  4. Deleted apps still showing in the Start Menu Search.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unable to delete the tiles in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete the tiles in Start Menu: Trying to delete the Settings and Microsoft Store. But cannot delete it. Only these three options are there. Could not remove it from here. Both for Settings icon and Microsoft Store. Is there a PS script that could do this. I have checked the group policy to see that did I...
  6. Unable to delete the tiles in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to delete the tiles in Start Menu: Trying to delete the Settings and Microsoft Store. But cannot delete it. Only these three options are there. Could not remove it from here. Both for Settings icon and Microsoft Store. Is there a PS script that could do this. I have checked the group policy to see that did I...
  7. Unable to delete the tiles in Start Menu

8. Start menu shows deleted programs when I search

Start menu shows deleted programs when I search: I read the other entries and I tried to delete icons or folders from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but the program is not In there. You can see the search view below, I cannot click on the program, cannot right-click, cannot open and etc. This is just...
  9. start menu not showing tiles

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    start menu not showing tiles: start menu not showing tiles https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-not-showing-tiles/21e7436d-100f-4d21-aa5d-0d3ea3f2dd29
  10. Start menu tiles

Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...