Windows 10: Show windows content while dragging checked, but not functioning

Discus and support Show windows content while dragging checked, but not functioning in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every day I come back to my work pc and unlock the screen I notice the window content is just a black frame (like the old Windows 3.1 days) when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kjstech, May 9, 2016.

1. kjstech Win User

Show windows content while dragging checked, but not functioning

Every day I come back to my work pc and unlock the screen I notice the window content is just a black frame (like the old Windows 3.1 days) when dragging them around.

I go into advanced system properties and settings under the performance tab and everything is already checked for best appearance, which includes show windows content while dragging. All I do is uncheck and recheck it so the apply button lights up, then apply the change and everything is back to normal.

Rather than go into these menus, do you know of a command line that achieves the same thing? I could just put it as a desktop shortcut I could double click every day.

Thanks!

:)

kjstech, May 9, 2016
  2. MnetroM Win User

Part of Windows store app window become transparent after resizing

In my case, the culprit was the performance option "Show window contents while dragging". Unchecking that option solved my problem (which was identical to that of OP).

MnetroM, May 9, 2016
  3. Arul_D Win User
    "show window contents while dragging" reset automatically !!!

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to perform a clean boot and check. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided
    link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Arul_D, May 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, can you try using the 'Custom' setting in that dialogue?

There will be a way of doing that with a fairly simple script using Autohotkey.
    Maybe there's a Powershell command... needs someone familiar with that.

Meanwhile see if the same happens
    a. in Safe Mode
    b. after a clean boot
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

c. Download and install Shellexview (free). Run it, hide all MS extensions, disable all others.
    If any effect, identify cause by progressively enabling them.
    Note: there's a 32 bit option in Options which reveals more extensions.

dalchina, May 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Show windows content while dragging checked, but not functioning - Similar Threads - Show content while

2. Cannot show protected content while streaming display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot show protected content while streaming display: I recently got a galaxy tab s6 lite and am trying to display my monitor contents on it for the purposes of making digital art. I connect the S6 as a wireless display, and my desktop DOES show up, but non of the thumbnails on my desktop are visible, and whenever I try to open...
  3. Cannot show protected content while streaming display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot show protected content while streaming display: I recently got a galaxy tab s6 lite and am trying to display my monitor contents on it for the purposes of making digital art. I connect the S6 as a wireless display, and my desktop DOES show up, but non of the thumbnails on my desktop are visible, and whenever I try to open...
  4. DragFullWindows - Show Window Contents While Dragging does not work

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    DragFullWindows - Show Window Contents While Dragging does not work: Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it? No matter what I do, I cannot get the "Show window contents while dragging" feature to work in my Windows 10 environment. I have replaced the video card, updated drivers, fully cleaned drivers and re-installed, etc. I...
  5. Windows 10 drag and drop not functioning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 drag and drop not functioning: Windows 10m drag and drop not functioning https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-drag-and-drop-not-functioning/fda8bfb6-6b8e-4e3c-97f1-a2fd0b587a80
  6. See a window while dragging that window.

in Windows 10 Customization
    See a window while dragging that window.: When I grab a window to drag it somewhere else on my desktop, I cannot see the window while I am dragging it. I am using Windows 10, fully updated. Also, does whatever I do to set this setting get undone during an update or when I change a different setting that should be...
  7. Drag function not working for anything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drag function not working for anything: This is getting to be incredibly frustrating. The drag function does not work for literally anything. Want to make a photo bigger in word? Have to manually type it in. Want to pull a tab out to make a new window? HAHA you can't! Want to pull a file on to your desktop, well...
  8. Show windows contents while dragging:

in Windows 10 Support
    Show windows contents while dragging:: Every few days I have to go into System Properties > Advanced > Performance > Settings and click Adjust for best appearance (even though it is already selected) then OK out of all of these dialog boxes. If I don't do this the windows are just wireframes like back in Windows...
  9. Show Windows Contents While Dragging

in Windows 10 Support
    Show Windows Contents While Dragging: Every time I reboot my computer, the option called Show Windows Contents While Dragging in the Appearance and Visual Effects keeps being disabled. I have to keep enabling every time and it is frustrating. 17144
  10. Turn On or Off Show window contents while dragging in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Show window contents while dragging in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Show window contents while dragging in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Show window contents while dragging in Windows 10 [img] Information You can set Windows 10 to show either the contents or outline of a window while you drag the window or...