Windows 10: Showing Documents folder name in backup

Discus and support Showing Documents folder name in backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am running the Cobian backup program. I set it to back up the Documents directory. It give it a file name "Documents 2017-06-04 15;42;51 (Full)"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dae, Jun 6, 2017.

1. DAE
    dae Win User

Showing Documents folder name in backup

I am running the Cobian backup program. I set it to back up the Documents directory. It give it a file name

"Documents 2017-06-04 15;42;51 (Full)"

which appears that way when looked at through Powershell and through alternative file managers.

Showing Documents folder name in backup [​IMG]

Powershell

FreeCommander

However, when I look at it through File Explorer, it masks the real file name. Instead it shows the Documents icon and the word "Documents", just the same as in the C directory under my user name.

Windows File Explorer (viewing backup drive)

If I run additional backups on later dates, the real folder name will show the date as part of the title, but in File Explorer it shows just the word "Documents", so I end up with numerous folders all appearing as "Documents" without any way of determining which is the oldest, which is the newest backup copy.

How do I make the the directory on the backup drive show the real file name of the backup folder, "Documents 2017-06-04 15;42;51 (Full)" , as it appears in Powershell, instead of "Documents?

The backup program accesses the folder using the full path c:\Users\\Documents

:)

2. Bill723 Win User

Backup errors

While backing up files using Backup and Restore (Windows 7) on my Windows 10 laptop, I am getting the message that Backup finished but some files were skipped. The error is: "The system cannot find the path specified. (0x80070003)". There were 9 such
    errors reported. I don't know how long this has been happening since I have not tried to backup for some time prior to this. In the past, Backup has finished with no errors.

In the first case, the file name is of the form: C:\users\<user name>\Documents\Move to Laptop\...\name1. When I look in File Explorer in the left panel and expand the Documents sub-folder, there is no sub-folder with the name "Move to Laptop" in either the
    left or right panel. I did this for "C:\users\<user name>\Documents", "This PC > Documents", and "Libraries > Documents". I searched in the Documents folder for name1. It found one folder with name1 but the path-name was "C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\...\name1"
    and this folder was empty.

I am also getting another path showing backup errors: "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\TempDocsFolder\...\name2". When I expand "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile" in the left panel of file explorer there is no sub-folder named TempDocsFolder
    in the right panel and a search of the systemprofile folder returns nothing. When I search C: for "TempDocsFolder" it has the path name "C:\users\<user name>\TempDocsFolder" and is not included in Libraries. Also when I search in the TempDocsFolder for name2
    there are three instances of a folder with this name. The first has the path name "C:\Users\<user name>\TempDocsFolder\Documents\name2". However there is no "Documents" sub-folder in TempDocsFolder when I look for it in Explorer in the conventional way. The
    second instance for this folder name has the path "C:\Users\<user name>\TempDocsFolder\Documents\Scanned Documents\name2". The same is true for this case, since there is no "Documents" sub-folder. The third instance has the path "C:\Users\<user name>\TempDocsFolder\Documents\Move
    to Laptop Documents\Scanned Documents\name2". Again this folder cannot be found in the conventional way by expanding/opening folders and sub-folders in Explorer.

This behavior raises several questions:

1) Is the Library tree structure corrupted? If so how to fix it?

2) Is the C: drive corrupted? Note, chkdsk C: /f returns no errors.

3) Is there possibly a Backup bug or a disk read error as Backup is going through the approximately 250 GB of data? Note that the error occurs consistently with subsequent Backups with the same settings.

4) Why is Backup trying to backup TempDocsFolder when it is not selected and is not among the Library folders?

Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Bill723, Jun 6, 2017
  3. Lost Excel Files

I always make periodic backups of my sync folder. The default location for this folder is C:Users\<user-name>\Documents\Documents on <device-name>

Laura

Laura Rooke, Jun 6, 2017
  4. Showing Documents folder name in backup

Hi dae

I think there is some confusion / translation as it is using the Windows name. (Either the link or Junction point, its special)

Looks like Music and Videos have the same issue.

So when you use the Windows tool it is mis-handling.

For a test, can you override the name and call it Docs, date (full).

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 7, 2017
Thema:

Showing Documents folder name in backup

1. Showing Documents folder name in backup - Similar Threads - Showing Documents folder

2. Change name of My Documents Folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change name of My Documents Folder.: To,Microsoft CommunityHey Friend, this is Gavin Mathos here & using Windows 11 Version 22H2 OS. Currently If you seen the My Desktop there is a Folder "My Documents". The Name of My Documents on Desktop is shown "Gavin" while in Properties its shown as "Dell" {As shown...
  3. Change name of My Documents Folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change name of My Documents Folder.: To,Microsoft CommunityHey Friend, this is Gavin Mathos here & using Windows 11 Version 22H2 OS. Currently If you seen the My Desktop there is a Folder "My Documents". The Name of My Documents on Desktop is shown "Gavin" while in Properties its shown as "Dell" {As shown...
  4. There is no files are showing in document folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is no files are showing in document folder: After an undate files are not showing in document folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-no-files-are-showing-in-document-folder/df2a9a71-108b-46ca-ae60-89e022bed490
  5. There is no files are showing in document folder

There is no files are showing in document folder: After an undate files are not showing in document folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-no-files-are-showing-in-document-folder/df2a9a71-108b-46ca-ae60-89e022bed490
  6. Files in folder "Documents" C:\Users\NAME\Documents disappeared / folder empty

Files in folder "Documents" C:\Users\NAME\Documents disappeared / folder empty: Hello to everyone, I'd really be grateful for any help on this issue - thank you very much!The problem:Two days ago, while my laptop was running i.e. not after a Windows Update reboot, all files in all subfolders located in C:\Users\NAME\Documents have disappeared "This...
  7. Document folder name Discrepancy

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Document folder name Discrepancy: When setting up onedrive on my new computer, It started syncing and downloading all the files in our onedrive cloud, including those from other directories that we created using our web browser. I eventually stopped the sync and disabled/deleted onedrive, but now when I try...
  8. Documents folder name change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder name change: I accidently changed the name of the Documents folder to D: trying to redirect its location to my D:Data drive. Does anyone know how I can change it back to Documents?...
  9. Document folder is showing twice.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Document folder is showing twice.: [ATTACH] I tried googling how to fix but the problem still persists. Any idea how to fix it? I'm sorry if this is not the sub for this but I can't get help anywhere else. submitted by /u/KnowledgeFire11 [link] [comments]...
  10. Documents folder name in chinese letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Documents folder name in chinese letters: Hello! i bought a surface pro m3, 2017 i belive. Finished set up and now i went into the libraries folder and noticed theres no documents folder but in its place a chinese characters folder with the documents icon, there is anothe but dont know what folder it is. Set up,...