Windows 10: Showing the "Linux" folder on the file explorer navigation panel for WSL2

Discus and support Showing the "Linux" folder on the file explorer navigation panel for WSL2 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; One of the features that was released on the 2019 and May 2020 updates was having easy access to WSL system folders from the file explorer. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by _Egoist, Jun 4, 2020.

1. _Egoist Win User

Showing the "Linux" folder on the file explorer navigation panel for WSL2

One of the features that was released on the 2019 and May 2020 updates was having easy access to WSL system folders from the file explorer.

After having a fresh install, the "Linux" folder on the navigation panel is no longer available for me even though it was listed on the features of the new update. Of course it's possible to create a shortcut to the location of the WSL folder, but having an organized Linux folder for the different subsystems pinned is more ideal.

Is there any possible way to enable that feature again? I have tried adding the registry key, but it seems like WSL2 have a different value.

:)

_Egoist, Jun 4, 2020

2. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Thank you in advance to everyone for your help and time. Hopefully this write-up is succinct. Showing the "Linux" folder on the file explorer navigation panel for WSL2 :)
    I believe there has to be additional registry modifications to solve this issue.

Problem:
    In the Navigation Pane, specifically regarding the Current User folder tree, a Personal Folder (i.e. 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, etc... ) continues to show even after making active the Hidden property for that Personal Folder.

Expected Results:
    Any Personal Folder that is marked "Hidden" in the File/Folder Listings Area should also be hidden in the Navigation Pane specifically within the Current User folder tree.

Steps to recreate the issue: (the following steps assume that the option is deactivated to see hidden folders.)
    1. Open File Explorer
    2. Within Navigation Pane, Right-click over any blank area
    3. Select menu-option "Show All Folders"
    4. Select and Expand the Current User folder tree which is listed as a child object to the "Desktop" folder
    5. Within the File/Folder Listings Area, Right-click on a Personal Folder
    6. Select menu-option "Properties"
    7. Within the new Dialogue window, Select the "General" tab, Select to Activate the Attribute "Hidden", Select the "OK" button
    8. Close File Explorer and then Open File Explorer
    9. Select the Current User folder in the Navigation Pane
    10. Notice the recently-hidden folder is still showing in the Navigation Pane even though it is hidden in the File/Folder Listings Area.

System Specs:
    • Edition: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    • Version: 1709
    • OS Build: 16299.371
    • Hard Drives: 2 (SSD & Mechanical)
    • C:\ = SSD
    • D:\ = Mechanical

Current Modifications of System:
    • The %UserProfile% system folder was successfully transferred to D:\ by using Sysprep during Windows Setup. This is the only system folder moved to another drive.

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Navigation Pane: (using Regedit)
    • Hidden = Quick Access
    • Hidden = Libraries
    • Hidden = OneDrive
    • Hidden = Homegroup
    • Hidden = This PC user personal folders

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Folder/File Listing Area:
    • Each unwanted Personal Folder was changed to "Hidden" by Right-clicking the folder and Checking the Attribute checkbox marked "Hidden".

3rd-Party Software Installed:

• Classic Shell
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • IObit Driver Booster
    • Macrium Reflect

TechGuy737, Jun 4, 2020
  3. Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)

Can anybody know when ''Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)''
    is expected to launch?

Debabrata Ganguly, Jun 4, 2020
  4. Showing the "Linux" folder on the file explorer navigation panel for WSL2

File Explorer navigation pane sometimes expands to show all folders and sometimes consolidates shows only the selected folder

Both the folders that expand fully and those that partially expand have exactly the same settings, which are as you suggested, so this didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas?

Bruce Needham, Jun 4, 2020
Thema:

Showing the "Linux" folder on the file explorer navigation panel for WSL2

1. Showing the "Linux" folder on the file explorer navigation panel for WSL2 - Similar Threads - Showing Linux folder

2. Show all folders in navigation panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show all folders in navigation panel: Why do i have to "show all folders" in the navigation panel to get my drop down arrows to see sub folder. The screen looks better without all folders showing. Is it possible to expand folders without showing all folders? I have no drop down arrows when not showing all...
  3. Show all folders in navigation panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show all folders in navigation panel: Why do i have to "show all folders" in the navigation panel to get my drop down arrows to see sub folder. The screen looks better without all folders showing. Is it possible to expand folders without showing all folders? I have no drop down arrows when not showing all...
  4. some of the folders in the navigation pane of file explorer not show an icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    some of the folders in the navigation pane of file explorer not show an icon: some of the folders in the navigation pane of file explorer not show an icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-of-the-folders-in-the-navigation-pane-of-file/e8b967c0-66c1-4450-9da9-d44426e6e2e5
  5. How to expand folder in Quick Access in the Navigation Panel in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to expand folder in Quick Access in the Navigation Panel in File Explorer?: I can't expand files pinned to 'Quick access'.In the navigation panel of file explorer I am struggling to find a way to make all 'Quick Access' folders expandable on my new computer with Windows 11. I am able to expand the quick access pinned files on my windows 10 computer...
  6. How to expand folder in Quick Access in the Navigation Panel in File Explorer?

How to expand folder in Quick Access in the Navigation Panel in File Explorer?: I can't expand files pinned to 'Quick access'.In the navigation panel of file explorer I am struggling to find a way to make all 'Quick Access' folders expandable on my new computer with Windows 11. I am able to expand the quick access pinned files on my windows 10 computer...
  7. Linux folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Linux folder in File Explorer: Hello. I got a Linux folder here. I don't know what it is or where it came from, I don't know what it's for. How do I get rid of it?When you click on Properties, this error appears....
  8. Linux folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linux folder in File Explorer: Hello. I got a Linux folder here. I don't know what it is or where it came from, I don't know what it's for. How do I get rid of it?When you click on Properties, this error appears....
  9. Linux folder in File Explorer

10. [Help] NVME SSDs Not showing in the navigation panel in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Help] NVME SSDs Not showing in the navigation panel in explorer: I even tried to make Explorer show all folders, but it does not show. Picture submitted by /u/mariogk01 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/flee5k/help_nvme_ssds_not_showing_in_the_navigation/