Windows 10: showing the total of folders/files in drive root

Discus and support showing the total of folders/files in drive root in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Properties are shown differently for folders and roots. Root properties only shows used and free space. Folder properties shows Size, Size on Disk,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gypsycomp, Sep 3, 2016.

1. gypsycomp Win User

showing the total of folders/files in drive root

Properties are shown differently for folders and roots.
    Root properties only shows used and free space.
    Folder properties shows Size, Size on Disk, number of files/folders.
    Questions:
    1 - How can I discover on the root drive the total of folders and files on drive?
    2 - Better, how could I list the number of files within each folder?
    3 - Even better, how could I list the total of subfolders and files at each level within the tree branches?

:)

gypsycomp, Sep 3, 2016

2. Lot of MSI###.tmp folders created in c drive root folder

This solution is the only one that I found to be reliable and working - and I have searched hi and lo.

Great job, JayaramTP!

#Sprachinseln, Sep 3, 2016
  3. Lot of MSI###.tmp folders created in c drive root folder

same on me, the folder was created on restricted permission so I allow all access then delete it 1 by 1 showing the total of folders/files in drive root :(

happy if someone can show us a more easiest way.

Mark Bumagat, Sep 3, 2016
  4. showing the total of folders/files in drive root

You would be asking for a drive graphing program. There are numerous. I'm not completely certain of what you mean, but I believe it would come under one of two programs.

WinDirStat is most peoples first port of call. TreeSize Free will show you the total number of files. I believe the latter has a 30 day trial of it's premium software that would be able to save all kinds of data about your drive to a file.

WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics
    TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs
    Hope this helps.

StarEmpire, Sep 3, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    I'd go for TreeSize Free as well - it shows number of files and sizes for all/any directory or sub-directory you choose. If you wanted though you could do it using the PowerShell Get-ChildItem command
    These are pretty much the same - just change the drive and say if you want files or directories... Code: (Get-ChildItem "C:\" -Recurse -Directory | Measure-Object | %{$_.Count}) | format-table (Get-ChildItem "C:\" -Recurse -File | Measure-Object | %{$_.Count}) | format-table[/quote]
    You could combine the 2 above and make a little loop... Note that if you look at the root of C:\ there are 20000+ sub-directories so it might be a little useless as information (too much of it) although you could output it to excel I suppose..

Anyway if you narrow the starting directory it might be useful. Code: $StartDir = Get-ChildItem "D:\Drivers" -Directory -Recurse | Select -Expandproperty FullName Function New-ReportLine ($Directory,$SubDirectories,$Files) { New-Object -TypeName psObject -Property @{Directory=$Directory; SubDirectories=$SubDirectories; Files=$Files} } $report = $StartDir | ForEach-Object { $SubDirectories = (Get-ChildItem -Directory -Path $_ | Measure-Object | %{$_.Count}) $Files = (Get-ChildItem -File -Path $_ | Measure-Object | %{$_.Count}) New-ReportLine -Directory $_ -SubDirectories $SubDirectories -Files $Files } $report | Format-Table Directory,SubDirectories,Files –AutoSize[/quote] Gives an output like Code: PS C:\Windows\system32> C:\Users\Hali\Desktop\Untitled1.ps1 Directory SubDirectories Files --------- -------------- ----- D:\Drivers\Disk 0 0 D:\Drivers\Network 2 0 D:\Drivers\USB 0 0 D:\Drivers\Network\VEN_14E4_DEV_16A3 1 4 D:\Drivers\Network\VEN_14E4_DEV_4331 0 9 D:\Drivers\Network\VEN_14E4_DEV_16A3\amd64 0 1[/quote]

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

showing the total of folders/files in drive root

1. showing the total of folders/files in drive root - Similar Threads - showing total folders

2. properties of C drive shows more space used than total of all folders on root of C incl....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    properties of C drive shows more space used than total of all folders on root of C incl....: The properties of my local storage C drive show it is using 475 GB of storage. I got the properties of all folders on the root of C drive and the total is only 366 GB. Yes, Hidden and system files are shown. That's over 100GB of space either used or wasted somewhere. I've...
  3. properties of C drive shows more space used than total of all folders on root of C incl....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    properties of C drive shows more space used than total of all folders on root of C incl....: The properties of my local storage C drive show it is using 475 GB of storage. I got the properties of all folders on the root of C drive and the total is only 366 GB. Yes, Hidden and system files are shown. That's over 100GB of space either used or wasted somewhere. I've...
  4. properties of C drive shows more space used than total of all folders on root of C incl....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Root folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Root folder in File Explorer: I am using File Explorer on Windows 11 Pro.I have this folder: C\Users\user\workspace in the address bar of File Explorer. C:\Users\user corresponds to the home folder of the user 'user'.Starting from that folder, I press the button with the arrow pointing upward "go to...
  6. Root folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Root folder in File Explorer: I am using File Explorer on Windows 11 Pro.I have this folder: C\Users\user\workspace in the address bar of File Explorer. C:\Users\user corresponds to the home folder of the user 'user'.Starting from that folder, I press the button with the arrow pointing upward "go to...
  7. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.: This seems to be a permissions problem, but I can't find what's causing this. I have tried many things.I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk. It checks fine and works well with one exception. I can't create folders or files in the root directory. Other directories are...
  8. User folders in root C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User folders in root C: drive: In my new Windows 10, these folders were generated: Intel PerfLogs Program Files Program Files x86 Users Windows Is there a policy of users generating new folders in this root C: drive? On my old W7 PC I had several folders in C:, providing a shorter path for...
  9. Secondary drive folders in root are showing on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Secondary drive folders in root are showing on desktop: I'm having an issue where folders stored at the root of my secondary drive (W: in my case) are displaying on the desktop. For example, if I have a directory called W:\foo, a folder named 'foo' will show up on my desktop. The Properties window shows the location correctly...
  10. {} Files in Windows Root Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    {} Files in Windows Root Folder: I have about 100 files that start with the { character and end with the } character. Inside these two characters are a series of numbers and letters. The file sizes vary from 2-3K. Some of the earliest files are from 2012 and were from prior Windows operating systems. This...